“Should be nicer for the price”

Crowne Plaza Philadelphia - Bucks County
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Trevose
Waukesha, Wisconsin
“Should be nicer for the price”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I'm not a picky traveler, but I'd expect things to work . . . that is my disclaimer. My wife, our toddler and I stayed for three nights for a family gathering. After our first night, the housecleaners did not even enter our room to clean it when we were gone. At 10pm when we returned, I went to the front desk to ask for someone to empty our trash so we wouldn't have to smell dirty diapers all night. 5 mins later a staff member showed up, changed the trash and brought new towels. Points for (sort of) fixing the problem. The Wi-Fi in our room was spotty at best and kept kicking me off the ipad, requiring multiple log-ins on each use. The TV remote only let you scan channels down, not up. I tried to call for a wake-up call using the room phone, but it kept hanging up on me. After about 6 attempts I gave up, fearing if they did try to call us on the house phone it might not work. I used my cell phone alarm instead. What else...the door to the bathroom wouldn't secure or lock, which isn't helpful with a toddler around. We did not use the restaurant or fitness room, but did swim, which was fine. Our room (126) was quiet, but the hotel is set far back from busy Street Road, that I think most rooms would be relatively quiet. Our room is right around the corner from the lobby, but we never were disrupted by the noise.
The price is comprable for the amenities compared to other hotels in the area, but attention to maintenance issues is definitely warranted. We picked this hotel based upon having an indoor pool instead of an outdoor one in the spring. Choose better.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank gryhound
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Philadelphia - Bucks County, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear gryhound,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied and we try our best to fulfill all our guest requests. I apologize for the shortfalls during your recent stay with us. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Reviewed April 25, 2013

My wife and I along with our guests were at the hotel over the weekend of April 19-21, 2013 for our son's wedding. We certainly chose the right place to stay!

There are many people who deserve to be complimented:

Kristin, Michelle, and everyone else at the front desk were awesome. Sorry I can't recall all of the names. We had 700-800 flowers delivered to the desk and they were brought up to our room by the bell hop who also removed all of the empty containers, etc. upon request. They also helped us to juggle many of the reservations and handled it happily and easily. All of the front desk staff were very pleasant, knowledgeable, and accommodating. All of you were simply wonderful!

The maintenance man - he came right away to look at the A/C and refrigerator and got things working correctly. He checked back with us later and also inquired how the wedding plans were coming along and how we were holding up a couple of days later. He even helped me to hook up my trailer in the parking lot! Very impressive!

Crystal - Meetings Director. Our experience with Crystal both in person several weeks ahead of the wedding and through phone calls and emails was outstanding. Everything met our expectations. Crystal is the best!

Maureen - Catering Director. Our initial meeting with Maureen was very pleasant and positive and she followed up on all of our requests. Everything was perfect. We had the Wedding Rehearsal and Dinner in two separate rooms. The rooms were set up perfectly and we had a practice dance floor set up for us at our request. Very nice! The food was delicious (buffet) and the service was excellent. Well done!

Sharon and Sue serviced us for the Rehearsal Dinner. They are very friendly, efficient, and happy to accommodate their guests. You both exemplify professional service in your words and actions. Sharon went above and beyond to make sure we had everything done according to our expectations. Thank you for making the dance floor bigger at the last minute :) We couldn't have hoped for anything better!

The wedding was held nearby and the Crowne Plaza was BY FAR the best place to book our stay for ourselves and our guests. No accommodations in the immediate area were close to comparable to the quality of the Crowne Plaza.

The beds were comfortable. The rooms were clean and cozy. The in-room refrigerator and microwave were great. The exercise facilities were very nice. The pool was warm and clean. The hot tub was great. There is a sauna room in the pool area as well. The banquet rooms are beautiful!

We didn't go to the restaurant for breakfast. We used the refrigerator to stock breakfast and lunch items to save money. The restaurant is open for a breakfast buffet and closed the rest of the day. You can put in an order for breakfast to be delivered to your room. Lunch and dinner is served in the bar. The food is very good.

In looking at other reviews, I have some comments:

Luggage carts - Yes, they are a little wobbly. Maybe the wheels need to have a little air put in them. They are well-built carts. Don't downgrade your review just because of a cart.

Traffic noise - We were on the 5th floor room 501 which requires key access. It's not a big deal. Again, don't downgrade the experience because of this. All of our wedding guests were on the same floor which was very nice. The odd number rooms face away from the road. ALL hotels have a side that faces traffic. This is not a reason to downgrade your review.

Staff - This was the best part of our entire experience. We met some wonderful people that work at the Crowne Plaza and will have fond memories of how well we were treated, from the General Manager to the Directors, Managers, Event Personnel, Front Desk Staff, Bell Hops, and Maids. I can't believe anyone could have a bad experience with any of these people. They were all great!

We highly recommend the Crowne Plaza and would not hesitate to stay again in the future.

Room Tip: Odd number rooms face away from traffic.
2 Thank TimBrenda
Colchester, Connecticut
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Stayed at this hotel while visiting relatives. There were 2 adults and 2 children in our party. This hotel seemed to have a good rating. I was greeted at the front desk as a Priority Club Rewards member. I was given the key to my room and I went to get my luggage from the car. I grabbed a luggage cart, piled on the suitcases, and awkwardly tried to steer the cart through the doors. I was having difficulty turning the cart and watched as at least two employees walked right on by without acknowledging my difficulty. I finally got it into the main lobby, then had to look around for the elevators. The front desk clerk finally pointed the way. Again, I struggled getting the unruly cart onto, then off the elevator and eventually down the hall to our room. We had two double beds in the room and, honestly, it was rather crowded just with the beds. I DID like the mini-fridge and microwave, and the bathroom was okay except for the big chip out of the side of the tub and a drain that had to be physically removed from the tub in order to drain it. The room looked clean so we decided to make do for the night. I was taken aback when I looked out the window with a view of a huge dumpster and the Pennsylvania Turnpike. The highway noise did not allow for a good night's sleep. The kids were excited about the listed game room and, after looking all over for it, I was told by the front desk staff that the game room was being converted into a Yoga room. The kids were disappointed and I just checked and the game room is still listed as an amenity on their website. The next morning, we were planning to leave around 10AM, 2 hours ahead of their posted
check-out time. Between 8AM and 10AM, we had no less than 4 people knock on our door to see if we checked out yet, despite telling each one our plan. Despite all our room troubles, I thought the restaurant and breakfast room staff were wonderful! I just don't think this particular hotel meets the normal Crown Plaza standards.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 442. I'm assuming that an odd number room would not overlook the turnpike and...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Philadelphia - Bucks County, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear springsong,

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Trevose hotels

Trevose, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 20, 2013

brady's is fun the staff was excellent and we had so much fun they have 30 different beers on tap and plenty of bottled beer amy and rich are great bartender's . they have delicious food and are friendly and knowledgeable about the different beers and the area also. nice pool inside and fitness room too. highly recommend . wait staff also excellent our food was delivered fast and never had to ask for anything . mike the manager was also very nice . you can tell these people have been together for some time great experience kids loved the place too.

2 Thank growler1970
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I have come to the Crowne Plaza - Bucks County many times. The main reason why I choose this hotel is because of the great on site restaurant "Brady's" . They have great service from all the staff especially Rich and Mike, the huge selection of beers and great food is what keeps me coming back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank 97tonyg
Reza G, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Philadelphia - Bucks County, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear "97tonyg"
Thank you very much for your kind words about our hotel and the team.
We appreciate your loyalty.
I will pass on your comments to the rest of the team and we hope to see you soon.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I was recently at the Crown Plaza with a wedding party, while the reception was elsewhere the party continued back at the hotel. The hotel itself was great, nice clean rooms and comfy bed, I was very happy that the wedding party chose this hotel for their after wedding accommodations. When we got back from the reception most of the party headed to the restaurant and bar at the hotel, which is fantastic, they had really good food and drinks at great prices. The beer selection is fantastic (I would come back just for that if you're a beer aficionado) they have a huge rotating beer selection. More importantly the service was great, the whole staff was very friendly and accommodating, even the manager checked on all of us and happily greeted us all. The next morning we had breakfast at the restaurant and again it more than lived up to expectations the breakfast was very good and we were again treated with such great service. I would highly recommend the hotel and restaurant if you are in the Bucks County area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank MikeL558
Dear "mikel558"
Thank you for your kind words.
We realize while traveling, you have many choices for hotels and do appreciate your loyalty.
You opinion matters to us and other travelers and we appreciate you taking the time to write about us.
Nashville
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this Crowne Plaza for two nights, using points. Our room was on the fifth floor, one of two levels accessible only by card. Although the room was clean and the bed was fairly comfortable, there was a lot of noise from the heating unit, the street, and the room above, which didn't make for the most restful of nights. What was more disturbing, however, is that on our second night, we tried to phone for a wake-up call, only to find the phones in the room were not working. We resorted to using the alarm clock, but discovered by chance in the middle of the night that the clock had the wrong AM/PM setting, so the alarm would not go off when needed (thank goodness for cell phone alarms!). When we went to check out the next morning and told the front desk attendant about the phones, we were informed that none of the phones in the hotel were working! They had never bothered to post any kind of notice to let their patrons know about the problem. In addition, as Priority Club members, we've usually been offered a free bottle of water at other Holiday Inn properties. Here, we were charged $2. When I saw someone getting two bottles at no cost the next morning, I was told I could have another bottle (for free), but that they "usually" did charge. I questioned that because of my previous experience at Holiday Inn Express, and was told "That's a different chain, so they have different policies." Aren't they all part of the same company? The nicest thing I can say is that for a hotel chain, the food in the restaurant was reasonably priced.

Dear Beth W,
Thank you very much for your candid opinion of your experience at our hotel.
It was quite an unfortunate situation that your stay dates coincided with an unexpected area wide telephone service outage, I do assure you that an emergency phone was available.
We do appreciate your other comments and I will personally address them with our operating team.
I do thank you for your compliments about of food and beverage quality and service.
We look forward to seeing you soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trevose
Radisson Hotel Philadelphia Northeast
Sheraton Bucks County Hotel
Hampton Inn & Suites Philadelphia/Bensalem
Holiday Inn Bensalem - Philadelphia Area
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#7 of 9 in Bensalem
Best Western Plus Philadelphia Bensalem Hotel

Been to Crowne Plaza Philadelphia - Bucks County? Share your experiences!