“Wasn't the cleanest...”
Review of Pocono Plaza Inn

Pocono Plaza Inn
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Stroudsburg
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stayed here after a long day of driving. We had a coupon so the rate was low. Overall this hotel has the potential to be a nice hotel, but just wasn't quite there. The lobby was nice and the room looked like some parts had been updated. However the bathroom was not appropriately cleaned. There was still hair in the shower and sink, and the toilet was not cleaned. Fortunately we had brought some disinfecting wipes with us and decided not to use the shower. The sheets seemed like they were fresh at least. The hallway seemed really musty but the room itself was ok. You get what you pay for, but I would likely not stay here again.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms on the first floor have an external entrance. Request a room on the second floor...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Joanne T, Guest Relations Manager at Pocono Plaza Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

I am sorry you had some problems with your stay. I want to let you know that this is not the norm for our hotel as we strive to give our guests the best and that your comments will be addressed immediately.

I have discussed these comments with the owner and the appropriate department managers to insure that these issues do not happen again.

Again I apologize and hope that you will give us another try in the future.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Stayed here for one night and don't believe I will be coming back to this location. The first impression was not a good one;the sign by the road has letters falling off, there was trash right by the entrance, and the front doors were not automatic and were in poor condition. The luggage cart was there but broken and it smelled like old food as soon as you walked in the front door. There is no elevator, (which I knew) but was still an inconvenience. You can't take the luggage cart past the pool entrance because it is a sunken pool area with steps down into it. Besides the lobby, the common areas of the hotel were not clean. We finally got to the room and opened the door and couldn't find a light switch, very annoying. The carpet was clean in the middle but around the edges was dusty. The phone was dirty. The rooms are extremely dated. The comforter on one of the beds needed to be replaced due to a stain on it. We tried to make a bag of popcorn and it kept tripping the power strip it was plugged into. I have to say the beds were comfortable and the shower was great. The next morning I tried to grab a coffee from the lobby for my wife and I and they ran out after one cup. Needless to say, the hotel ownership has some work to do to make it a nicer place for people to stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Frank L
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Rolling in to the Quality Inn last week during a thunderstorm, I was so glad they had a covered doorway. The lobby is quite nice, desk staff were very helpfull,and we were glad to have a ppace to stay.The room was spacious and clean and the pool and restaurant quite nice. The burgers were fantastic. My wife did notice the old smoke smell from the smoking days in the carpet in the halls, but the ac in the room kept the smell to a minimum.It was a good place value wise, I'm sure the kids would have enjoyed the pool. With some new paint and carpet in the halls, you have a pretty good hotel!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I stayed one night with my 5 yeard old kids.
First floor rooms have 2 doors one opens to corridor and other one to pool area.
It has perfect pool and restaurant area.
Room was clean and comfortable.it had microwave and fridge.
Bathroom was clean and had air dryer.
Breakfast at restaurant was very nice.
It is under new management and it needs some TLC such as carpets, A/C heating system, etc. but overall we like the hotel and will come back again.

• Stayed: August 2013
Joanne T, Guest Relations Manager at Pocono Plaza Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

It is nice to see that our guests enjoyed themselves while they stayed with us are want to share that with other possible guests. We strive to ensure that all of our guests have an enjoyable stay with us.

As you stated in your review there are areas of the hotel that need a little TLC and we are working on that. As a matter of fact, we are in the process of getting new carpeting for all of the rooms and common areas of the hotel and hoped to have them installed within the next few weeks. We are under new ownership and all of the renovations are taking time to complete.
We hope that you will come back and see us again in a few months when all of our renovations are complete.

Again thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

We spent one night at this hotel because we arrived too late to find a proper campsite. We did have one of those coupons so our stay was not that expensive. While we were not expecting a 5-star hotel, we still expected a minimum in terms of cleanliness. When we walked in there was an odd smell, like the old carpeting had absorbed years worth of odours. The room was just as bad. The bathroom had been cleaned, well... sort of, in a hurry and we could see lots of dirt. I personally thought it smelled of something like cat litter. Eek! The place was really run down and the staff was not particularly friendly or helpful. Breakfast was not included, which is not a proble, but it was equally as bad. Avoid at all costs. I am certain there are better options.

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs. Very dirty.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MTLcyclebuff
Joanne T, Guest Relations Manager at Pocono Plaza Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay with us. I have addressed your issues with the owner and the appropriate department managers so that we can handle the problems and deal with them in a timely fashion for other guests.

We are in the process of during numerous renovations throughout our hotel and replacing the carpet is high on our list. Unfortunately, as much as we wish they didn't, things take time to change. Carpeting is on the list of major renovations that need to be done.

As your stay was not the norm for us, we would ask that you give us another chance in the future to show you a more enjoyable stay. Please come back when we have finished with all of our renovations. We look forward to it!!

Reviewed August 18, 2013

We had a whole tank of gas siphoned out of our car during the night. When we approached the 2 women at the front desk,they told us "We have lights around the building and security" however the lights above the back entrace were broken out and no lights were next to the entry for approx. 20 feet. They told us to contact the Police, but since the bldg. is on private property, law enforcement is not going to do ANYTHING. No offer to comp any $ or % on our room. We were not asked if we wanted a room by the pool, which they also did not supervise/close at 10p as posted and there were people still swimming/noisy at 11:15p. A fight in the next room also awoke us a 1:45a and they did nothing about that either We also had no one seat us in the breakfast area, they didn't clean any of the 15+ tables the entire 45 min. it took us to get an egg sandwich and some very minimal breakfast. They were clearly waiting for all the guests to leave the breakfast area so a bridal party could set up for a lunch or dinner making us very uncomfortable. It was a total nightmare F- and we usually LOVE the Choice hotels chain

Room Tip: Make sure you ask if it's near the pool, handicap accessible and what exactly does "complim...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DiggerMagee
Joanne T, Guest Relations Manager at Pocono Plaza Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

I am sorry you were not happy with your stay here at our hotel. I have shared your comments with our Owner and Department Managers to address the issues you mentioned. What happened during your stay is not the norm for our hotel and we will definitely take steps to ensure that it does not happen again.

I have also talked to the owners of the restaurant and have expressed your concerns with them. It is not the norm to have a guest wait for the amount of time that you did for their food. He has assured me that he will look into this.

Again I am sorry that you were not satisfied with your stay and hope that you might consider giving us another chance to show you a more enjoyable stay if you are in this area again.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

First a quick note in response to other reviews:
This hotel isn't a Four Seasons hotel, but for some reason people here are complaining for things that they should have known when they checked in. Things such as no breakfast or the price. This place is competitive for the area, most other hotels are much more. And how can you complain about no free breakfast if you knew that when you booked? It's strange to complain about something that wasn't included in the price.

My review:
For the price (compared to other hotels around the area at this time of the season), this hotel was good enough for a place to stay. The pool was clean, some water around the deck, but I don't see how that is avoidable. The rooms were a little dark, but clean and comfortable. After talking to the staff, the hotel is under going renovations, and thanks to a Management change, apparently is in much better hands.

We got in late, and didn't eat at the restaurant, so can't make a comment there, but there was a few people eating what smelt like good food. The pub had some sort of dj and the crowd was an interesting bunch to watch, it was a good time. Drink prices were reasonable as well.

Overall thoughts:
As I stated, it is an older hotel, but I have stayed in hotels that give you the creeps sleeping there, this one didn't. Sure, it has some older looking rooms, but they seem to be working hard at getting it updated. At least it is a solid place to spend the night. The area is expensive, so this is as good of a deal as any that you will get. I wouldn't have any problems booking here again.

Room Tip: A room with pool access was nice to have. Easy walk out deck to the pool. Only downside is you got...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nicole P

I would like to take the time to thank you for your wonderful review of our hotel. I have shared this with our owner and our department managers. It is nice to be able to also share a nice review with all of our employees too, it lets us and them know that all of our hard work does pay off.

We are doing numerous renovations in all areas of the hotel and hope that you will come back again when we are finished to see the finished product!

We look forward to seeing you again and thanks once more for your lovely review.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stroudsburg
Holiday Inn Express Stroudsburg - Poconos
Fairfield Inn & Suites Stroudsburg Bartonsville/Poconos
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#2 of 2 in Pocono Manor

Been to Pocono Plaza Inn? Share your experiences!