“Typical new Candlewood”

Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Washington
Chicago, Illinois
“Typical new Candlewood”
Reviewed November 7, 2010

You know what you get with a Candlewood suites: Clean room, generally new furniture and beds, and no frills. They might give you free coffee in the morning, but not sure as I bolted pretty quick.

I guess these places make sense if you are staying for a week and want to cook things. Problem is the kitchen is literally on top of the bed. If I were staying in a place for a week, there are better alternatives with MUCH larger suites, such as Residence Inn or Summerfield Suites.

For a business guy for a night, it was fine. Was able to get it for $70 a night. It's on top of the highway, so its a little loud. Outback is a couple miles away and there is also a Casino a few blocks away if you are looking to party and gamble.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
CandlewoodWGTFO, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Washington North, responded to this review, November 18, 2010
Hello,

Thank you for your review. I'm glad to see that you enjoyed your one night stay, but I'm saddened to see that you didn't find your room spacious. And the Candlewood Suites chain is a good chain and I'm glad to see that you find the hotels to be to your satisfaction. The next time that you are in Washington and if you stay here, give me a call and I'll ensure to see that you are put in a room that is bigger than the one you were in previously. Thank you for the review!

Natalie Koci

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Pittsburgh
Reviewed October 27, 2010

Stay somewhere else. This place will double charge you for your room if they haven't received payment from your 3rd party vendor (Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, etc.). They will not call and try to get it straightend out, they'll just charge your card and you won't know it till you get your credit card bill. They asked for my credit card upon arrival stating that it was for "confirmation purposes only". They never told me they were charging my card or that they had not received payment from Expedia. I had to find out when I got home and then it took 2 weeks to get it credited from my account. No help at all from the Candlwood staff - only rudeness. At one point they told me this is what I get for using a 3rd party vendor to get a bargain. I said why don't you just give the better deals directly to your consumers? The response was "We aren't a non-profit organization". REALLY NOT WORTH YOUR AGGRAVATION TO STAY HERE. I also gave my comments to Expedia who were the ones who straightened it all out in the end. Apparently they had changed their credit card carrier and Candlewood didn't have their new info. Shame on both Candlewood and Expedia for putting the consumer through all this.

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kamarie7
Hello,

I have read your review and I appologize that some of my staff did not live up to expectations, especially the Front Desk staff. I appreciate the review and the timing of it, as there are several new Front Desk employees and I can show them this review and tell them of the importance of treating each and every guest with respect and to perform their jobs with the best guest service. Please, the next time you are in Washington, please contact me and I will glad to make this situation correct. Thank you.

De Graff, Ohio
Reviewed July 2, 2010

Our family stayed at this hotel for the first time. Upon arrival the girl at the front desk yelled at me for no reason at all. We made the room reservation June 2, 2010. We requested a Queen bedroom suite the bed was not a Queen it was more like a full size bed.

Then later that week on our way back from our vacation when arriving they told us that they overbook. Thus we did not have a room that night and the gentlemen at the desk did not know what to do very very unproffessional. The hotel put us up in a Comfort Inn and Suite accross town (they did pay for it). The Employees at that hotel was very nice but there was construction going on and the room was not like the room requested at Candlewood Suites at all. So needless to say we may not stay again at a Candlewood Suites again.

When I called Guest Relations the girl I talked to was more less ok sorry and did not offer any discounts or a free night stay good for any time with in the next year.
We are even a Priority Club member (believe me that means nonthing with this company)

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank grizzy95
Hello,

I am so sorry to hear about the lack of friendliness and professionalism that one of my staff members displayed. It is not the way how I would expect them to act, and they will be talked to about this. However, I want to express you the option to contact me at the hotel and do whatever it takes to make this situation right. And once again, I appologize that your stay didn't go well, please contact me whenever you can and I'll do what I can to make you happy and show you that what occurred on this particular day was an accident and not the standard. Thank you.

North Canton, Ohio
Reviewed January 9, 2010

We had stayed there a few days, and even though this is a newer hotel, it has a few things one must know. You do not get anything free here...no breakfast, and your room is only serviced once every three days, and even then, they don't clean the room...just put towels in the bathroom and make the bed..on our return, there was the same toothpaste and soap scum on the sinks, that was there three days ago...also, the rooms on the top floors are "cold"...we had to keep the heater at 80 or above to keep the room at 70...even after telling them of the "cold" room, no one every came up to identify or correct the problem....also, if you need anything faxed...do it yourself somewhere else...their staff "had no ideal on how to fax"...and damaged some of my documents I was sending to a client...also, and yes, there is more....the staff will be very vocal on how "their tips are stolen by management"...when we heard this, and their stories of stolen tips, this was NOT the place I wanted spend the next few months. Understaffed, no perks, management who "steals" from their employees....just isn't a place for us.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Angela P
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed November 13, 2009

Highly recommend hotel, stayed October 24-27, 2009 for the Steeler/ Viking game. Easy to get on and off highway fairly close to Pittsburgh about 20 minutes away. Hotel is close to shopping center with a Wal-Mart, Target, Kohls, several chains restaurant about 4 miles away. Front desk very helpful in giving directions. Liked the convenience of the hotel offering free washer and dryer also free DVD movie library. Will stay again when in Pittsburgh.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Ontario
Reviewed September 23, 2009

Stayed here on points for free - regular prices a little high -rooms are worth it though. Less than a mile from The Meadows racetrack and casino - no sidewalks so you must drive. Across road from Tanger outlets - again you must drive - outlets on top of the mountain.
Rooms still have new smell and are decorated very tastefully.
My wife loved this hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple