“Not terrible but not great either”

SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Mills
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tarentum
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
“Not terrible but not great either”
Reviewed August 17, 2008

We spent 2 weeks at this hotel and during that time it became evident that they have some problems.

First the good: The housekeeping staff is excellent - the rooms are very clean and the ladies are very nice. The workout room is pretty good - newish equipment but not much of it. The pool is tiny but adequate. The location is about as good as it gets in this area - plenty of restaurants (bad chain food) within walking distance. Having a refridgerator and microwave in the room came in very handy!

The bad: the beds are lousy with hard mattresses and cheap bedding- not like typical Springhill Suites or other Marriott property beds at all. The front desk staff is just surly with the exception of one younger woman who was quite nice. The breakfast buffet staff is WORSE. They act like you are stealing food or something - when I commented about the shrill squeak from the chaffing dish the women was very put out and said that she could fix it but then how was she to know that "someone had been into it"... Ah.. I don't know - drag your lazy butt out and look rather than subject your guests to a nails on the chalkboard screech every time they try to get some food. After that we bought cereal and ate in the room.

If you have to stay here at least it is clean but don't expect much else.

• Liked — the housekeeping staff
  • Disliked — the screeching chaffing dish and breakfast area staff
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank Artistseye

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Florence, Italy
Reviewed August 10, 2008

...which is not to say that it is a great hotel... but it is a pleasant enough place.

We stayed here for a two week stint and found the staff to be nice - if a little odd. The breakfast was as good as could be expected.... the sausage was a bit greasy... but the worst part was the squeaky chafing dish... when I asked, the lady didn't want to fix it because she could hear how many people "got into it" from inside the kitchen.

The front desk staff was helpful... friendly enough....

The room was about what I expect from a Marriott property. The beds are not going to give you an pain... but then they will not give you the best night's sleep you ever had either....

The surrounding area is full of chain places to eat... so... if you are a typical business traveller, you will have all the normal choices for dining.

I would probably stay here again...

• Liked — Proximity to customer
  • Disliked — Surrounded by bad chain restaurants
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank bisbohemian
Gateshead, Tyne & Wear
Reviewed May 27, 2008

Spent a week here recently. Superb hotel. Clean, beautiful rooms and could not fault very helpful staff. Breakfast choice was excellent. Pool was great as was business section.
Plenty of eating places within walking distance. Shops all around, but nevertheless a quiet area. Great centre for touring.

• Liked — Friendlyness of staff
  • Disliked — Lack of footpaths in area
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Houston
Reviewed March 10, 2008

I stayed here for 2 weeks then had to travel somewhere else, then came back and experienced more problems when I stayed for another week.

First off, the amenities are great at the hotel. The breakfast, the rooms, and the exercise room are all great. The service needs mega improvement. Just know this, if you experience any real problems, the front desk staff and manager are unapologetic and downright rude.

I was staying for business/pleasure, the front desk told me they needed a card for incidentals, so I gave them MY personal card, instead of charging the business card, they charged my personal card. When I left the hotel, I checked with the front desk to see if they had charged my business card, they said they had. Then I checked with co workers of mine, the same thing had happened to them. When we called to inquire about why the hotel had charged the entire stay on our cards, they said they had not and they had charged it our business card. This wasn't the case as I found out only from being denied when I used my card. I called them 3 times before I finally spoke to a manager. Meanwhile, my debit card (which was supposedly only for incidentals) was maxed out by the hotel.

When I was inquiring at the hotel about the status of my refund, I would go (naturally) to the front desk. I found the front desk, despite the fact it was their mistake, was rude. Specifically, I remember the front desk associate sighing at me, and giving me a rolling eyes stare when I inquired about it. No empathy or actual sign of trying to work with a customer whom they faulted.

Second off, a co worker was supposed to receive mail there, twice they rejected the mail even though he went through the proper channels to explain to them he would be checking out, but for them to hold on to it for 2 hours until someone would be able to pick it up.

If you do need to stay at springhill suites, try the one on federal rd in downtown pittsburgh. this one isn't worth it.

• Liked — Clean rooms, good breakfast
  • Disliked — Front desk staff was rude, unpleasant when presented with a problem
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
ny
Reviewed January 19, 2008

Our family of 5 stayed here on a weekend getaway. It was perfect for us! Plenty of room for my 2 toddlers, preschooler, my husband & me! The seperate living area was great because we could put the little ones to bed early and we could stay up. There was even a small kitchen area. The kids loved the indoor pool/hot tub. The area around the hotel had plenty of restaurants & a shopping mall. Definately more of a quiet area of Pittsburgh but a short drive to the city.

• Liked — Plenty of room, living area
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed July 21, 2007

My husband and I stayed here for one night in June 2007 and loved it! The hotel is very new - opened sometime within the past year or two. Everything (lobby, hallways, rooms, etc.) is immaculately clean and tastefully decorated (modern, "funky" decor, in the rooms at least). We stayed in a one-bedroom suite. There is a minibar, sitting area (couch, coffee table, computer desk), and the bedroom area. The bathroom is set up so that the sink and vanity area is separate from the toilet / shower area. I have zero complaints about this hotel! Service was friendly, it was a very quiet night (no street noise), and it was very, very clean and spacious. This has become our hotel of choice for whenever we visit the area.

Just an FYI for those not familiar with the hotel location: it is located at Pittsburgh Mills, which is a rather large shopping and dining complex. Surrounding restaurants include an Olive Garden, Applebees, Longhorn Steakhouse, and others. The Pittsburgh Mills mall is a medium-sized mall with the typical stores. There is a miniature golf course and a movie theater located in the mall as well. However, to get to anything that truly represents the city of Pittsburgh or the culture of western Pennsylvania (as opposed to a bunch of national retail stores and chain restaurants), you will need a car. That being said, this hotel is so much nicer than most other area hotels in the same price range, so if you have a car, I highly recommend it!!

• Liked — Modern decor, cleanliness
  • Disliked — location (not near any local attractions other than a mall / restaurants)
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank Iridescentkittie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarentum
Hampton Inn & Suites Pittsburgh/Harmarville
Omni William Penn Hotel
#6 of 70 in Pittsburgh
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,854 reviews
Hotel Indigo Pittsburgh East Liberty

Been to SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Mills? Share your experiences!