“Wonderful Service, Food and Atmosphere in Amish country”
Review of Iron Horse Inn - CLOSED

Iron Horse Inn
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 25, 2013

During a recent weekend getaway, my husband and I visited The Iron Horse Inn as recommended by our innkeeper. We had been undecided where to go for a meal- mostly wanting a good meal and good service above anything else. This establishment exceeded those expectations in a dining experience!

Upon arrival, you have your choice of limited on street parking out front or parking off street in their lot around the side and back. The building's exterior is in keeping with the area's history and background, which many travelers look for when visiting the area.

Inside, the restaurant is simply decorated and has nice pictures of the trains and pictures of the area's past history. Subtle gray walls and white trim lend a relaxed feel, the black tablecloths borrow from the iron rich history of the trains and the large windows allow for plenty of light and watching many horse and buggy passing by out front.

The service is excellent, we had a very attentive and sweet woman take care of us and even helped with menu choices. We never had an empty glass, long wait or wanted for anything that she was not already on top of!

My husband had the Guinness Stew (soup of the night) and its all homemade, quite a steal at just $3.50/bowl. It smelled glorious to say the least- and from how he sopped up every last drop with the fresh baked bread rolls at our table, it had to be absolutely mouthwatering!

I chose the escargot for an appetizer, which was something I'd always wanted to try. No disappointment here- they were fabulous. Served out of the shell in a wonderful scratch made garlic infused butter, diced reduced onions and sliced crostini, beautifully plated and packed with flavor. If you enjoy mussels, clams or oysters, escargot has a mildly comparable taste and texture to those shellfish. This dish is one worth trying, don't let escargot scare you off!

Our entrees came out nice and hot, smelling ever so tempting. My husband had one of the evening specials- Jumbalaya, while I had the wings in 2 flavors: Honey BBQ and Sweet & Sour. The Jumbalaya was loaded with very large shrimp, bacon, chicken and andouille sausage. The chef knows his stuff- the shrimp were perfectly cooked! The spicy scent wafting up from the plate was perfect, and the portions are large so if you are really hungry, you should be more than satisfied upon finishing a meal here.

The wings were crispy, hot and the sauces were spot on without being too much to dress the wings. They have close to ten choices for you to choose from for wings, and you can mix and match them.

At the end of our meal, our server brought the dessert tray to our table. The choices ranged from local dessert favorites to modern cakes and mousse. We chose to split the orange creamsicle cake, which came to us plated beautifully with a raspberry and white chocolate garnish with swirled hearts, a sweet touch to bring a wonderful meal to a close.

I would go back again but would like to not be seated in the bar area by the young hostess, it annoyed me because we rarely go out to eat and would enjoy peace and quite provided by the main dining area. I could understand if there was no space in the main dining area, but it was no where near close to full. There was a rather loud table two tables over from us that was seated about 10 minutes after us that we could have lived without hearing every word of their conversation ever so loudly. I would also have preferred to not be seated at the first table inside the doors when so many others were available away from the cold, winter air that whirled around us each time new patrons came and left the establishment on that snowy night.

My only other reason for not giving this restaurant a 5/5 is due to the online site NOT having prices included. In our experience, those restaurants are usually hiding high prices and we usually pass them up for restaurants which do disclose the prices. While some things were a little high, overall the value and flavor of the foods was worth the price. I hope that the management will consider listing prices and adjusting them accordingly as needed, it would increase the amount of people who look at the menu selections enjoying what they see, but skip the restaurant due to lack of pricing. It is far more relaxing to go into a situation where you know roughly what its going to cost, rather than be shocked and anxious upon arrival, feeling either stuck out of hunger or leaving for a more pocket-friendly dining experience.

2  Thank SparklySea

Reviewed February 13, 2013

We had dinner this past Saturday with a group of 8 and the service was fantastic. Our waitress was freindly, attentive, and everyones food was correct, hot and delicious. I will definatly be returning. I had the NY Strip Steak Gorgonzola special and it was cooked perfect medium rare.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Had an Imperial Stout on draft, the portabello and crab meat appetizer, and a brisket special. The meal was fantastic and the service was super-friendly.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Nice atmosphere for a date with my wife. We stop by 2 or 3 times a year. Always excellent food and service and tonight was no different. Corn and crab chowder was superb. They always have a great specials menu. Highly recommend.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

A little pricey but the food was very good. We got in late to our motel and just wanted something to eat close bye.