“Very Quiet”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Flemington, New Jersey, United States
“Very Quiet”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Took a date to this place for bday. Food is very good. Saturday night was very quiet. Granted it is on a small 2 lane highway and if you blink you might miss it. The peacan salmon was outstanding.

Great views.

Service was very good. Would recommend.

• Visited August 2013

Pennsylvania
“Quaint Dining by the River”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

If you're traveling in Bucks County, PA, head up north River Road (Route 32) to the Indian Rock Inn. Although we were not there for an overnight, there are guest rooms available.
We had dinner there on a recent Saturday night, and we'll definitely be going back and taking family and friends!
For a salad we had the traditional Caesar salad. It was perfect. Some Caesars can be overwhelming with the dressing, but this was the perfect combination of romaine and dressing. All the good flavors came through.
I had a tuna steak, cooked rare. It was topped with a blend of yellow and orange cherry tomatoes and capers and seasonings. It was so very good and tasty. My husband had the ribs. We were told by our waitress the rub was the owner's own recipe -- and it was a great one! A huge rack of ribs was served that was very meaty and tasty. For the first time my husband needed a doggy bag.
For dessert we selected the bread pudding with strawberries and blueberries topped with homemade whipped cream - very light and tasty! My husband had a vanilla raspberry cheesecake, also very well made and tasty.
The bartender and wait staff were all very friendly and knowledgeable about the menu.
Ask to sit in the room on the left side of the inn. It has large windows and looks out onto the Delaware Canal and River. Such a nice place to sit and eat!!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank rungirlrun308
US
“Quirky Little Spot with Delaware River view”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We found this spot as we were looking to find a place to eat on our way out of Bucks County heading north. We picked up one of those tourist brochures near Valley Forge and headed toward the Delaware river.

Having never been to this part of PA - we were looking forward to heading into Bucks Cty - well we followed 611 into Doylestown area and were disappointed by the area in general until we got north into more rural area - we decided on getting to stop along the Del river and someplace in Upper Black Eddy area would work - not many choices out that way - so we picked Indian Rock Inn.

We were a bit early for their dinner time - but they cheerfully seated us. The chef was sitting in the dining room going over a few things and wrapped up - he chatted with us and made a few recommendations - one of which was their Boulder style Onion soup. I was less hungry than my travelling companion - so love Onion soup and Blue Cheese - so I went for it , they had std Onion soup on menu - but since Ihad it hte night before - I was feeling adventurous!

GLAD I DID! Onion soup broth was perfect, and the blue cheese (you MUST like blue cheese to enjoy this) was creamy and spicy complement to the crispy, melted provolone!

I had the lobster cakes as an appetizer - also very nicely done, softly sauteed with chunks of lobster and bits of crunch red pepper with just a hint of heat = perfect for me.

The other order was steamed clams to start and their chateau filet for dinner - I tried the steamed clams - fresh, sweet, tender manilas perfectly cooked in a rich clam broth ( and NO garlic) - the steak was prepared as ordered with the blue cheese and not a bite was left......

The cocktail was just ok - prob should have ordered wine or beer - but a pumpkin cocktail (had them elsewhere) sounded like fun - but was a disappointment

They had 2 desserts that evening - we ordered 1 of each: chocolate ganache and creme brulee - both nicely prepared, not too sweet - ganache was plenty of chocolate without being cloying or overpowering, the brulee was creamy and smooth with a perfectly done burnt sugar cap.....

Table service was efficient but a bit on the odd side - don't know how else to explain it,not uncomfortable - but not smooth either - the waitress at times struggled with her english but seemed to know the menu offerings if not how to smoothly translate them to us (8-.) ... the busboy seemed a little awkward - but it sort of added to the quirky charm of this place in the woods....

Would I go here again - yes.

But it is off the beaten path, but probably a place to seriously consider if you are wandering around the area and looking for a dinner a notch above what you are likely to get in that neck of the woods (literally)

• Visited November 2012
New Jersey
“Amazing”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

The food was outstanding and very delicious!! Service was great! Can't wait to go back to this nice restaurant next time we are in the area for dinner. Great sunset!

• Visited October 2012
Upper Black Eddy, Pennsylvania
“Great Food/Some Improvements Needed”
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We live extremely close to the Indian Rock Inn and like to eat here, since we know that we receive a consistantly good meal at a decent price. (Keep reading though).

We are steak people and like to try the same cut steak in different places. The Indian Rock has a fantastic filet that is priced quite resonably. We have always gotten it with the blue cheese topping. We love it this way! Not just blue cheese crumbles and not quite a dressing it is somewhere in between and very delicious. The Filet comes out sliced and topped with the dressing. You can request that the dressing be placed on the side. Many places that we have eaten at, have great main dishes but fail when it comes to the sides. The Indian Rock provides an excellent side of mashed potatoes and the vegetables are to die for! You receive both garlic green beans if you like a bit of a bite and carrots as well, if you like something a little sweet.

I have also ordered (when available) the Crab Savannah, this is crab in what tastes like a wine sauce topped with cheese and baked (picture a crock of french onion soup), kind of like that but in a lower, wider in diameter dish. It is very tasty as well. There are things on the bar menu that are not listed on the fine dining menu. They offer some delicious wings in the bar area, you can order them in the fine dining area but they just aren't on the menu.

The Indian Rock also offers a grilled ceasar salad with chipotle dressing. VERY good too! Just about everything that we have ordered from the Indian Rock, has been delicious. The chef really knows what he is doing. My ONLY (minor) complaint about the food, is the butter that they bring out with your rolls. It's nice to see a pretty little swirl of butter that they offer but it is cold and hard as a rock and you can't spread it on your roll at all.

The food is really the only reason we go to the Indian Rock. Now I will talk about what I think about major negatives about the place. I am sure in the past, the Indian Rock could have been considered "Fine Dining" but lets face it, the place has become just a place for locals to hang out. This is extremely evident by the fact that the bar seems like it is always packed and that they overflow onto the porch. Seems like a good thing right? Well, we have more than a couple of times thought to go out to eat (on the dining side) and get to the Indian Rock and there is NO parking and when I mean no parking I mean NO parking. If you are lucky on a weekend night you will get a spot. And it's not like you can park farther away and walk to the place, it's carved into the side of a mountain, so the only parking is what they have there. So on the occasions when the lot is full, we keep on driving and our business goes someplace else that evening. I am sure we are not the only people to feel that way.

So if you are lucky enough to get a parking spot and you want to sit in the dining section, you go in the door off the outside eating area. If you park on the dining side of the building, you have to walk through the dining area but if you are unfortunate and have to park on the bar side and you want to eat on the dining side, well then odds are you have to walk through a bunch of people hanging out on the front porch, smoking. Yuck. Kind of gross if you ask me. And smack dab in the middle of those smokers, usually the guy that owns the place. Really? This is fine dining? He's also the guy that lurks around the place, only approaching our table when my sister and I were alone and my husband was using the restroom. A bit of a creeper if you ask me.

After walking through the cloud of smoke, you get inside and are seated, inside-usually in the closed in porch area (with the little fireplace). We have been there a number of times and have never sat in the room that separates the porch area and the bar. The tables are always clean but the oriental rug on the floor is filthy and if you are daring, look up and check out the air vent in the ceiling, the disgusting, filthy vent that may or may not be directly above the food you will be eating. Nasty. Can't imagine when the last time that was cleaned.

We have never sat outside on the deck for dinner, too close to the road, who knows what's being kicked up on your food while you eat. Smoke from the people hanging on the porch, I am sure drifts down to where you are sitting and that's not a topping I care to add to my food. And the table and chairs are just cheap. If I wanted to sit on a plastic table and chair, I would do it at a beach bar, NOT at a place that is supposed to be considered fine dining

Bottom line, the food is great but the place could use some improvement. This place has been listed for sale for more than a year. It's obvious that the chef still cares about what goes out of his kitchen but as for the ownders, pride in ownership is not evident, at least not in the areas I have seen.

• Visited June 2012