“Do not stay here!!”

Amish Lanterns Motel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Strasburg
“Do not stay here!!”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

My daughter had booked the room we had stayed there a few years ago and it was cute. We pulled up and there are 3 farm workers sitting in front of our room drinking beer and smoking. The kids run to look at the pool and are told they can't go in its closed because of the storm what storm? It full of leaves and tree branches. The owner Lori came out and tells me it's 30 dollars more for the children I told her I didn't want to stay here and I want a refund. I didn't care if she gave me by money or not I wasnt staying there for anything it was worth it not to catch the bedbugs. I called Expedia and complain and they had my money refunded. This is a run down transient motel .

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Epuglisi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I wish we had read the reviews before reserving. Booked for two adults a child and a dog. One towel for three. ;k When unlocking the room we were greeted by an infestation of dead bugs outside the door adorned by spider webs.. Then we were struck by the bad moldy odor of the room. The rug was so dirty i wouldn't even let my dog walk on the floor. We were appalled by the years of accumulation of dirt, non shampooing and trash under the bed . We went to the office and told the housekeeper if she could vacuum the floor, she was visibly bothered and told me she was busy and disappeared behind a door after slamming it. I just waited and waited until the other lady showed up and then in retaliation she tells me i cannot be there with the dog and started coming up with lies. The place advertises itself as pet friendly motel and had even charged us for the pet fee. Initially the lady , i believe it was the manager, refused to give us a refund and agreed to clean the floor herself. Later she then told us if we wanted to leave she would give us a refund and have no problem getting the room rented to someone else. We had to stay because of the dog. We did not even dare to look at the pool or go for the breakfast. The staff are ill mannered. They seem nice until you bring up an issue. It only takes an extra minute to vacuum the rugs properly, clear the exterior dirt and bugs, maintain the place and show some respect to those who keep them in business. Evidently they don't care after reading bad review after bad review with the same issues. AMISH LANTERNS ARE YOU LISTENING. Enough with the excuses.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Sheily9

Travelers are raving about these Strasburg hotels

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed July 18, 2012

the room was dirty, had cobwebs all over the ceiling, the ac was gross,the fridge was dirty and moldy and looked like it had not been cleaned at all ,there was no lamp on the table,which made the room very very dark, pillows were very flat and lumpy, carpet was very dirty so i wouldn't let my grandson sit on the the floor he had to play on the bed.the tv didn't work right, the bathroom well....it was so nasty, the commode was dirty, sink was disgusting, the light over the shower didn't work and the screws had been broken off and full of mold and oh the best for last, i went to get in the shower and the paper thin white shower curtain was so full of mold i wanted too puke....
we had 4 people in our room and only had 2 towels which made it hard for everyone to bathe so we had too keep asking for towels and for our beds to be changed. there was supposed to be a coffee maker in the room too and there wasn't one. pretty much everything that was supposed too be there wasn't....big surprise...
the pool was dirty and there was no lounge chairs and the room where the ice machine was so dirty and smelly and hot it took your breathe away. we booked with expedia.com and they told hotel we had 2 adults and 1 kid and they lied too me about there being hair dryer,iron and ironing boards in the rooms and we was told that we got complementry breakfast daily and we didn't.
the pictures on the website are false advertisement the hotel is so not what the pictures look like at all, if i could have gotten back my money i wouldn't have stayed there at all. our grandson was looking forward too being able to go swimming and we couldn't use the pool it was upsetting too the whole family. i wouldn't recommend this place to house your pets....it's very run down and un kept and very out dated. the maid got blamed for everything and well what can i say...please beware book your room with another place this place is not worth your time or your money..

Room Tip: book at another hotel..............
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Kim A
Bronx, New York
Reviewed July 2, 2012

My first impression of this motel was of the front office....as u walk in u are hit with the smell of cigarettes.... that theme followed thru all other areas of the hotel. The people smoked outside their rooms nonstop causing u to shut your door as fast as possible before it followed u into your room ( don't use ur screen door)..., At the pool , there was an overhang for shade but unless you want lung cancer its not the place to sit..The other guests were friendly chainsmoking rednecks with a dog at the pool... The pool furniture was filthy with mold on them.( another theme at this hotel)..It was 100 degrees so we went in the pool but it wasn't the cleannest either...Now for the rooms, we had two... the first had mold in the grout in the shower, so i reported it to the front desk and Lori ( the owner) came right away and cleanned our bathroom...she blamed the cleanning staff...later noticed the inside of the the clear knobs in the shower were black with mold..Gross..but i have to say good water pressure...2nd room had a tub surround, so no mold...first room had no less than 25 stains on the carpet. can not believe it was ever steam cleanned...2nd room had a very busy carpet so not sure about stains..The bath towels (and i use that term loosely) were tiny and we had to ask for towels both days we were there...If there are 3 guests in a room, why put only 2 towels ? The condition of the tiny towels was horrible... old , scratchy, great for exfoliating but to dry yourself with was a joke...I have nicer rags at my house...The beds were comfortable but the pillows were full of lumps and i was uncertain of the condition of the bedspread...Airconditioner worked great and there was a small fridge and a microwave in the rooms...This motel was cheap but i have stayed in other hotels in this area for less and a little bit more and never found these conditions. We would stay out as long as we could to avoid being in those rooms and sitting outside was not an option due to the chainsmokers who resided in every room around us... Coming back at nite, the entrance and driveway were very poorly lit ...There was a large soccer tournament in town that weekend, which is how we ended up going to a motel we didn't see first, and why we didn't leave....As a last impression, i went to the office to return the keys early sunday morning to find the owner in her pjs with a leopard print robe just openning the office...very professional....Do not stay here unless you Smoke, like filth, old dirty carpeting, peeling wallpaper ,etc!!!!

Room Tip: not room #6....Dirty....
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank jamainthewind
Spring Grove, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I can finally say I'm a true believer in you get what you pay for. Never again would I stay there or recommend it to anyone. To say this place is outdated and dirty would be an understatement and embarrassment to Lancaster County. Here's the list of horrible:
1. Walked in room and front window popped open because it was broken. Had to push it shut everytime the door was opened or shut.
2. Bathroom light didn't work and owner even told me it didn't work ...... Then how about fixing it!!
3. TV didn't work, told her about it and she told me how to fix it, that didn't work, TV just had a message that said it was a bad signal call a 1-800 #.
4. In the bathroom there was something that looked like bird crap splattered on the seat, not sure if it indeed was or something dripping out of the exhaust fan. First time I've ever stood to go to bathroom in a motel. And in the AM, it actually sounded like birds were living in the motel somewhere, I jumped up out of bed and ran in the bathroom to see if they were in there because it was so loud.
5. Multiple holes in the wall.
6. Hot water only stayed hot for about 3 minutes, my camper has hot water longer than that!!
7. Comforter on bed looks to be about 30 years old, very dirty looking, sheets looked like they probably weren't changed for a while and one pillow had a missing case??? I just assumed the last people that stayed there made the bed and they never checked it or pulled the comforter back.
8. AC worked great, I'll give that an A+
9. Pool was horrible looking and disgusting, I've swam in creeks that were cleaner. And for a Holiday weekend, why wouldn't it be cleaned and open?
10. Sink in the bathroom wouldn't drain, you had to pull up on the stopper to get the water to drain.
11. The chairs on our balcony were so dirty and disgusting I wouldn't have sat in them on a dare.
12. We were given a free breakfast, we never did redeem it because after looking at the motel room and the way the upkeep was, we were actually scared to eat there, so not real sure what it was like.
13. And you may ask, why didn't you call the office? Because there was no phone in our room!! And my thoughts were, why would they fix anything if they already gave me a room with a bathroom light not working and holes in the walls!!
14. I got this room to stay close to the auction I was at for 2 days, no need to take the camera, what a mistake; I would have loved to add photos to this review.

I just want you to know that I do not know the owner and have never stayed there before this weekend, so I have no reason to write a bad review, other than to give an honest version of what this place was like. I wish I would have read the reviews myself before I booked it. In all honesty, I think this run down place is beyond repair, just needs to be torn down and started over.
DON'T LET THE PICTURES FOOL YOU, THEY ARE OLD AND OUTDATED, JUST LIKE THIS MOTEL!!
So to end this, I will say Thank You Amish Lanterns Motel, you have changed me. Because from now on I will always read reviews and spend a few extra dollars to get a descent motel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Shane S
York, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 11, 2012

very little hot water, only half roll of toilet paper in room, weird heat, weird tv setup, extremely wirnkly bed linenes make one wonder if they were unwashed from the previous guest. Not terribly unclean, but with just a little more care and concern for the guest, this could be a failry decent budget motel. Would've contacted the office to complain, but came in late, tried to call front desk from in room phone, but it didn't work either. Just made the best of it and check out early in the am.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank fair2u
Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 29, 2011

The name is quaint, nothing else is. The Amish should protest to have the name changed. This hotel is downright disgusting and ownership on site doesn't seem to care. They're usually no where to be found anyway.
1. The place is filthy and run down inside and out.
2. AC, TVs don't work
3. Lamps are broken or bulbs burnt out
4. No toilet paper and they won't give you any, don't ask. It's bring your own.
5. Bathrooms, bedding, everything is worn and dirty. Better towels in a car wash.
6. Funny business with credit cards, watch out.
7. The pool is disgusting and has mold everywhere.

This is just a non salvageable property. Expiration date long passed. GROSS!

• Stayed June 2011
3 Thank travelinman47
Laurie D, Manager at Amish Lanterns Motel, responded to this review, December 12, 2011
I apologize for what you encountered during your stay this past summer. Did you bring your issues to the front desk? I can assure that there is someone on property at all times who could have helped with any concerns or questions you may have had. We were going through a property management exchange at the time of your visit so again, I apologize. It is always nice to get feedback of any kind this way we are more able to see the areas that need attention and take action to resolve the issues.

Laurie Diaz
Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Strasburg
Clarion Inn Historic Strasburg Inn
La Quinta Inn & Suites Lancaster
Dutch Treat Motel
Dutch Treat Motel
#13 of 16 in Ronks

Been to Amish Lanterns Motel? Share your experiences!