“Customer Service Poor”

SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Mills
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tarentum
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I was going to rate this hotel a 1 due to the unbelievably poor customer service by Gloria Butts however I felt it wouldn't be fair to rate the hotel low overall based on one person. Ms. Butts is the absolute poorest representative of customer service I have experienced. Demeaning, rude and an embarrassment to the remaining staff at Springhill Suites. Luckily the hotel itself has a complimentary breakfast and the rooms are a decent size. The remaining staff (especially the manager) was courteous, accommodating and personable.

Room Tip: Choose a King Size bed. The doubles are too small.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Lauren B
janine z, Assistant Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Mills, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide you feedback regarding our hotel. I am certainly disappointed that your stay was not was not all that it could have been. If you would like to elaborate on the situation by contacting the hotel directly, I would be glad to access any problems.

Janine Z
Assistant Manager

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Originally planned on staying only 2 nights at this hotel and ended up staying 4. The location is convenient to RT 28, the PA Turnpike and The Pittsburgh Mills shopping mall, making our visits to family around the area very easy. The room was very clean and comfortable, the bed was firm with a quilt top, and the bathroom clean. The towels were not the highest quality, but that is the only blemish I can recall. The free breakfast was above average. I noticed the attention to detail the attendants took with the entire breakfast bar display. In fact, that is why I decided to write a review for this hotel. In fact, everyone working there seemed to really take the extra step to make the hotel pleasant, clean, and memorable. After staying there, I understand why they charge the rates they do - the quality is definitely present. But with that said, it still seemed slightly overpriced for the area and with no other hotels around to compete with, I gave it a 4 rating because of value.

Room Tip: To save a little $$, stay in the King Suite instead of the Double Queen.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights while visiting family in Pittsburgh. There are not many hotels in this area. This hotel is next to a nice shopping area. Since there are no other hotel choices, this hotel should be kicking butt.
It is certainly not a five star hotel so I can't give it excellent. However, I had a level of expectation and this hotel met that level.
The staff was very friendly. They engaged in conversation and made sure we were satisfied.
The rooms were nice and clean. The only issue we had was the toilet wabbled a little. Need to tighten that thing up.
The bed was comfortable and the room was a nice size. The breakfast was a typical continental breakfast. I thought the selection was a little slim but the food was good.
The price was a little high. I think the fact that they are about the only game in town allows them to charge more. Even so, it is a little high for this quality of hotel. I am a Marriott rewards member so we stay at a lot of Marriott hotels.
Based on location and meeting my expectations, I would stay there again.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

As ever, enjoyed stay at this hotel, great rooms and great staff. Only thing that let it down on this visit was the service at brealfast. It looked like only one person was providing the service and they were flying round trying to keep up with demand at busy times. Consequently you would sometimes have to wait a while for some items to be restocked. Hables could get a bit dirty at times as they weren't wiped down at all. Pity as everything else about this hotel is first class

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear away from the lifts are really quiet
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on 5/18/13. A saturday night. There were 2 wedding parties so the hotel was full nad all they had left was a handicap room. it was really nice, but the bathroom set-up was not as comfortable for us as a regular room would be.
The hotel staff was very helpful and friendly.
The breakfast was very good. It ws very crowded though and tables were at a premium. Some of the breakfast items weren't replenished quickly because of the demand.
I'd stay here again.

1  Thank afkrenbu
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I have stayed at this Springhill Suites a couple of times in the past year, so my review is kind of a compilation and overall property review, not about any 1 stay. My company opened an office off of Highway 28 in the RIDC park in 2012, and we have a customer a little east of that, so the Springhill Suites is really the best possible location for our business needs. Fortunately for us, the hotel is relatively new and well suited for business travelers. It has all of the standard amenities you would expect at a mid-grade Marriott property and the staff is always friendly and helpful. Even thought it is close access to the highway, the hotel lies at the very back of the Pittsburgh Mills retail development, so noise from traffic is not a concern. Also because of the mixed-use development, there are no shortages of restaurants to choose from (Red Robin, Applebees, Chilis, SmokeyBones, 5 Guys, just to name a few) plus there is a Wal-Mart and even an OfficeDepot where we have gone to prepare some presentations for our business meetings. And we have also found that despite the somewhat onerous traffic on Highway 28, it is a reasonable drive into Pittsburgh at night to eat at some of the nicer restaurants there if we are in the mood. Overall the Springhill Suites is our "home away from home" when we are working in Pittsburgh. My one word of caution is that because is it one of the few nice hotels in the immediate area, you should make sure to book in advance because it is known to sell out during the week.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Pleasant, clean, new facility. Continental breakfast was good and provided many choices....but all along the usual continental brakfast line (bagels, commercial pastries, cereal, yogurt, boiled eggs, biscuits and gravy, french toast, mini omelettes, make-your-own waffels, english muffins, fresh fruit (apples, oranges, banannas). Nicely spacious rooms with a mini 'living room' area with a work desk. Convenient mini 'fridge, bar sink, microwave in the room. Stores, restaurants, cinema very closeby (many within walking distance). There was a pool and exercise room also. Whirlpool out of order during our stay...disappointing. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarentum
Southside Flats
SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Southside Works

Been to SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Mills? Share your experiences!