“This place is a dump!”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Strasburg
Endicott, New York
“This place is a dump!”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

We visit Lancaster County at least 8 times a year. We decided to go on a spur of the moment and we had never stayed here so we said it has been there for ever it must be fine. Boy were we wrong what a roach motel. There was garbage under the beds, mold in the shower, the place was an embarrassment to Lancaster. The pool looked like the pool in the movie Vacation with Chevy Chase. Please do not stay here.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MAS626
Laurie D, Manager at Amish Lanterns Motel, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
I'm sorry you were disappointed in your stay here at Amish Lanterns. Though we are an older motel our rooms are clean and neat, I apologize for issues you may have had but I was never made aware since you never came to the desk and let me know. Even though your comments were negative they will help me in making sure everyone who checks in have a pleasant stay in the future and I will remind all staff to do a better job and take pride in their work.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Washington, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2014

This motel should NOT be listed on NO web site. When we arrive true the manger were nice and friendly, But the room we were given, were on the second floor had to walk in this little dark stair way . Two door down from our room someone had sat out 2 empty beer bottles , The room were in TERRIBLE condition ,the curtain were missing a couple of hooks and the rug were DIRTED ,and SMELLY. We turn around and went back down and there was a couple of people sitting out in front of their rooms in their folding chairs like the LIVE THERE (I mean home ) I told the manger that I want my money back she ask why .I told her every thing that were wrong .And the only thing she could say was I have new curtain that I been meaning to get down there to put up . I guess the expression on my face said (just give me back my money).BEWARE OF THE AMISH LANTERN INN!!!!!!.Go down a couple miles there are better hotels.

Room Tip: Go to another Motel ,this place is terrible,I was just there.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hope H
Laurie D, General Manager at Amish Lanterns Motel, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
I am sorry you did not have a pleasant stay here at Amish Lanterns. Upon checking in I ask you if there was a problem with having a room on the second floor, your response was NO so I placed you in a room on the 2nd floor. Every room has a porch light at the door and both stairwells have timed lighting for the lights to come on as you approach them(both are in working order). You were here at the motel approx. 4 hours before coming to me with any issues you may have had, instead you came screaming and demanding your money back, which I did offer to you after we discussed several options. As I strive to make sure everyone has a great stay, not everyone is always satisfied. We are a very busy motel and most people are satisfied upon departure, sorry you were not. If you are ever in the area again please give us a chance to show you that you CAN have a pleasant stay.

Travelers are raving about these Strasburg hotels

Georgetown, South Carolina
Reviewed March 19, 2014

My wife and I checked into the Amish Lanterns along with our little (5lb) dog. We were there for 3 days. The owners were very nice, friendly, and helpful. The motel sits on a green hilltop right in the middle of the beautiful Amish farm country. What an envious treat to hear and see the buggies passing by. We would wave to them as they went by and a very friendly hello was given in return. The hotel has a little age on it but the owners take very good care of it. We really enjoyed our stay. It was so peaceful and quite and the rooms were very clean and comfortable. We can highly recommend the Amish Lanterns to you and when we return we will stay there again. To sum it up, clean, quite, comfortable, relaxing, economical, close to everything fun to do and see, and the owners are so very friendly and helpful. They make you feel welcome! Thanks....Debra and Dean

Room Tip: We favored the building next to the pool, 2nd floor. Very nice view!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank william j
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed November 19, 2013

This the second time we have stayed there.. I would rather spend my money in the outlet malls. It is a very basic hotel.. But it is warm and dry... The lady at the rest was friendly. Don't expect 5 star ... But we slept well and it did the trick. :-)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Cutler Bay, Florida
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Like some others I read the scary reviews about this motel. But the price was right for me , my husband, and 2 small dogs.
I agree with some other reviews that the motel was old. The fixtures were probably from circa 1950's. But that didn't bother me a bit. It reminded me of my Mom's house.
The room was very clean. The beds were comfortable. I slept very well. The service was great. The front desk Laura was exceptional. She makes very good coffee.
We were pleased with our stay. It was a positive experience. No complaints from this traveller.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank EvaPenkal
Reviewed August 27, 2013

My husband and I along with our two children decieded to stay here last minute and asked to have the room for a week, well we were told there was a two week minimum and the price was 250$ a week. This was reasonable so we said ok. When we went to check in the very rude employee tried to charge me over 1000$. When I said that I just spoke to her and the price was quite different on the phone, she changed her mind and the price changed again. This makes me wonder... She charged a family of 4 355$ for 4 nights, I overheard this transaction while getting my little debbie honey bun n coffee. (This isnt continental breakfast)I was also told everyone pays something different, depending on how much the rude woman wants to pocket.
There was an out of control drunk woman who put her hands on me, which apparently was a known trouble maker yet continued to be aloud to harrass the guests.
I chose to leave due to the drama and the lady refused to return my 275$. Thanks for the horrible stay. I recomend for everyone to check around, there is better.

• Stayed August 2013
8 Thank Kara M
Laurie D, Manager at Amish Lanterns Motel, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
As the manager I am aware of who this is. When you checked into the motel you gave false information and was asked to vacate property after accosting your neighbor who also happened to be your friend. To anyone reading this review PLEASE do not consider this a valid review, this guest wrote this review after being asked to leave by the boro police. Please call management at hotel 717-687-7839 and I will be happy to explain in more detail.
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 10, 2013

The following is my opinion based on my recent overnight stay at the Amish Lanterns Motel. The room was dark, musty, and lacking in proper air conditioning. We were greated by long black hairs in the bathroom sink and a nice wad of black hair in the tub. That was probably why the lighting in the bathroom didn't work. The baseboard molding was peeled away from the wall and the wallpaper was off in spots. We walked down to the "snack room" and were horrified to see literary thousands of dead flies on the floor, not to mention the huge questionable stains in the carpeting. That room smelled just nasty!! I would poke out my eyes before I would stay here again. I barely slept a wink. My husband slept like a rock. He always says he can sleep "anywhere" and this just goes to prove it!!! Please don't waste your money.

Room Tip: Not a good room in the place, no tips to be had.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Beverlina E
Thank you for staying with us. I am sorry you were displeased with your stay. We are not a newer motel but we are a clean, presentable hotel with much to offer. Our snack vending area is cleaned on a daily basis, however with many guests going in and out of area the door stays open more than closed, I will look into this matter and see what we can do so insects do not have easy access to the room.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Strasburg
Clarion Inn Historic Strasburg Inn
La Quinta Inn & Suites Lancaster
Hershey Farm Inn
Hershey Farm Inn
#2 of 16 in Ronks

Been to Amish Lanterns Motel? Share your experiences!