“pricey but good location and nice beds...”

Chateau Resort & Conference Center
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Tannersville
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Stayed at this hotel with my boyfriend for a weekend in July. First the good then the bad..

GOOD
Amazing location very close to Camelback or Camelbeach. 5 minute walk.
Probably the nicest hotel in the area although there is not a lot to choose from
The beds were one of the most comfortable beds I've ever had in a hotel and it had a nice down comforter which is rare to find in hotels.
Very large room
Pool and lake and grounds were all very well landscaped and nice

BAD
Expensive for what it is
the restaurant sucked..food was not good and pricey
Room service somehow skipped past our room the first day (we had the do not disturb sign outside until 9:30) so that was annoying. Called down to the desk later in the day and they took care of it right away
The bathroom was absolutely gross. Motel style, 1 star. Everything else about the room was great. It was a shame the bathroom was so outdated.
As I was packing up our things to leave the room I checked under the bed to see if anything fell under there and I saw an old used condom and wrapper that has obviously been there for days if not weeks and was grossed out.
Obviously housekeeping is not the best in this hotel

If I were to go back to the poconos I would probably stay here again due to the lack of options and the location.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SweetTpie10s
John_W_GM, General Manager at Chateau Resort & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2012

SweetTpie10s-

Thank you for your review and comments. We do appreciate the good and also recognize some of the strengths of this property. Location is chief among them.

As to the food and housekeeping, this is something I personally take very seriously and are making every effort to improve. We have just hired a new executive chef who brings a lot of credentials with him. I have forwarded your comments to him.

We are also putting steps in place to improve the housekeeping. Obviously, your experience is not what we expect of our level of service.

Please do contact me on your next visit, I will personally make certain everything meets your expectations.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

We booked this hotel because it looked impressive on the photos. We should have realised that there was something wrong because it was so cheap. The bottom line is it is awful. The toilet in the first room we were allaocated had not been cleaned, the second room stank of tobacco and we seteld on the third room. The hotel is dismal and has clearly seen better days. The staff are not interested and off-hand. The breakfast was awful as was the service.The only good part is that the location is pretty and the view from our room was wonderful. Otherwise forget it.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Keith L

Keith L-

I am sorry you were disappointed in your stay.

We do take all constructive criticism to heart and will use yours to improve. The service should have been better than you described and honestly has been a source of positive comments rather than negative.

I am sorry that wasn't the case with your stay.

Please do contact me if I can ever be helpful in the future.

Reviewed July 10, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I spent a weekend here for work and luckily we were able to hang out at the hotel almost all day, each day. His company had booked us a room with 2 double beds by accident and the front desk was very nice and upgraded us to a suite for free. It was very sweet! The room was cute and had a fun spiral staircase that led up to the sleeping area. The cleanliness of the room was average. The normal housekeeping chores were done well but the areas that weren't so clean were the bed skirts, large cracks in the sink, discolored walls, etc. (Things that are out of housekeeping's control) The room was pretty outdated (small box TV with rainy picture) but nothing really uncomfortable except for the fact that there was no mini fridge. It's so incredibly helpful to have one and it's been a long time since we've stayed in a hotel that didn't have at least a mini. But overall, the sheets, bed, pillows and towels were comfortable.

I can't say enough good things about the staff. Everyone from the front desk to housekeeping to the restaurant/bar are friendly, funny, helpful and EFFICIENT. They help with anything and do it so pleasantly and quickly. Evelyn is a wonderful bartender. We ended up befriending her and we missed her when we left! We opted for no housekeeping and when we were walking down the hall, one of the house keepers mentioned that she had seen the "Do not disturb" sign and gave us fresh towels so we wouldn't have to worry later on. Very thoughtful!

Pool is fun, spacious and has lots of direct sunlight despite all the trees! The lounge chairs were so incredibly outdated and wobbly but they did the job. The outdoor bar was fun to have! Being able to grab a beer without having to get dressed to go inside is wonderful.

Only things we really felt the absence of was a mini fridge (especially in a suite room, although we were very appreciative to have gotten one!) and breakfast included.

Otherwise, it was a nice stay and we left with a nice tan! The outlets right down the street were an awesome surprise too.

• Stayed: June 2012
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Amorales 1207-

Your review was very thorough and very accurate. Given the great comments about the staff and facilities, I would have thought it would deserve a higher rating, but that's ok.

One of the things we strive for is the comfortable service you describe, especially in unexpected places. A housekeeper noticing and going out of their way to make sure you are comfortable thrills me and I appreciate you pointing it out!

As to the suite, some do have mini fridges. Most do not. They are available to be brought in to any room upon request for a small charge. The TVs are top of the hit list for replacement, although a date certain has not been determined.

Please do say hello on your next visit and give us the opportunity to get those other stars.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

One of the cleanest hotels I've seen. We had an oversized corner room on the first room giving us plenty of space. It rained while we were there so we didn't get the opportunity to visit the outdoor pool but it looked very inviting. The indoor pool was well maintained.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

BKPlus3-

Thank you for the review, the kind words about the cleanliness and the great tip. The corner rooms do have a little more space on both the gardenside and mountainside of the building. I would personally ask for one of these rooms if staying at the resort.

It is too bad you didn't get to enjoy the outdoor pool, the waterfall is fun and this year, it is heated. I even saw people swimming last week in a light drizzle! (of course it was 98 degrees that day!)

Please do say hello on your next trip.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

I stayed one Sunday night here. I got a reservation with the casino package, which I thought was well worth the price with breakfast vouchers and the $15-slot play. I actually got $15 in cash because the hotel didn't have the voucher, and I'm glad I actually spent it at Mt. Airy Casino because I made $150 (instead of pocketing it)! The casino is 10-15 minutes away from the hotel. This place is pretty much in the middle of nowhere, but it's also very accessible, with the Premium Outlet and Tannersville businesses (restaurants, grocery stores, liquor shops, etc) less than 5 minutes away by driving.

If you are there on a not-so-busy day, ask for an upgrade to the balcony view if you don't have that already because when I asked, the front desk person was nice to do that for us free of charge. Needless to say, staff is very very friendly and courteous.

The room was not luxurious or anything but it had pretty much everything you'd need in a hotel. The room and the bathroom were very clean and large enough. The balcony side of the hotel has a beautiful view of the lake and the mountains in the back. The only negative thing about the room was the TV. It was an old one with high-pitched noise coming from it, which was a little annoying, so maybe that could be improved at some point.

I looked around the indoor pool and the fitness center and they seemed nice, though I didn't utilize them (I only went to grab the free-to-use towels). I did use the outdoor pool at night, which was completely empty, so that was a plus.

Overall, Chateau Resort was just what I needed to get away from the city for the day/night and enjoy the area.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

KarenJung-

Thank you for your comments and spot on observations. We like to think that we are secluded enough where you don't hear or see the highway, but close enough to everything so that you have ease of access.

At the base of Camelback Ski Area/ Camelbeach & CBK Adventures, minutes to 80, 380, 33, 611, 78 and The Crossings Premium Outlets, Mount Airy Casino & many retail, activity centers.

To your other point, our tvs are top of the list for improvement and the continued improvement of service and guest experience are key.

Please do say hello on your next stay!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

The rooms normally complete my vacation. Unfortunately, I should have listened to the previous reviews and stayed away. The rooms were very filthy with mold and completely outdated. The rest of the resort and view of the mountains was very pleasant.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

CanuckFour-

Thank you for your comments and your rating. Please contact me so that I can better understand your concerns and make certain they are addressed.

Having said that, we have renewed our training and staffing in the housekeeping area and will address these concerns in all rooms.

Again, I can be reached at 570 629-5900 or GM@ChateauResort.com

Reviewed July 8, 2012

This hotel is located on a really nice piece of property and has quite a nice outdoor grounds. The garden and pool areas are really well maintained. But once you step inside you feel like the place is not being cared for in any way shape or form. I will say a few more nice things before I get into what bothered me about this place. First, the front desk staff was really so super nice and helpful. And second, they have a great collection of board games and a few balls for kids (a nice touch). But that's where the good stuff ends. My review and rating would have been a lot more forgiving if the room had not cost $279 per night, but for that price in the middle of the Poconos I expect something a lot nicer.

Notes to the manager:
1. Managing: Maybe if you spent less time on TripAdvisor promising to fix all the stuff that people are complaining about, and spent more time actually fixing those things you wouldn't have such bad reviews.
2. Training: Your staff needs training. Many of your problems could be solved by spending no capex...just do some training! Your restaurant staff needs training (get a real trainer to come in and show them how to serve). Your housekeeping staff needs procedures and training as well (get them checklists and do random inspections, etc)

Our Notes:
1. Dirty bathroom - hairs in the tub. Yuck.
2. Found an old plate of spaghetti in the fridge in our room...mmmm yummy!
3. Room service came without utensils
4. At breakfast the staff looked at us like we were from another planet when we asked for jelly or jam for our toast...they said that they might have some mint jelly in the back that they use for lamb. Oh and then she brought the nastiest looking tub of butter (which we did not request) to make up for the lack of jam (I guess).
5. My chair for breakfast was covered with candle wax: I pointed it out to the waitress before I sat down and she just made a face like "ewwww yuck" and looked at me for a second before walking away.
6. Duct tape: This was pointed out by other reviewers, but the maintenance team at this hotel have got a serious duct tape mentality. The whole hotel is covered with it. Anytime something breaks I can just picture the maintenance guy reaching for the duct tape.
7. Dirty sheets in pull out couch. The sheets in our pull out couch had already been slept in.
8. Pillow Cases - one of the pillows on our bed had no pillow case.

Check out our pics

We didn't complain about any of these things, because experience tells me that places like this are so poorly managed that you just end up getting some manager telling you how sorry he is for 10 minutes when I have got better things to do.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank corpuskungfu
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

corpuskungfu-

Thank you for your feedback, thoughts about the resort and kind words about the guest service staff.

I would like to point to this accommodating service as a reason why you should have brought your concerns to us. It isn't lip service, it is genuinely meant to provide you with a better stay experience and for us to improve. In any business mistakes will be made, it is my job to help avoid as many as we could and correct them when they do occur. Had we realized you were unhappy, we would have bent over backward to assist you.

The negative things you point out are obviously not they way they should be and should be brought to our attention so they can be solved. Room condition and food service are chief among them.

I don't like to hear what you pointed out, but I will use your comments to improve the staff service in both housekeeping and the restaurant. We do try to improve our service delivery every day, this will be a good exercise for us to go through.

As to the duct tape in the stairwell, I don't love it, it's ugly. But honestly, it is not an area I care to spend a lot of money, it needs to be clean and functional, not beautiful. Rather than spend money there this year, we spent the money allocated there on new pillows, towels, outdoor pool heater and fireplace. The stairwell duct tape will have to wait a little longer as we complete these guest room and public area items.

Finally, personally, I have been doing this type of work for 25 years. During that time, I have found the best information comes from our guests, the people that touch and experience the resort. I have gained the most insight through comments made by our guests. Many of these people that had originally had a concern have become personal friends. In the year I have been at the Chateau, we have made strides and have attempted to inject that TLC you describe into every Team Member every day and are seeing the results.

I would be very interested in hearing any additional feedback and detail you may have about your stay and in making certain you become one of those regular guests I count as friends. Please contact me at GM@ChateauResort.com or 570 629-5900.

John

PS - I really don't spend that much time on TripAdvisor, but it is a good tool for us to use.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tannersville
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#1 of 7 in Mount Pocono
Paradise Stream Resort
Paradise Stream Resort
#2 of 7 in Mount Pocono

Been to Chateau Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!