“Tasty, but call ahead to check food availability”

Catherine's Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Unionville
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: RTS. 82 & 162
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Tasty, but call ahead to check food availability”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

The building doesn't look like much when you drive up, but there is a really quaint courtyard area, and the dining room seems huge. We went on a Thursday night, and the place was almost empty. The menu was very seafood-heavy (7 of the 9 entrees), which is not my favorite. The only entree I wanted was the duck, so I was very disappointed when the server said they were out of duck. I had two apps instead - the spicy Caesar salad (a great twist on a usually predictable item) and a smoked ravioli dish that was really tasty. My husband liked the mushroom and crab soup, plus his filet. We passed on desserts because we were so full. When I asked a friend if she'd ever been there, her answer was "Yes, several times, and they always are out of something. One time they were even out of Diet Coke." So, my advice is to call ahead to check the availability of whatever you're jonesing for. I will go back, but only after I confirm they have duck!

• Visited August 2012

Middletown, PA
“Unique experience”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Food was very good, interesting restaurant, service was good. The lack of lighting should make it a romantic restaurant, but it was so busy that night it was very loud...couldn't hear eachother!

Visited October 2011
West Chester
“Met our expectations!”
Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

We visit Catherine's about once a month. The restaurant overall has been consistent; the dishes are unique, tasteful albeit a little pricey. We prefer a slower pace of service so the comments here about slow service don't really bother us. When we dine at a restaurant like Catherine's we prefer a slower pace, want to relax and savor the food, our wine and of course the conversation and companionship.
The mushroom soup with crab meat is superb. Regardless of the weather, even during warm summer evenings, the soup is something you must try. We have had the blackened tuna and crab cake entrees, no complaints. At our last vist we tried the mixed berry pie for dessert. A great way to finish a great dinner.

Bristol
“Where's the Shrimp”
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Jumbo Shrimp & Paparadelle Noodles asparagus, caramelized ginger & lemon basil 24.95 - I didn't realize that would mean 3 shrimp. Was a bit surprised. Was good but thought expensive. Service was slow and I imagine would be noisy had many more people been there. Very cute outside area.

• Visited July 2012
Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
“Favotite for breakfast”
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Great applewood smoked bacon for breakfast. A little noisy and slow service, but good food.

Visited March 2012