“Not Quite the Hospitable Experience I was Looking for”

Hampton Inn Stroudsburg / Poconos
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Stroudsburg
Mechanicsburg, PA
“Not Quite the Hospitable Experience I was Looking for”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I stayed at the Hampton Inn Stroudsburg a few weeks ago while attending a meeting in the local area. Prior to arrival, I was pleased with the hotel because they were able to provide me with my organization's special rate and were able to extend my stay an extra day. Upon arrival, I worried a bit because I thought the property looked a bit run down from the outside. I parked my car in one of the plentiful parking spaces and went inside to check in. The front desk agent came out from the back room and looked less than thrilled to be there. I will not mention any names to save face, but I do not believe that she provided me with quality customer service. I loved the inside of the lobby, though. It seemed to be updated with spunky furniture and had an upbeat vibe.

My room was on the first floor and convenient to get to. When I walked in, the room was so musty that I thought I was at a Jersey Shore motel (if any of you know what I mean by that). The room smelled and it was so damp. Everything looked clean, except for a random hair or two in the bathroom and a small dead ant on the bed. The room had two double beds, decent sized bathroom, and a mini fridge, which was very nice to have. The air conditioner also seemed to have trouble working, only making the room more musty and less bearable to stay in. By night time, everything in the room was beyond damp. The carpet was wet and disgusting to walk on. Therefore, I never took my shoes off. The air was thick and smelly. In addition, all of my clothes, papers, and belongings had become damp, too. I was disgusted by the way my clothes felt.

That night I did not sleep well. The room's temperature and mustiness made it hard to sleep. Also, I began to feel creeped out, thinking that the bed or the linens may not be clean to my liking. Because of the room's mustiness, my already-bad allergies acted up even more the next morning.

That morning I utilized the hotel's free hot breakfast. The breakfast was probably the best part of the hotel. There was wide variety of food to choose from (fruits, oatmeal, eggs, potatoes, cereal, toast, etc.) The breakfast area was not busy and it was kept clean.

Besides musty guestrooms and a good free breakfast, the hotel also offers an indoor pool, a laundry room, and fitness room. I did not use any of these extra amenities. But, I forgot to mention the free Wifi. I was delighted to find free Wifi, as most of the Hilton properties I have stayed at recently do not offer this service. The Internet was very slow, but that was better than having to pay for access.

The hotel has a decent location. It is fairly easy to access from the highway and is just a short walk from Main St. Stroudsburg which has some shops and a few little restaurants, and even a small theatre. The walk is only a couple of blocks, but the path seemed like it might not be one you'd want to walk alone on at night. I did not visit any Pocono attractions, but the hotel seems to be pretty centrally located to them.

The lousy service at check-in and the musty room make me not want to return to the hotel. The front desk agent could have at least put on a smile and, for the sake of others, I really hope that maintenance takes a look at the air conditioning/hotel ventilation, as I noticed that several other reviews mentioned the musty rooms. I was not satisfied with my stay, and when I return to the Poconos soon for another event, I would like to try a resort instead, if I have the funds. I also suggest that you do the same.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Michelle D, General Manager at Hampton Inn Stroudsburg / Poconos, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
I apologize for the experience you had during your recent stay at our Hampton. I want to assure you our maintenance staff has addressed the issues you reported. I am terribly sorry for the lack of customer service you received at check in. I would greatly appreciate if you would contact me personally to discuss this further as this employee's behavior is completely unacceptable and rather out of character for our front desk employees as you can see by the other reviews of our staff. Our goal is to provide our guests with the best experience possible, and I thank you for bringing this matter to my attention so we can improve our service in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Newark, United States
Reviewed July 24, 2013

This hotel could use some updates and extra help, but the staff was very friendly. The location was 2 blocks from Main Street so we could walk to restaurants, and the air conditioning cooled the room very quickly which was necessary since we stayed during a heat wave. The pool was nice and clean, and the staff was friendly, but again, they need more help at the front desk. Only one person worked per day/night at the front desk while there were 3 wedding parties and their guests at the hotel during the weekend we stayed.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you for your kind words about our staff. I'm so glad you were pleased with the service they provided. Please be assured we are in the process of making updates to the property, and we hope you come back to visit us in the future to check out our new look!
pittsburgh, United States
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Noone ever at front desk for service--I mean ever. We stood there for some time and no one came out of the back room--I don't know where they were. Also when we arrived there was one person at the front desk just giving directions to someone and this person did not acknowledge us. Inadequate seating at breakfast.I really feel the hotel was not responsive to the fact that it is the middle of the tourist season in the poconos.

1 Thank Helen S
I apologize for the issues you had during your stay, Our goal is to provide excellent customer service, and I regret that we fell short of your expectations. I would greatly appreciate if you would contact me personally to provide me with more information about your experience.
East Brunswick, New Jersey
Reviewed July 22, 2013

The family stayed this past weekend for a soccer tournament in the area. The staff at check in was fantastic as were the staff during the free breakfast. My daughter has a fatal peanut allergy and the staff was great in showing me all ingredients on what was being served. The first room we stayed in had a musty smell and lacked a fridge, which I thought was standard in the room. After the first night my wife, my daughter and me all woke up with what looked like mosquitoe bites on various parts of our body. We were all kind of "freaked" and went to the front desk. The front desk help was very courteous and changed our room without hesitation. She also credited us the price of the first nights stay. The second room seemed cleaner and had a fridge as well. The indoor pool is small but adequate for what we needed as we were not at the hotel that much. Not sure if I would stay here again unless no other hotels were available next year for the soccer tournament.

1 Thank Steven B
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. I apologize for the issues you had with the mosquitos. We stand by our 100% satisfaction guarantee, and I am pleased the staff handled your situation appropriately.
PHL
Reviewed July 20, 2013

This Hampton Inn is well maintained and has very customer freindly staff. Its a nice place to stay with children. They offer a free breakfast, pool, fitness room and laundry facilities. I would return to this Hampton Inn in the future and highly recommend it to others.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

The staff and I would like to thank you for recommending our Hampton, and we look forward to serving you again in the future:)
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We were up here for the night and we had a great stay! Management was attentive and extremely helpful looking up places to map from the hotel. Very clean rooms, complimentary coffee and breakfast, we would definitely stay here again. Highly recommend it!

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for recommending our Hampton. The staff and I greatly appreciate your compliments, and we hope you come back to visit us the next time you are in the area.
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We booked a night here because it was close to a wedding we attended. Aside from a short wait for the front desk person to respond, our stay was excellent. Room was large and very clean. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you posting your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and we look forward to serving you the next time you vist the Poconos!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stroudsburg
Hampton Inn & Suites Bartonsville
Holiday Inn Express Stroudsburg - Poconos
Budget Inn & Suites
Budget Inn & Suites
#1 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Fairfield Inn & Suites Stroudsburg Bartonsville/Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Stroudsmoor Country Inn
Stroudsmoor Country Inn
#5 of 8 in Stroudsburg

Been to Hampton Inn Stroudsburg / Poconos? Share your experiences!