“Is this a joke or ???”

Holiday Inn Express Stroudsburg - Poconos
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Stroudsburg
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Note to all motel/hotel owners and managers: allowing staff to hand around in front of the entry door, barefoot while holding a beer can in one hand, a cigarette in the other is a VERY BAD idea! Somehow, this doesn’t portray an image of a clean, respectable or safe place to stay, even for one night. Yes, I know, it was the day Stroudsburg celebrated St. Patrick’s Day (two weeks late – don’t get that one), but, nonetheless, the look is far from professional. Despite this inauspicious “welcome” I left the car under the portico and started toward the lobby, intending to either check in or cancel my reservation should the unprofessional outdoor image prove a good portend for the motel itself. I need not have bothered, for before I could reach the door, a woman called out “Yeah…you need to check in or something?” It was the same barefoot woman with the beer and cigarette. This was all I needed to see or hear. I got back into my car, left and called the main number to cancel my reservation. Who knows? Perhaps this was an isolated incident in an otherwise well run property, or, perhaps it’s an indicator that management needs to tighten things up a tad.

Room Tip: Beware arriving during town celebrations - the staff just might have done a tad too much celebrating
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Shoya
Holly F, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stroudsburg - Poconos, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2012

I am very sorry that you did not decide to stay at our hotel and for the experience you had. I hope that you would please contact me directly to discuss what happened when you arrived at the hotel. This is obviously not something that we condone here and I would like to investigate this farther. None of my female Guest Service Representatives smoke so I too am trying to decide if this is a joke and will be talking to each and everyone of my employees personally. If you would like to contact me the hotel number directly is 570-872-9040.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Stroudsburg - Poconos

Reviewed March 13, 2012

My wife, 2 year old son and I took a weekend trip to the Poconos 3/8-3/10/2012. We have stayed at other hotels in the area. One was closer to the outlets, one was closer to the race track in June/August and the other is a little farther out. As long as it had an indoor pool we would stay. However now that we have a son who loves to play and be a normal 2 year old we had to get away from the rundown hotels.
I read reviews and saw that the HI Express was fairly new and decided to give it a shot. It might be a little pricier than the other hotels in the area but the price is worth it. I booked a room online with my AAA discount and got a 2 Queen Bed Room. I noted that I prefer a King since my son would sleep with us so he won't fall from the Queen Bed and he won't sleep in a rollaway. When we arrived the girl at the front desk upgraded us to a King Suite. It was on the 4th floor. Very Quiet, Very Nice Room. My son had a little extra room to play and we had a dining table, a pull out sofa and a microwave, fridge and sink. All we needed was a stove and we could live there.
Overall the hotel is very clean and quiet. I have read other reviews and the other guests must have been on lower floors. The pool was warm and the breakfast selections were decent for being free. The only thing the hotel doesn't have is a great view. But that's it.
We definitely found the only place we will stay when visiting the Poconos from now on.

Room Tip: 4th Floor Suites are the way to go.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Holly F, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stroudsburg - Poconos, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2012

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay here with us! We work very hard to deliver excellent Guest experiences and it makes us feel great when we hear you had such a wonderful visit to our hotel. Thank you again, and see you next time!

Reviewed March 9, 2012

Our stay was great . Hotel is very clean and modern. King room was excellent. Love the LG HD flat screen tv! Free WIFI , free breakfast. Can't ask for more!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Mark -
Thank you for the review! Glad you enjoyed your stay, hope you come stay with us again soon!

Reviewed February 26, 2012

We loved this hotel! I was pleasantly surprised as we have never stayed at a Holiday Inn before. I never would have considered it in the past and going forward, each time we will go to the Poconos, we will definitely stay here. The place is brand new. The pool was sufficient and my kids enjoyed swimming in it. Not too large but good enough for them and it was clean! The room was amazing!! We had a double queen bed suite with a sleeper sofa. Very comfortable beds and very comfortable room. The bathroom was very clean and the kitchenette area served its purpose. We usually stay at another hotel in the same vicinity but like I stated earlier, we will definitely begin to stay here in the future. We got a AAA discount and it was worth it. Our only complaint was the free breakfast. That was disappointing. The bagels were previously frozen (you can tell), the mini-muffins were also frozen. My husband took one bite and had to spit it out. They took out cinnamon rolls, which looked absolutely delicious, but looks can be deceiving. They were cold and not even warm. The gentleman who took them out told people to give it time to warm up or you should bring it to your room to use the microwave. Shouldn't they already have been served warm?? But other than the breakfast, the hotel was great. I'm sure they can work on correcting the breakfast part.

1  Thank JoJoHonesty

JoJo -
Thank you for your review! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay but I am very sorry you were disappointed with the breakfast. We appreciate any and all feedback so that we can create a better Guest experience for everyone who visits our hotel. I hope the next time you stay with us you will find the breakfast more satisfactory because we have certainly looked into your suggestions and comments! Hope to see you again soon!!

Reviewed February 26, 2012

We (my wife and I) spent one night going snowtubing at Camelback. We stayed at this hotel for its proximity to Camelback. It is a very new and modern hotel, but looks can be deceiving. The staff was an extreme disappointment. Not professioanl at all, from not having a stocked beverage bar to flat out being lied about the pool being open an extra hour (changed into our bathing suits and were told that we couldn't go in because the pool had "acid" and the hot tub had no hot water). As a "Priority Club" member you are to be given a welcome package (cookies, chips, water), we were not high enough status we were told. I have never been told that. We had a King suite, because it was only $8 more than a regular room. The room was sufficient, however upon review, it had some glaring blemishes. The walls were PAPER THIN, I could hear conversations from next door until well after 2 AM. The walls also had odd looking streaks where paint should be. There was a hole in the wall of the bathroom from the door getting stuck there. Also, the tub was dirty, we were happy we showered before the trip. The room needed an extra curtain on the window because our room looked into a body shop. The breakfast was ample, and it was stocked well.
When we checked out, we told our concerns to the clerk/head of maintainance. They both gave us blank stares and didn't seem to care. There aren't a lot of nice quality hotels in the area, so if you can't find an alternative, settle here. Some attention to minor details would have made all the difference.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the highway.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank jetset1106
IHGCare, Guest Relations IHGCare at Holiday Inn Express Stroudsburg - Poconos, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2012

Dear jetset1106,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay with us. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. I look forwarding to hearing back from you.

Katie J
IHGCare

Reviewed February 24, 2012

I took my two kids, 4 and 6, on a short trip to PA to ski at Camelback and a trip the next day to Scoops Spa at Great Wolf Lodge. Given the cost (and inability to stay one night) at Great Wolf, I decided money would be better spent elsewhere. This hotel was just right for a quick getaway of this type. The hotel desk was very accommodating to switch my reservation type, and they were immediately forthcoming about a problem with the hot tub temperature. The pool was small, but it made no difference to the kids - mine and others, who had a blast swimming around. Although the front desk indicated an issue with the temperature, the water was warm and inviting. The hotel overall was very clean, including the common areas. I was pleasantly surprised by the spaciousness and upscale of the room itself. It boasted a small kitchen area, granite counters and a big screen tv - Wi-Fi was included. The breakfast in the morning was served from 5-9 am. Although we arrived on the late end of breakfast, it was stocked with items such as cereals, fresh pancakes, eggs, sausage and coffee. The gentlemen attending to the area was super helpful, going out of his way to check ingredient labels for me (as my daughter has a peanut allergy). Overall, it was a nice trip for me and my girls.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Gale S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stroudsburg - Poconos, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2012

Kelly thank you for posting a great response about our hotel.We are always here to please our guest and do everything we can to accommodate them in anyway we can..Thank you again

Reviewed February 18, 2012

Stayed in a king suite at the Holiday Inn Express for a quick trip to Camelback. The king suite was perfect for just the two of us, the bed was huge and the room was quite spacious and comfortable. Everything was brand new. The room had the usual amenities, good wireless connection, free HBO, etc. The one issue I had was that the jacuzzi section of the indoor pool was not operating; thus the pool was not heated. There was no explanation posted or estimated time that it would be fixed. All in all, it was a very nice hotel for the price and I would definitely return.

1  Thank MrsPine
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stroudsburg
Hampton Inn & Suites Bartonsville
Budget Inn & Suites
Budget Inn & Suites
#2 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 8 in East Stroudsburg

Been to Holiday Inn Express Stroudsburg - Poconos? Share your experiences!