“Pretty good for PA”

Ranked #2 of 43 Restaurants in Tannersville
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Having lived near the water in MD for years, we are pretty picky with seafood restaurants. Smuggler's Cove was pretty good. We enjoyed the fish and seafood combo. Service was slow even though the place was not very busy on a Saturday afternoon. Decor is a bit cheesy like you may see in a touristy beach resort area.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We had dinner at Smuggler's Cove on Sunday evening (10/28/12). My son lives in the area and we eat there once in a while. I ordered the 1 1/4 lb lobster. When it came out it was overcooked but I was hungry so I started to eat it anyway. The claws were ok but when I took a bite of the tail meat I had to spit it out. There was a strong taste and odor of bleach.

I spoke to the manager who was very young and obviously inexperienced (not her fault) and she said she needed to speak to the kitchen manager. She came back out and said that because I had eaten part of the lobster they were going to charge me for it. I coudn't believe it! I asked to speak to him but he wouldn't come out.

The manager swore up and down that they never bleach their seafood, but if it wasn't bleach then the lobster was really bad. I complained - we were spending well over $100 for the meal and even the manager agreed that it smelled bad.

So, then I was told that they would take off the cost of the lobster but I would have to pay for the 2 sides that came with it. Talk about nickel and diming a customer!

They eventually took the whole meal off of the bill but they lost regular customers because we won't go back there again. Terrible customer service. It's too bad because the rest of the food was good and our server was attentive and very nice.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

We visit the Tannersville area often during the summer months due to the close proximity to our campground. One weekend we decided we were bbq'd out and decided to try a local restaurant. We looked for a venue that had some gluten free options for my youngest son and decided to give Smugglers Cove a try. I always noted that the parking lot was close to capacity on the weekends so that is normally a good sign. We were not dissapointed. The salad bar while small was full of fresh choices. I was surprised how tasty their gumbo was. It had a nice kick. My wife enjoyed a steak for her entree and I enjoyed the seafood fra diavlo. The service was very attentive and got our son's meal out very early at our request. I found the total bill to be very reasonable especially considering the quality of the food.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Horrible service. Stopped for lunch. My husband had quiche that tasted like it had been under the heating lamp too long, I had a California wrap which was decent. The kicker was our waitress never returned to the table after serving us. We needed refills of our drinks and had to ask another waiter for our drinks and they came back without ice. When we told the hostess she apologized saying they got busy. When our waitress finally came back to take our plates she never said a word to us.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

My husband and I recently stopped at the Smuggler's Cove for dinner while visiting the area. We were impressed with how fresh the seafood was and that our server was so helpful in making suggestions based on what we told him we like and don't like. I chose the shrimp and scallop kabob and my husband ordered the stuffed flounder. Both were excellent choices- fresh, served plenty hot (I hate it when it is just warm) and a good, but not huge, portion. We indulged with dessert of a very rich chocolate cake which we shared. The only reason I didn't rate it as excellent is that we are seafood lovers and have eaten some of the best fresh catches at coastal towns in the U.S. and abroad and it is hard to match seafood fresh off the fishing boat. If I were rating the restaurant relative to others inland, I'd say it was excellent.