“Below expectations”

Ranked #19 of 20 Hotels in Washington
jc19766
“Below expectations”
Reviewed August 31, 2011

I had a job interview in the area and I had no idea hotel rooms would fill up on a Wednesday evening in Washington/Canonsburg, PA. Apparently this is a destination!

Anyway, after dealing with grouchy hotel clerks (I went to several hotels first but were all sold out, but the clerks didn't have to be rude about it), I came here defeated.

The female desk clerk here was nice though. No complaints there. However, once I got to the room, I noticed a stench in the room. I couldn't identify exactly what it was but eventually I got used to it.

Second, the bed kind of caves in. I looked under the bed and noticed the mattress bulging out onto the floor. I was still able to sleep but it was uncomfortable.

Third, it was VERY dusty. The 1980's tube TV was caked in dust, as well as the furniture and coffee pot.

Fourth, the toilet had to be flushed several times as it seems there is poor water pressure. The bottom of the shower curtain was filled with black mildew as well.

Fifth, the people staying there seemed kind of low class. I heard several people yelling in the parking lot and people were smoking outside in front of my room.

Sixth, the "room" where the ice machine located should be condemned. It was a scary and appeared to be unsafe. There is a separate area for vending way on the other side of the motel and looks equally as bad.

Seventh, I walked around the hotel just for an evening walk, and oh my god, I saw rooms that looked like they were not being used and perhaps were shut down or condemned. There was trash all over the parking lot too.

Eighth, the telephone in the room was very sticky and still had an Econo Lodge logo on it. The alarm clock wasn't working either.

Ninth, at 8:00 AM, housekeeping banged on my door. You would think the front desk and housekeeping would communicate with each other (you know, these rooms are gone, you clean them now instead of blindly knocking on doors).

I left Thursday morning for my interview and I didn't get the job. I just didn't get a good feeling about the general area anyway (lack of customer service seemed common in stores and restaurants) and I'm glad I do not have to move to southwestern Penna.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Acme, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 5, 2011

The room is pretty clean and comfortable, yes the rug has stains and in general the rooms well worn. If a bug or two dosent scare you its not bad. Breakfast is juice coffee and little muffins.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Missouri
Reviewed July 8, 2010

Arrived in Washington late, and it was any port in a storm, so to speak. The worst thing we can say is that the room smelled as though someone had been sick to their stomach and they had been unable to get the smell out of -- what? the carpet, maybe. Very basic. They are now part of the Best Inns of America next door, if that makes any difference. Not handicapped accessible. Bathroom clean and with new fixtures but no amenities except one bar of soap. Bed okay, considering the price, but not great. "Breakfast" equally minimal. But front office pleasant.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lemons1
ABVIWashington, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, June 30, 2011
Dear Valued Guest:
Thank you for taking time to share a review about our hotel. We are happy to know you enjoyed our friendly staff. We take great pride in exceeding guest expectations. We sincerely apologize about the room odor. Please know that we do have our carpets cleaned several times per year. We look forward to another opportunity to service your future lodging needs.

Regards,
Anita-Assistant Manager
Americas Best Value Inn-Washington PA
Morgantown, West Virginia
Reviewed May 31, 2010

We went to this hotel after driving several hours and everywhere else was booked.... we called on the phone and then went there thinking hey it'd be a decent room... since there was no where else to stay so we had to rent 2 rooms due to the number of people with us. First room we went in... the floor was falling in, it smelled really bad, cigarette burns on the tub, not mentioning an ash tray full of butts in the night stand along with several rooms keys.. so to top it off we checked *our* room -non smoking room.. walked in and it stunk, brown stuff on the walls they say ac.. (well it's an air conditioner cut into the wall... windows that aren't safe and anyone can get into bugs (fleas) biting at your legs.. and pubic hair in the sheets! So I was on my way to walmart to buy blankets, and cleaning stuff!! (Which I shouldn't have to do!!!) So I cleaned the room and they have never dusted nor ever cleaned behind the toilet! WE DID NOT SLEEP ONE BIT SO TO TOP IT OFF.... @ 5 AM I heard a bang at the next door and 2 seconds later I hear a man screaming like he was getting killed or something! for 3 min! I have never been scared in my entire life! I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANYONE THEY NEED BETTER MAIDS AND BETTER GUEST IT'S USED BY CONSTRUCTION WORKERS WHO IS REALLY SCARY AND IT WAS NOT SAFE TO STAY THERE WHAT SO EVER! &&&&& VERY DIRTY! && STILL THEY CHARGE YOU 60 DOLLARS A NIGHT! ID RATHER SLEPT IN MY CAR!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Dear Traveler,

Your feedback is very important to us and we appreciate the fact that you took the time to let us know that your stay was not up to your expectations. We apologize for this and will certainly look into your comments and take any appropriate action. It is our goal to provide all of our guests with quality service and comfort at an exceptional price. I have recently joined Americas Best Value Inn-one of the fastest growing hotel chains in the country to better serve the needs of my future guests,.

Regards,
Anita-Assistant Manager
Americas Best Value Inn-Washington PA
PA
Reviewed October 31, 2009

I wish I spent a few bucks more and stay somewhere else....the Ramada on top of the hill across the street looked better...........this hotel seems to be where the construction workers stay while they are in town on a job......
The place was clean but the carpet had that "toe jam" smell

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
morgantown wva
Reviewed July 19, 2008

WE Stayed in a econo lodge last night , It stunk so bad like raw sewage ,The bathroom was mildewed I mean black had not been cleaned Iwiped it ,it came off really easy, cob webs ,and mildew on the other walls, told front desk , said couldnt do any thing .I took several pictures. it is located in washington pa

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — smell, and filth
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bucks County, PA
Reviewed June 11, 2008

After a 5-hr drive we arrived at this EconoLodge for a 2-night stay. As soon as we opened the door, we were engulfed in a musty, moldy smell. The carpets looked clean, but the smell was too much. The furniture was filthy and sticky. The bathtub was new and clean, but there were burns on the side of the tub from drugs and/or cigarettes.

We went across the street and bough air freshener and Clorox wipes. After wiping the entire room down we felt better about having to stay there, but wouldn't let the cleaning staff in the next day to dirty up the room. We had the "do not disturb" sign on the door handle, yet one of the cleaning staff kept peering in our window until I closed the drapes in his face.

They claim to have "continental breakfast". I had to see, so went to the office in the morning. It was a pot of coffee and a bag of muffins from a grocery store.

We will never, ever stay at an EconoLodge again.

• Liked — location near highway
  • Disliked — didn't like anything else about it
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple