“A lovely, personalized meal”
Review of Tara - CLOSED

Tara
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 10, 2011

When our B&B manager suggested we have dinner at Tara, we at first demurred, explaining that we two of our party of four were vegans, and it seemed to us impossible that an Italian restaurant featuring truly fine food could accommodate our dietary needs. She phoned them a day ahead and they said they'd be glad to put together a vegan meal for us. Yowee!! What a treat it was. We each had a huge platter placed before us that was a visual delight and a gastronomic triumph. It featured a variety of different vegetable offerings, each one absolutely delicious. How very nice of them to take the trouble to do this for us.

6  Thank kaygee38

Reviewed October 24, 2010

My wife and I have been to Tara twice - and loved it both times. Our food has is seasoned perfectly - the cook (owners wife) is an outstanding chef. The menu has some interesting dishes - I once had veal oscar which was perfectly executed. This is a restaurant for special occasions and that's the atmosphere. The dining room is well appointed w/ antiques and beautiful furniture. The bar is beaufiul. My only complaint is that its not cheap - quite expensive actually. That said, its hand-crafted food w/ great ingrediants. We have found the total dining experience to be far superior to many of the "hot" restaurants in NYC or Philly.... Its a trip! Highly recommended

7  Thank drfloyd21
Reviewed October 2, 2010

Tara was such a unique restaurant! You are actually eating in someone's living room. My husband and I were celebrating our 10 yr anniversary and couldnt be happier with our experience. The owners have such pride in what they do and the remaining staff treat the restaurant as if its their own. You will not be disappointed at Tara-excellent wine list, phenominal cuisine and delicious cordials. ENJOY!

4  Thank gd7
Reviewed August 22, 2010

While a lot of the reviews are old......Our family has been going to this restaurant for 10+ years and we LOVE it! We always do the 'family' dinner in the kitchen. You can only have 10 people, to eat in the kitchen and there is no menu, we just eat what Rita prepares.
Jim greets us at the door and we go to the bar for cocktails. When we are ready, we go into the kitchen (yes it is Jim & Rita's kitchen) for a feast that lasts about 3 hours. If you do this meal you must pace yourself. Just when you think you're done....more food comes out! We've never had anything that we didn't absolutely rave over. I think one of our most favorites is the naked ravioli. Melts in your mouth! The home made red and white wines are top notch and go well with the meal. The desserts are delicious too! But don't be fooled into thinking that you are done after dessert. The last course is coffee/espresso and fruit! Once we are sufficiently stuffed, we go back to the bar for an after dinner drink. The service is attentive without being obtrusive and we really like eating in the kitchen. It is a very homey atmosphere in a beautiful setting on the top of a hill in Bucks County.

6  Thank travel_queen100
Reviewed August 16, 2008

August 14, 2008.
I've lived in Upper Bucks County for 17 years and only found out about TARA a few months ago. I've been to every restaurant from New Hope to Reigelsville on both sides of the Delaware river and there are several that provide good food, service and ambiance. Frenchtown Inn has been a perennial favorite since Chef Tomko became Chef/owner.
However, Tara is in a class of it's own with casually elegant decor, discreet yet very personal service by the owners and a delightfully interesting menu with a northern Italian slant. (If you want spaghetti and meatballs with a heavy red tomato sauce you won't find it here).
For a appetizer I ordered lobster scampi which was broiled in a nice garlic butter sauce while my wife had had hot crab which was very large chunks of crab meat in a butter sauce.
For the salad course I had Tuscany salad with a wonderfully light strawberry balsamic vinaigrette while my wife had pears, prosciiutto and gorganzolla salad. A perfectly balanced salad with broiled pears.
Broiled shrimp with saffron rissotto was my wonderful (albeit rich) entree and my wife had fillet with Bearnaise sauce. The fillet was not as tender as they are at the Frenchtown Inn, however, very tasty.
We had the house blend Cabernet wine which was exceptional (for a house wine).
We had the place to ourselves which made the birthday dinner for my wife a little extra special.
Without a doubt Tara is the finest restaurant that we've been to within a 20 mile radius of Erwinna. It is a bit more expensive than Golden Pheasant, Frenchtown Inn, Black Bass, Evermay, etc, But once you' ve been there you'll know why and why it's worth every penny.

4  Thank Ottsville_PAJohn