“Wonderful - best Mexican restaurant in Philly (ok, it's just outside Philly)”
Review of Don Memo - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Don Memo
Reviewed August 22, 2009

When I discover places like this, it reminds my of why I enjoy wandering around trying new restaurants. You never know where you'll stumble across a wonderful little place like this. It's byob. Bring tequilla and they make you a fantastic pitcher of margeritas. Great food, well prepared, large portions, quite atmosphere. Sort of non-descript from the outside. Doesn't look like anything special on the inside, but the service is good, the food delicious, you never feel rushed. It's a great place to take a date or the family.

There are newer reviews for Don Memo

Reviewed April 17, 2009

I had a craving for Mexican food and found this place online. I was really looking forward to finding some good authentic Mexican close to home in what has long time been a haven for various ethnic restaurants, Upper Darby.

Somehow I knew almost instantly after going through the door at Don that this wasn't going to be a great dining experience. The two waitresses completely ignored our party of three standing at the door as if we weren't even there. And there was no hostess. While I understand that they may have been busy, the could have at least acknowledged that they knew we were there. Nothing. Over the course of probably 10 minutes, we watched them clear a table ... piece by piece. Somehow the thought of getting a tray, putting all the dirty dishes on it and getting it to the kitchen never occured to these two.

When we were finally seated, the waitress came over a few minutes later and asked if we wanted water. Probably another 10 minutes passed before she finally brought two glasses of water, for our party of three. She took our drink and food order, sort of. We ordered the guacamole which I heard was fantastic. We ordered tacos and she kept saying "enchilada" over and over again with a question mark at the end. Now, I didn't study spanish in school but I believe taco is taco in spanish! After all that seemed to get cleared up, we sat, and sat. She never once came over to fill our two water glasses and it wasn't until our entrees arrived that our drink order finally arrived.

Oh, that guacamole, yeh, it never showed up!

Now the three of us have our two drinks, and three orders of food yet we have no napkins or utensils. She finally realized and brought utensils over. Guess how many?! You got it - two! She quickly hurried off not hearing us calling to her that we needed more utensils. I finally got so fed up that I got up and walked across the restaurant and explained to her that we needed another set of utensils.

She came back to the table and handed out THREE sets of utensils - right on top of two that were already there.

Now, I'm thinking that this doesn't boil down to a language problem. Its reasonable that in person who speaks whatever language understands that three people get three glasses of water, three napkins and three sets of utensils!

After hour entrees were underway, another waitress came over and asked if we wanted our guacamole. Sorry, guac for dessert just doesn't do it for me and who knows how long that would have taken.

The food, it was good enough but not great enought to make me go back and sit through the waitress from hell. The guacamole I heard was so great, elusive. The salsas were good including a green one that I've never had anywhere else. The rice that came on the side was actually very good. The meat was pretty good in some parts and like dried out jerky in others.

What a disappointment. The search for great Mexian around UD continues.

Reviewed August 1, 2008

Excellent, cheap Mexican. The tacos al pastor and the guacamole both rock.

1  Thank skeric