“It is a shame this place's food is so lousy!”
Review of The Restaurant at the Station - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Restaurant at the Station
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I really want the Train Station to have good food! I REALLY do! Sadly, the management does not seemingly share my wishes. Once again, I went to the Station, and while I had a great time, that was due to the music and the companionship of two of my brothers and my sister-in-law. It was amazing lousy tonight! The first bad omen was when the wait for our food dragged on, and on, and on. It honestly took 90 minutes to receive our food from the time we ordered. The server did a great job of keeping us informed, but sadly, what she was really informing us was that the kitchen staff was totally incompetent. Eventually our food did finally arrive, LONG after my 7 year old nephew had to leave…he might have been going off to college due to the amount of time we had waited! I had ordered only the French Onion Soup as I was not very hungry when I had originally ordered so very long ago! By this time I thought I was hungry enough to eat anything! The “chef”, it actually causes me physical pain to call that individual a chef, but I digress, proved me wrong. He sent out the absolute worst soup I have ever had the displeasure of sampling. There was NO FLAVOR of any type except for a few sad looking, scattered pieces of oregano. I have NO IDEA why French Onion soup even has oregano on it, but OK. At first I thought perhaps my taste buds were not functioning properly, so I had 2 other people sample. They were in complete agreement with me. I am amazed that onion soup had NO onion flavor! Just in case you think I might be overly critical, I mentioned to one of the restaurant employees how completely flavorless this “soup” was. That person remarked, "“Yeah, I'’ve tried it and it is lousy. He cannot make soup.”" WOW! Things are bad when even the staff will not eat their own kitchen’s food! On the plus side the ambiance of being outside with loved ones, listening to a live band in Tamaqua was awesome! The town has come a long way since I left 30 years ago. I would heartily recommend dining at the Station but be certain to eat before you go there. The wine was outstanding, and my screwdrivers were also very good. As with my last visit, I am terribly disappointed in this restaurant’s lackluster, substandard “food”. Time to hire a REAL chef!

There are newer reviews for The Restaurant at the Station

Reviewed August 20, 2012

I have to rate the employees as basically unfriendly. I was going to order a burger, but at one half pound size, I balked. No wonder we are getting so overweight in this country, we need to go back to normal size portions! I found the prices a little high, but the nostalgic atmosphere was definitely worth something. The photographs were interesting and plentiful. It was interesting checking out the former railroad station, definitely the highlight of the visit.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Thursday, my garden club had the misfortune to go to the Restaurant at the Station after visiting Stonehedge Gardens. It seemed like such a nice place for a group of ladies to dine. Was I wrong! It was a complete disaster; there were 13 of us and I had confirmed my reservation the day before, so they had two waitresses serving us. Well, I should say one waitress and a completely...incompetent person. First this psudo waitress took two orders and left the rest to the other waitress who had assumed the other had taken half of the orders. After we had finally placed our orders and finally gotten some of our beverages, we asked for napkins which weren't on the table. The meals took so long to come and they came piecemeal, two here, three there, two here, etc. One lady never got her reuben sandwich. She hadn't had anything to eat and by this time it was 2:00, they finally gave her a salad to have something in her stomach which they didn't charge for...and neither should they have. We were never asked if we wanted a fill up on our beverages until I complained. The psudo waitress was talking under her breath and just nasty and finally disappeared except to bring us our checks. Funny, but I wrote this same review of them on their Facebook page, and when I checked to see if at least they acknowledged the problems, it had been removed. That prompted me to seek other ways to make my disappointment known.

Reviewed February 16, 2012

My wife and I were up in the area, and after spending the day viewing the beautiful fall foliage, decided to stop in here for dinner. The highlight of the dinner was seeing an old steam engine train as it passed the restaurant, just steps from the door. As the name implies, the restaurant is located in the old Tamaqua Train Station, so there is a lot of history here, and many photos, news clippings, and pieces of memorabilia are on display throughout. As for our meals, there really was nothing memorable about them. The only flavor for my chopped sirloin was imparted with a generous amount of ketchup. The french fries were undercooked and limp, and they tasted like it had been a long time since the oil in the fryer was changed.. When we were there, no locals were eating...just tourists. I think that says a lot.

1  Thank Mike H
Reviewed December 13, 2011

I always make it a point to eat at the Station when I am in Tamaqua. It is, without question, the nicest place to eat in the Tamaqua area. The ambience is warm and welcoming, and the staff is the same. Will, the bartender and host the night we visited, is an incredibly gracious host, and a great guy to chat with. I actually found the prices to be a little lower than what I would have anticipated. Our waitress was inexperienced, and working her fourth night as a waitress, and I think will be fine given some time, and a bit more training. There were two areas that could use some attention. The first would be consistency. My sister-in-law's salad arrived and had shredded carrots on it. My brother's salad, and mine, did not. While not a huge point of contention, it should be noted, and is also easily fixed. The second area of concern I had was a bit more important. The scallops I had were not prepared well. The seasonings were tasty, but the scallops were undercooked. My scallops were slightly browned on one side, and not cooked at all on the other. This led to a less than terrific taste, and consistency. One lone scallop was so undercooked as to be inedible, and remained as a lone sentinel on my plate. The pierogie wings with butter and sauteed onions were cooked perfectly, not gummy, and I enjoyed them. I believe they were Mrs T's pierogies. It was a Thursday night, so perhaps the regular chef was not there. Definitely make it a point to taste one of their great Pennsylvania wines!