“Not completely terrible” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Stroudsburg
Poughkeepsie, New York
“Not completely terrible”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2007

The room was large and fairly clean. My allergies were really offended by the room, which tells me there must have been mold in the room. The shower was nice. DO NOT enter the restaurant under any circumstance. We were given a two page "menu" typed out and stapled together. Of the 10 or so choices (most of which were fried foods... think county fair) they managed to spell "Clam" wrong. There was only one waitress. We made the mistake of eating breakfast there before we left. Granted there were 20 people in our party. That same waitress was there. At one point some of the members of our party left to check out of the hotel while we waited for our coffee (a this point we'd been sitting for almost an hour). They came back and told us that the waitress was helping out at the front desk... the food was fine once you got it. We were there from 6:30 until 10 trying to eat a meal.
My advice... try somewhere else. I hear the Hampton has free continental breakfast daily...

• Liked — Pool
  • Disliked — Restaurant
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2007

For a price, this hotel is a terrible value. The beds were uncomfortable and the sheets were paper thin. Generally speaking the room was old and in disrepair. The AC fan was loud and would have kept us awake all night, except that other things were keeping us awake.

The hotel has an indoor pool atrium, with guest rooms surrounding the pool. Every sound is amplified by this. You will not sleep if you stay here. People from the bar come outside to sit and smoke and drink ...you can hear every word spoken. Additionally, the hotel has no control over guests entering the pool; people were swimming at 3:00 AM. The front desk responded by saying "we try to keep them out". My family and I had our weekend ruined by staying here.

Word of advice for traveling to the Poconos: Book early and stay anywhere else.

Stayed May 2007

Travelers are raving about these Stroudsburg hotels

Suburban Phila.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2007

I stayed at the Quality Inn Stroudsburg in early May. I read the reviews but stayed there anyhow mainly because the location was very convenient to where I had to be. While my stay was not totally unbearable I wish I had heeded the reviews and stayed elsewhere. I had no major complaints but the entire hotel just seemed a little worn. The bar was being refurbished during my visit so it was closed. Perhaps kept the hotel more quiet but it would have been nice to have a drink at the hotel restaurant! It may be worth following up to see if there are refurbishments beyond just the bar since the location is convenient and hotel options in Stroudsburg are limited.

• Liked — location was convenient to where I had to be
  • Disliked — kind of worn
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank 18Stars
Western Mass.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2007

Cannot tell you loudly enough -
DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!

I am a member of this hotel chain and booked my room on points - 2 Queen, non smoking room. We arrived and received our SMOKING room right next to the night club where a live band was playing!!!
My daughter has asthma, so I went to the front desk and told them about the smoking room. They told me that that room was the only room left at the hotel. Since it was 11 p.m. we decided to make a go of it. I sprayed with the Lysol I had with me. Then the band played LOUDLY until the wee hours of the morning. Now I like music, but when my 11 year old and I are playing name that tune at 1 a.m. in our beds, that's loud!

All that aside, the room was BAD! Frayed carpet, dingy linens and walls, holes in the bathroom walls, grime in the tub, just off the top of my head. The pool wasn't much better, somewhat clean water, but broken glass on pool deck. The food wasn't much better either, dried up breakfast and bad coffee.

The only good thing I'll say is that I did (after 4 months of bugging them) receive my points back.

There are many other hotels around, DON'T stay at this one!!!!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — EVERYTHING ELSE
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank patsfan1
Charleston, South Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2007

the rooms where old fashion this hotel is very noisey all day long people playing music kids running up and down the hallway and then at night it has a club so if your on the first and second floor thats all you here to the club close i promise i wil never go back if you plan on staying here please think again.....

• Liked — none
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank sexylips07
baltimore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2007

My wife and I, from Pikesville, Md, stayed here exactly 4 years ago and found the overall appearance and front desk customer service a lot better in 2002, than 12/29-thru 1/1/07 this time. The best part of the stay was the great location. Not much good after that for 3 nites total of $ 341.25. We had just finished driving from Baltimore and were told about 20 minutes before check-in that the rooms were not ready along with many others siting around and waiting in line. The comments by one lady at the front desk were very unsettling and unfriendly at the time of the first check-in try.

There was construction going on in the lounge to get it ready for New Years and with a dumpster outside and building material trash all around the dumpster, we had to see it every time driving to our room, looked very trashy outside.

Breakfast was served luke-warm to cold by the one server in the entire breakfast room. Thank goodness. there was a Perkins across the street serving at this point seemed like excellent hot food compared to the Quality (Ha,Ha) Inn. I was even told by the manager that the food at the Quality was not as good as it was and had heard these complaints before.

As for the room, it smelled moldy and one could see at the ceiling near the window a large mold stain and cracks. The cable TV was replaced with satalite tv and there was constant interuption of TV service which the front desk knew about but seemed unable to properly fix in the past.

Let me explain New Years 12/31. We had to call the front desk to complain about kids running in the room directly above us which sounded like a bowling alley over our heads. There was loud noise comming from a room a few doors down the hall and unknown to us, one of our neigbors called to complain about a couple arguing for 2 hours next to the caller's room and our room.
Quite an experience indeed.

I do want to thank one of the housekeepers that was extra nice to my wife and I and was tipped accordingly.

It just wasn't a few things, that made our stay bad, we are very flexible and understanding people who travel a lot, but there were just so many problems this time that cause me to write this review. The next time up here, I will try to look into another hotel

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — room,front desk
  • Tips/Secrets — Read trip advisor for other hotels, I was recommended the Hampton Inn
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank aspen1
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2006

We stayed for one night - Thursday, December 28th. Room 215.

THE GOOD:

Great indoor pool for kids. Ours had a ball for 4 hours straight. Clean and very, very kid-friendly.

Clean room and bathroom.

Lobby area tastefully decorated for the holidays with a large stone fireplace and a fire roaring - very nice.

Convenient location for the Poconos - although as a FYI, it is right off 80 and not in the center of Stroudsburg - maybe a mile away.

THE BAD:

When we pulled up to the hotel, the first thing we saw was a trash can overflowing with trash - it was spilling out everywhere - bad first impresssion.

While waiting in line to check-in (at 2:50 pm) - check in time was "officially" at 3 pm - the clerk yelled out to the line of people waiting, "Um, youse guys can all go somewhere else for now, check-in is NOT until 3 pm and your rooms aren't ready." I'd love to know which hospitality school she attended. We went into town and came back at 5 and checked in w/o issue, FYI.

The complimentary continental breakfast is a joke and a mess. Maybe run in for a cup of coffee if you so need the caffeine that you can't wait, but it looked like bears had torn the place apart when we got there. Go to Perkins across the street - 1000 times better and worth the extra $$$.

There was NO place in the hotel to purchase an adult beverage of any form. They are apparently working on a bar/nightclub, but it wasn't up and running for us. It would have been nice to have a beer or a glass of wine and relax - I guess we were expecting to do that, because it was listed as an amentity on their hotel website.

The rooms, while clean, are completely outdated with a mid-80's decor (think chintz floral bedspreads and wallpaper border.) Also the sheets, again, while clean, are scratchy and cheap-feeling.

THE BOTTOM LINE:

Would I stay there again? Quite possibly...but only because the Poconos area in general is lacking in quality hotels. The kids loved the indoor tropical pool and it was clean. And, for $70/night, I wasn't expecting the Ritz Carlton. But the front desk clerk needed some serious training, which is definitely something they need to work on for future visits. And, apparently, there will be a bar/club in the very near future, which will be a nice feature for the hotel.

• Liked — Great indoor pool for kids
  • Disliked — Rude front desk clerk and trash at the front door
  • Tips/Secrets — Do not get a room by the pool - very noisy
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank mccarthys5
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stroudsburg
Hampton Inn & Suites Bartonsville
Baymont Inn & Suites Bartonsville Poconos
Stroudsmoor Country Inn
Stroudsmoor Country Inn
#5 of 8 in Stroudsburg

Been to Quality Inn Stroudsburg? Share your experiences!