“Magical and Educational”

USA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Magical and Educational”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

I accidentally ended up at Quiet Valley and it was absolutely amazing - I was truly transported to a different time, and was allowed to enter into my imagination while learning all about what life was like on a farm in the 1800s. The animals were friendly and cute, and I nibbled my way through their gardens. And the real treat - they sent me home with a bag full of rare black walnuts, to husk and cure at my own 21st century apartment, taking a small piece of the magic home with me.

Visited September 2011

New York
“Wonderful step back in time!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2011

We went with a 9 and 7 year old and they loved it. Every part of the location is staffed with people who give a context to all we saw.

Visited August 2011
Gloucester Point, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Entertaining and educational fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2011

Found this while looking at some brochures for things to do in the poconos. We went on a rainy day but still enjoyed ourselves. Each tour was inside one of the buildings, so we didn't get too wet. All performers were entertaining and informative, made it really feel like we were back at the time of the family. All were in character and made us feel welcome, especially the kitty cat Duchess who was extremely friendly. She came over to greet us and even jumped up into my lap for the last part of the tour of the cabin, so be aware of her if she's around. If you don't like cats or are allergic, be aware. For me, that was a special treat. The kitty was very patient with all the visitors. At the barn, we got to jump into a hay pile which was great fun. A little buggy with flies and all, but that is part of being on a farm. We loved listening to all of the stories. The gift shop is small and quaint, and all purchases support the farm. As stated in the other review, a few snacks are available, but visitors may want to pack a picnic lunch. Definitely a nice picture of farm life in the 1800s. The carriage wasn't running due to one of the belgian horses needing a rest because of a hoof injury, but they were able to be seen in the barn. I feel this attraction is worth the trip, especially to teach folks about the history of farming in PA.

1 Thank ggregory42
New York City, New York
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“A Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2011

Found this gem when visiting the East Stroudsburg area with my mom (70 years old). There was an Olde Tyme Music event and tours of the farm areas and houses by docents in character as members of the farm family in the late 1800's. The farm is set in a lovely location. The tours were interesting and educational. There are special events at various times during the year. It is an active farm with vegetables that are harvested for a fall festival and many farm animals, including many young turkeys that are quite friendly. I would recommend this site to families with children or those interested in history of the area or life in the late 1800's. Although there were some snacks for purchase during our visit I would recommend bringing a more substantial picnic lunch.

Visited July 2011