“Lovely Weekend Stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stroudsburg
Cherry Valley Manor
Ranked #1 of 1 Stroudsburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 14, 2013

My boyfriend surprised me with a weekend at the Cherry Valley Manor for our first anniversary. Since neither of us had been to a bed and breakfast before, we were not sure what to expect. My boyfriend did a lot of research beforehand and the owners were very accomodating to his requests of additional pictures of the rooms and having our room, the Sleeping Beauty Suite, set up to include various things. The owners were also very accomodating to our travel schedule. The owners were both very friendly, making us feel at home. The room was beautiful, the bed was very comfortable, as were the sheets and comforters. The shower was very nice, and the sink was unique and beautiful. The hot tub was so nice after a long day of travel and sight seeing. The room was very private, comfortable, and simply lovely.

Breakfast was delicious! My boyfriend and I loved the cream cheese! The omlet was delicious, as were the eclairs. The set up of the table was elegant and the honeydew was the best I've had in a very long time.

The surroundings were beautiful, the log walk way was unique and lovely, and the house itself was magnificent! My boyfriend and I were both so thankful he made the decision to take me to the Cherry Valley Manor, it was a great experience!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lyndsay W

Reviewed May 8, 2013

( Weekend stay - March 2013 )
We were a little apprehensive from the beginning when we booked the Tiffany suite with the strict cancellation policy and charging the full two-night cost - usually they charge your credit card for one night to hold the reservation not the full amount of your stay.

Strange vibe from the beginning. Upon entering the decadence is exciting. A closer attention to detail has you distracted by the chandeliers and roasting fireplace... Within a modern Victorian decor you find taped pieces of paper signs on doors as signs for the rooms... Tacky. The staff wasn't as warm as implied in some reviews. I've been to other bed and breakfasts where the staff is so delightful they make you feel like family and you hang on for that additional moment to have a charming conversation. That was not the case here; it was cold and uninviting, almost as if we were bothersome to them. The room was clean, attention to the decadence is apparent but that doesn't necessarily mean that it has charm, as it does not.

I was not pleased at all with the breakfast. Compared to other places I've been this place is the worst. We started off with a single bagel, soft and warm. Since we were only served one bagel, we were forced to split it. This gave my wife and I the impression that they were either cheap, or forgot to order enough for everybody. The main breakfast dish was this hideous flat scrambled egg with bits of meat in it smothered in cheddar cheese and smothered with black pepper flakes. Isn't it customary for the one dining to serve themselves pepper? With a shaker perhaps? It looked almost as bad as it tasted. The fact that it underachieved my feeble cooking skills was points off. I think if they had given me some cartoon cereal and milk with coffee I would have been happier. I was really looking for the 'wow factor' I've received from other b&bs... And this fell quite short of that. When the owner saw that we didn't eat most of the egg dish, he interrogated us about it twice... then he called to his wife, "I don't think they like your dish." His wife said, "Not possible." Can someone say denial? It reminds us of Kitchen Nightmares when the owners tell Ramsey their food is 10 out of 10 and it is a 2 at best. We booked for two nights and decided to go somewhere else to PAY for breakfast the 2nd morning!

Oh, and no bottles of water or snacks are served to make the trip away a little more homey. If you are thirsty there are glasses for drinking but they are in your bathroom. Right above the toilet, charming (NOT). The owners can respond with a reason why they feel they should need to do such a thing but I'll say my peace by saying every other bed and breakfast I've had the pleasure of staying at has offered this. It's not a lot to do but it does show your guest a little more care.

They don't ask how you're stay is going or if you need any help getting to any places of interest. This place has a lot of look but missing the heart that I almost immediately detected soon after entering the door.

Not worth the $280 per night price. The Tiffany room will have you in awe momentarily but there will be something nagging at you saying. "There's just something off here." Get in the jacuzzi ASAP... It's the only good thing about this place besides the decor.

We found it to be difficult to enjoy our stay when we were appalled by the way we were treated. For $280 a night we would at least expect free bottles of water, perhaps some tea, snacks, etc. like other b&b's that we've been to. Don't expect to have access to a microwave or refrigerator either... Those are in their kitchen and they keep that door closed. Not to mention, after we arrived we asked if how we were parked was okay the owner's wife said we were fine. The next day when we were on our way out, the owner berated us for parking in the driveway like every other guest. If they were that serious about the horrible parking situation, they should built a proper parking lot. The way this driveway is, it causes your car to be stuck when someone parks behind you. Needless to say we left unsatisfied and disappointed. Nobody was readily available for any accommodations. My wife and I are still pretty upset for being accosted for the parking situation!

After spending some time here, we looked up the other people's negative reviews of this place and realized that it was not just us feeling this way. Just about everything we read with those negative reviews were VERY accurate and relatable. I look forward to Cherry Valley Manor's rebuttal, as they normally twist the reviewer's words instead of taking constructive criticism to heart to improve the place.

Room Tip: Don't go.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank JustinT709
CherryValleyManor, Owner at Cherry Valley Manor, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

We appreciate the guest's thoughts and we would like to clarify the circumstances that led to the mixed feelings about the stay.

Our house was initially built by us as a private residence. When we decided to turn it into a bed and breakfast 6 years ago, we started with two rooms. Over the last few years we hosted many happy customers and developed a steady flow of returning guests, achieving a very flattering 5-star rating on Trip Advisor. Little by little we were converting more rooms into guest suites. The last two were added in the recent months and our kitchen has moved to another floor.

This spring we found ourselves overwhelmed by the demand and by the amount of care that the now 6-room inn required. It was as if we started from scratch again. To our surprise all rooms where getting booked at the same time, our parking space suddenly became overcrowded and our heads were spinning with concern.

This short adjustment period was the "growing pains" and we are happy to say it is over. We have rearranged our parking area to provide clear spots for every car. When our previously open kitchen got a door to keep smells and sounds away from the common areas, the refrigerator with a guests' shelf appeared to be less accessible. Having learned about that we bought a guest refrigerator which is now located in the common areas and can be used to obtain drinks or to store food.

With these things in place, we feel much more prepared to continue providing the outstanding service that has been praised in the majority of reviews here.

Our breakfasts remain the same fresh, homemade, overfilling feasts that we have been getting rave reviews for. Our dishes gradually became the signature ones as a result of consistent praise from our customers and have been served literally thousands of times by now. We do listen to our guests and we do take feedback seriously and the dishes we serve are the absolute winners by an overwhelming vote. Besides the freshly prepared hot entrees and pastries, we always offer the standard continental choices: cereals, yogurts, bagels, fruit, etc.

We care about the guest's time at our inn above all and we thoroughly consider constructive feedback. We strive to be invisible, yet always accessible. Whether we are tending to the garden or refreshing the rooms, we are always only a phone-call away. All our rooms are built with privacy and seclusion in mind, with luxurious amenities and high-end furnishings. It remains our mission to cater to our guest's comfort, rest and enjoyment. We have earned a reputation and we continue to stand for it.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I will preface this review with an disclaimer absolving my girlfriend who preferred I not write this review!

I should have known right off when we could not find this place on GPS and when we called for directions one of the instructions was to ignore the "Road Closed" on the street that would allow you to get to the residence.

The house is beautiful and once they complete all of the extensive landscaping it will be even more picturesque.

Our visit began with as others have mentioned a "chastising" as there is a parking area that is barely big enough for one car, but as we were so abruptly chided "that space is for two cars please move your car over"! The bushes are overgrown in the area and not to have my lovely girlfriend get out in the bushes I let her out so that I could literally park the car halfway in the bushes. Great start..Not!

I wasn't properly introduced to either of the hosts so I don't know their names?
We arrived at exactly 3PM with another couple that was so turned around that the host had to go get them. The host showed us to our room "the Rainbow" and it was very nice. He told us where we could put our bags and asked us what time we wanted breakfast? I responded 9:00 and he said someone had that time so we asked what times are available and we settled on 9:30...that was the last time we saw him until 9:30am the next day!!!

In the room there was a pitcher of water, but it didn't look like something I should be drinking from and there were glasses in the bathroom and bottled water downstairs. I guess they hadn't vacuumed because there were two very large dead ants to the right of the bed and dead spiders in the curtains. Not good...the bathroom was very nice, but again dead stink bugs and wasp/hornets around the tub. I was determined to take a bath so I rinsed them down the drain and took my bath...very nice tub! We rented movies to watch, but the DVD player didn't work and well its a waste to have HD TV's with no HD feed!!

We would have liked to ask our hosts for some dinner options, but they were nowhere to be found and we walked all around the common areas and outside looking.

I had no problem with the bed or the linen..so we slept ok. I didn't really hear or see any of the other guests as no one took advantage of the common areas and while it was a beautiful day there were just too many pests around the property to just be outdoors.

The BREAKFAST!!
OMG... Coffee/Juice a fruit cup and yogurt... we shared a bagel and the main entree...an open faced omelet with chopped turkey breast with cheese and drowned in ground pepper!! WTH?? Come on...oh and a croissant?? needless to say we went to cracker barrel! I am not sure what I was expecting, but Iit was surely more than that. When we packed up to go home...we again had to try and find them just to say by and to take care of any administrative issues.

A 3 is generous....I see a lot of 5 star ratings and how the food was delicious. I didn't get the warm and fuzzy hosts or great cooking.

Maybe they were having a bad weekend?
DM

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank DeLano M

Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

Breakfast great. Great tubby. Very very clean. Great location surrounded by woods. Must be wonderful in the winter with the snew etc. hosts very friendly and accommodating for all of your requests. Had the Tiffany suite.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank DiggerDan14
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We just spend a wonderful romantic weekend at the Cherry Valley Manor. I didn't expect to find such a luxurious gem in the rural Pennsylvania. The Manor is very cozy, decorated with great care and attention to detail; breakfast is delicious and the presentation is beautiful. The Jacuzzi is simply fantastic. The owners are very thoughtful and accomodating; and the overall experience is just what a romantic weekend should be.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Aleksandra L
Reviewed April 1, 2013

My boyfriend and I just spent a VERY relaxing and accommodating Easter weekend at Cherry Valley Manor. The owners were amazingly sweet and accommodating and the breakfast was delicious!!! Our room was quaint and quiet (The Romantic Occassion) with a fabulous jacuzzi tub. We will definitely be back.

Thank!!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LaureninAstoria
Reviewed March 24, 2013

My husband and I were looking for a relaxing weekend getaway from the hustle and bustle of NYC. When we came across Cherry Valley Manor, we were swayed by the all the positive reviews, despite the somewhat high nightly rate. I've stayed in several B&Bs, all in the sub-$200 range, that were perfectly comfortable and met all the expectations we have of a B&B...friendly inn-keepers, a clean room, quiet and relaxation, privacy, a good hearty breakfast and access to basic sundries/snacks/drinks. I would say maybe 2 of the 6 basic expectations were met…a clean room and a hearty breakfast...and even that was only one of the mornings.

The Inn-Keepers
Upon arrival, we were met by Julia who was perfectly friendly and welcoming, for the 2 minutes we spent with her. She showed us our room and told us that breakfast is served downstairs. That was it. She didn't make small talk (totally fine) but she also didn't show us around. She didn't even tell us what where to get a glass of water. That was it. She then asked when we would like to have breakfast. Sort of an off question I thought. Typically breakfast is offered during a time range, but I suppose we could compromise. We said 9. She replied with, "how about 8"? 8 oclock on a Saturday morning after working all week in the city? No thank you!! She then said something that sounded like a cross between 9:10 and 9:30. She has a thick accent that was difficult to understand. We shrugged ok and figured we'd play breakfast by ear when we wake up. This is a vacation after all. The last thing I want is a schedule to anxiously stick to. The next morning we wake up around 9 and roll downstairs for breakfast at what apparently is 9:20. We are "greeted" by an older gentleman who does not say "good morning" but says, "you are late." Again he has a very thick accent so I thought maybe I misheard and gave a confused looked. He replied with, "it's 9:20." Are you freaking kidding me? I thought the "breakfast schedule" was suggested. I didn't realize I was signing up for an actual time slot? Luckily, the breakfast made up for the poor hospitality so we let this rude gesture go (for the time being). We ran into Stan several other times throughout the weekend and always felt like we were annoying him or intruding in his space. He was not friendly and when ever we saw him and smiled warmly, we did not get very much in return. In fact, the parking situation is somewhat confusing as they have a semi circle driveway which whoever was unlucky enough to arrive there second would get blocked in. Because we were in and out of the house during the day, we decided to park on the street to avoid blocking anyone in/getting blocked in. As we were coming in the door, Stan reprimanded us for parking in the street and said we would get a ticket. This is a deadend street mind you. In fact there is a "detour" sign as you approach cherry valley rd (for what reason, I'm not sure) but I never once saw another car. I think he just didn't like how it looked to have a car parked on the street in front of his property. When I asked if we should move the car he mumbled something under his breath, shrugged, and literally walked away from me mid-conversation. The man is seriously rude.

The Food:
Julia is an excellent cook. The breakfast the first morning consisted of coffee and juice, yogurt and fruit, a warm bagel, a turkey omelet, and a banana muffin to finish. It was actually quite delicious and filling. I did not enjoy Sunday's breakfast as much, but that was personal preference. We had coffee and fruit again (no yogurt), some weird shrimp and cracker "appetizer", potato pancakes with deli meat as the main course, and a chocolate eclair for dessert. The potato pancakes seemed legit, but I was sort of put off by the whole meal...a strange thing to serve for breakfast if you ask me.

The room:
The house itself is undeniably beautiful and ornate. The owners are clearly detailed oriented and it shows. The decor and walls were truly artistic. The space was very clean. We stayed in the Royal Treatment Suite, which I did think was very nice. It's a huge room, king size bead, giant bathroom with a great big jet tub, an electric fire place and a tv. The TV had HD capabilities but we only had access to standard definition (come on...get with the 21st century...or don't offer an HD TV). The king bed was comfortable, but the sheets were not. They most likely WERE comfortable, but when you wash something so many times they become scratchy. The same went for the towels (ever hear of fabric softener?) Two robes were offered and I will say they were quite comfortable.

Privacy/Relaxation
I would hardly say we felt relaxed during out stay after the run in with Stan which left us feeling like we needed to walk on egg shells or we might get reprimanded again, but on top of that, when you walk into the house, you are immediately in the "common area" aka their living room where there is music playing basically 24/7. Now I understand this is probably to help take some of the edge off and make you feel more comfortable (as you are staying in a strangers home) but the Royal Treatment room is directly next to the living room with the music and the foyer/front door with people coming and going. We could hear everything going on outside of our room so we assumed the same could be said for people hearing us. We basically whispered the whole time and kept the TV at a barely audible level. This was frustrating. I felt like I was in high school again staying up past my bed time sneaking around.

Other amenities:
There are none. Most B&Bs will offer an afternoon snack, or at least a bottle of water!! I had to resort to drinking water from a bathroom sink for fear of dying of thirst! I didn't feel comfortable enough to venture down to the kitchen passed breakfast hours because #1 - I wasn't told that I could and #2 - during breakfast Stan made sure the kitchen door was closed firmly behind him as he walked in and out. Additionally there were no movies, no books, and barely any games. I think there was an airline deck of cards. Luckily the room was wifi enabled.

Overall, if this place were $130 a night instead of $230 I would not be writing this review. For $230 a night IN STROUDSBURG, my husband and I were truly expecting royal treatment, or at least the basic standards of a nice bed and breakfast. I honestly question whether this place is legitimate. Be warned, come with your own food and water, something to entertain yourself, and a thick skin!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank LDV2010
CherryValleyManor, Owner at Cherry Valley Manor, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

We regret that our guest was disappointed with her experience at the Cherry Valley Manor.
We appreciate the feedback and would like to address some of the issues raised.

1. Legitimacy of the establishment. In accordance with the law, our license is displayed in the entryway.

2. Drinking water. Our house is equipped with a sophisticated water filtration system, which makes tap water perfectly potable. There is a pitcher as well as water and wine glasses in every room.

3. Access to games. Our living room/common area provides a board game kit that includes backgammon, chess, checkers, dominos and playing cards.

4. The kitchen door is closed tightly as it is our work area. In order to keep the breakfast room quiet and comfortable, the kitchen is an isolated area just the way it is in any restaurant. We do not microwave or reheat anything, but rather cook every single breakfast. This makes our kitchen a busy place.

5. Breakfast time. Whether the guest is an early riser or would like to
to offer them a choice of when to wake up. This is why we offer individual slots for breakfast. We then prepare a hot meal exactly by the chosen time.

6. Room privacy. The Royal Treatment Suite does not share any walls with any other guest room - its privacy is second only to a cabin. The ambiance music in the living room plays very softly and only during the day.

7. Value. The spacious, tastefully decorated, impeccably clean suite is equipped with a king-size bed with a new mattress and luxury linens, TV, DVD, WiFi, a fireplace, a walk-in closet, a siting/reading area and a private deck. The oversized bathroom features a jacuzzi, a shower, two large sinks, luxury bath robes and towel warmers. All of this is situated in an elegant, uniquely decorated house, within minutes from countless attractions. Most B&Bs offer breakfast from 9 to 10 to everyone and one has to get up in order not to miss it. We serve one couple at a time from 8 to 11 at the hour that each of them requests. We offer our guests the best possible rate for a package this personal and luxurious.

We hope this clarifies any possible misunderstandings.

The Management

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stroudsburg
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
The French Manor Inn and Spa
The French Manor Inn and Spa
#1 of 2 in South Sterling
Crescent Lodge & Country Inn

Been to Cherry Valley Manor? Share your experiences!