“not a good experience” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Strasburg
York, Pennsylvania
“not a good experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2012

very little hot water, only half roll of toilet paper in room, weird heat, weird tv setup, extremely wirnkly bed linenes make one wonder if they were unwashed from the previous guest. Not terribly unclean, but with just a little more care and concern for the guest, this could be a failry decent budget motel. Would've contacted the office to complain, but came in late, tried to call front desk from in room phone, but it didn't work either. Just made the best of it and check out early in the am.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank fair2u

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2011

The name is quaint, nothing else is. The Amish should protest to have the name changed. This hotel is downright disgusting and ownership on site doesn't seem to care. They're usually no where to be found anyway.
1. The place is filthy and run down inside and out.
2. AC, TVs don't work
3. Lamps are broken or bulbs burnt out
4. No toilet paper and they won't give you any, don't ask. It's bring your own.
5. Bathrooms, bedding, everything is worn and dirty. Better towels in a car wash.
6. Funny business with credit cards, watch out.
7. The pool is disgusting and has mold everywhere.

This is just a non salvageable property. Expiration date long passed. GROSS!

• Stayed June 2011
3 Thank travelinman47
Laurie D, Manager at Amish Lanterns Motel, responded to this review, December 12, 2011
I apologize for what you encountered during your stay this past summer. Did you bring your issues to the front desk? I can assure that there is someone on property at all times who could have helped with any concerns or questions you may have had. We were going through a property management exchange at the time of your visit so again, I apologize. It is always nice to get feedback of any kind this way we are more able to see the areas that need attention and take action to resolve the issues.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2011

I had a really good experience staying this motel and even after. At first, considering the reasonable price, It was pretty good place to stay! And guys, it was less than 80 dollars per night for 2 queen size beds and some old feature at the bathroom toilet cover does not make any problem, I stayed there on very snowy day and room was actually pretty warm and I didn't have any problem sleeping. The second, the location was great! near to the amish village and all the good buffet restaurants nearby(Miller's, Hersey Farm..ect.). If you don't mind spending more than 100 bucks for one day staying in same look-a-like major hotel or inn, do so! but It was actually great experience just sleeping at the reasonable but cozy motel and spending the rest of money on the activities and tasty food! And the last but the best, there are really nice people, I left a cellphone battery charger after checkout and you know what? the staff just mailed it back to me with no extra money! I even asked I can send them a check for mailing fee but the lady said no problem for mailing it back and not to worry about it. And I got my battery charger back!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Hyun L
We appreciate the time you took to review us and post your nice review. I am happy when our guest enjoy the hotel and what we have to offer. Thank you again for the kind words.

honestabe1122
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2011

I enjoyed the friendly atmosphere at Amish Lanterns. Granted, it is not the Four Seasons, but it isn't priced like it either. I was always told, "you get what you paid for," so I had to laugh when I saw people harrassing the manager because they "were used to better." I chose this motel because I didn't want to have to spend a lot of money, so I was not expecting luxury service. The staff was hospitable, the rooms were clean even though they were outdated, and whenever I needed something the manager was always there to help. The continental breakfast was much better than what I've been offered at other motels, too.
My only gripe--and it has nothing to do with the staff or property--is that there was some drunk construction worker that kept hitting on me...said he'd been here for awhile and needed company.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank honestabe1122
Thank you so much for the kind input about our motel. We may not have all the "thrills" of the big hotel but yes, we run a clean friendly motel. Sorry you had to witness an agravated guess but as the saying goes "you can't please everyone" and you had to listen to the guest. Again thank you for the input, and we hope to see you again.

Gautier, MS.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2011

The place is Run Down; service was very bad and didn’t know about the breakfast room down the hill in a separate building until just before leaving. The ice machine was broken and had to go to office for it and then only got ¼ bucket full. The coke machine took several of my dollars because they wouldn’t keep it stocked. In my room the foot of the bed was higher than the head, the lights didn’t work half the time in the bathroom, and refrigerator would freeze you drinks if you were not careful because the door to the freeze was missing. This place is just “Very poorly run”!

Room Tip: Pricey for one night stay, Stay some other place, but you have to check out the Amish furniture stor...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
I apologize for any issues you had while staying with us long term. When you had an issue was it brought to front desk attentiont to be handled. With a long tern stay we ask what type of service you would like and how often during your stay so we do not disturbe your schedule. The issue with the soda machine, they come once a month to refresh the machine unless I am told of the issue I could call ask for a distributor to come and check machine. I am sorry for any problems you may have had.

Maple Shade, New Jersey, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2011

We are both handicappi and needed a ground floor room. Placed our reservation online and requested a king size bed and coffee maker and needed to be on the ground floor. We placed our reserv. on 08/09/11 for 09/24/11 to 09/26//11 and when we got there we were told that she had called us and said that there were no king size on first floor. We were both shocked cause we never recieved any calls to that effect! Manager got really angered that we said that we never received any calls from her. Never got told of any of the specials that they had by getting a room there. If you are reading this please do yourself a "BIG" favor and go "ANY" where else!!!! Sleep in your car would have been an upgrade!!!! And the room we had had an odor to it.

Room Tip: Anywhere other than this place
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Thomas G
Staten Island
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2011

This was quite possibly the worst motel I have ever stayed at. We checked in yesterday (8/23/11) and left later that night. We had a great time in Strasburg after we dropped our bags off and came back to a horror show later that night. First off, there was a giant spider web hanging from the ceiling. We were told someone left that day. I highly doubt that as it looked like no one was in there for a while. Okay, a spider web, no biggie. We tried to turn on the lights but they were so dim, we needed to keep our window shades open to see the room.

Next up, the pool looked like it was filled with salt water. That's fine, we weren't there for the pool anyway. Disgusting, but nothing that would spoil our vacation. We hopped in the car and drove around town and got back around 10pm.

As we walked in to the room, my girlfriend noticed blood on the box spring. Mind you the box spring was exposed without a cover and looked like it was from 1975. Blood. Seriously? You can't clean that up with Simple Green? How bad of a pig are you to let that show?

The bathroom was a whole other battle site that looked worse than the Invasion of Normandy. Mold on the toilet that I had to clean off, no tissues (That the incompetent "Manager" so happily said that they don't carry tissues in the room - How the hell don't you carry tissues in a motel room?!?!) and more importantly, a TV that didn't work. Fine, we don't need a TV. We are here to enjoy the town and ourselves. But a TV should be nice.

Listen, I know I only paid $70 for the night but come on, there were other motels in the area that were cheaper and from what I've heard, much cleaner.

Now, onto the "Manager". Well, she was a trip. She completely dismissed my complaints and wouldn't refund us our money. I guess it's okay to be a manager of a business and not worry about your reputation. Where I come from, managers at least make an attempt to make the customer happy. She shouldn't even be called a manager and the owner of the motel should be ashamed of him or herself for hiring her. She (who will remain nameless) didn't even care to apologize about our horrible stay. I wouldn't even call it a stay since we left that night!

As I scratch myself here in fear that I might have brought back a nice case of bed bugs, I can honestly say PLEASE DO NOT STAY HERE! The room was terrible! If you're a vampire or salt water fish, then this is the motel for you. But if you're a clean, normal human being who cares for his or her health and safety, keep driving. Don't let it ruin your trip as it had ours. Now I have to spend today writing to the Better Business Bureau of Lancaster County, as well as other organizations.

The manager has my information so if she feels like she wants to redeem herself, as any competent and professional manager should, she should feel free to contact me.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Joe F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Strasburg
Clarion Inn Historic Strasburg Inn
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Lancaster East - Strasburg
Fulton Steamboat Inn
Fulton Steamboat Inn
#2 of 38 in Lancaster
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,830 reviews
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lancaster (Amish Country)
Comfort Inn Lancaster - Rockvale Outlets
Carriage House Motor Inn
Carriage House Motor Inn
#4 of 5 in Strasburg

Been to Amish Lanterns Motel? Share your experiences!