“Had to leave immediately - horrible” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Amish Lanterns Motel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Strasburg
DeKalb, Illinois
“Had to leave immediately - horrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2011

The first thing to know is that we are REALLY easy-going people and don't get too worked up about little inconveniences. That having been said, we were flabbergasted when we got to the motel. Made reservations early due to what appeared to be a very nice website, but when we arrived we found a motel that looks like it had already turned to transient housing. The grounds were a mess, the pool was clouded green with algae, it was later afternoon and food was still out on the breakfast room counters stored open, and the room was beyond just old decor (which we don't mind at all) and appeared not to have been rented out or serviced at all recently - maybe not even within the last several months. An abandoned van with flat tires was parked by the rooms. The buildings themselves were in pretty notable disrepair, and we just gave up on it and left immediately. Too bad.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank freeman93

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Harrington, Delaware
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2011

I had read reviews stating this motel was bad, but I figured even if the motel was old and "shabby," we only needed a motel for one night and just wanted a clean room with 2 comfortable beds, and AC. We had reservations made several weeks ago. When I walked in, I told the "new" manager I just wanted to make sure the room was clean and had AC as the temps were in the 90s. {Several of the key boxes had signs that said "Do not rent this room." She gave us the Room #25 key, telling us the window was open because the room had been "closed off" until recently. We walked in to a very muggy, musty room. The towels in the bathroom smelled like they had been in there the whole time the room was "closed off." We went to close the open window and the crank on the window fell off. We turned the AC on and only "fan" air came out. But we were still willing to give it a chance. I took a shower, and upon coming out of the shower, noticed a bunch of dead spiders on the floor in the corner of the bathroom. I went to pick them up with some TP and the TP came up filthy. I took another wad of TP and wiped it across the bathroom floor and it came up black, almost like soot. I checked the underside of the bath mat I had just stepped on and the whole underside of it was black streaks. We turned the "made" beds down and there were bugs in the sheets. I took my "evidence" to the manager and she gave me they key to Room 30. Room 30 was clean, but was missing whole light fixure in the bathroom ceiling (hole in the ceiling). The AC could be set to 60 degrees, but could not be set to "cool," only to "heat." The manager "grugingly" gave me the key to two more rooms, 15 and 16 telling me, "if neither one of these is good enough, that's all we got." Well, Room 15's AC didn't work at all, and Room 16 had only one double bed. We ended up taking Room 30 with the AC set on "heat" only putting out fan air. We had to sleep in a motel room with the windows wide open all night. I have NEVER EVER had even a remotely bad experience like this motel. And the web site for the motel says "3 Stars motel." I think the health inspector should close this place down, and it should be fined for false advertising. I didn't see until after we stayed there that the website had a 100% guarantee. I should have run when I had the chance!!!!!
Oh, and their "continental breakfast" was a few cereals and muffins. Also the pool was just full of green slimey water and unusable. And this was a 3-day holiday weekend!

Room Tip: Don't even try. Run like heck!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank aligirl1

Travelers are raving about these Strasburg hotels

Copenhagen, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2011

The room itself was fairly clean. The motel inside and out and the grounds were very run down and shabby. The outdoor pool was not yet open but I would not swim in it regardless. Dirty and not well maintained. No phone or clock in room. The free breakfast consisted of bran cereal, donuts, toast, coffee, juice and milk. On a positive note, it is very close to the Sight & Sound Theater and other attractions.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank likestotravel0813
Brandy Station, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2011

We were astonished at the shabby, abandoned appearance of this motel when we pulled into the parking area and things only went downhill from there. (The ONLY reason that we stayed was the fact that we made prior reservations and they had our credit card info.) The room was dingy and dirty and the carpet was filthy. The towels and sheets were a grey color and USED soap was left in the tub. The internet did not work and the TV was jury-rigged to operate with 2 remotes. The ice machine did not work. We did not partake of the free breakfast because who would want to eat or drink under these conditions?!

Room Tip: Go to Econo-Lodge. They're cleaner!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Cobrat
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2011

Unfortunately I chose this motel because of the price. It's a dump! Bathtub was grimy, moldy and dirty; toilet seat had huge chips in it; bathroom ceiling vent was caked with dust and grime. Carpet was stained. Comforter and blankets were stained. Towels were dingy gray. Room had a microwave and fridge - the fridge temp control knob was broken, and it froze everything I put in it. Television had only one channel. Embarrassed to say I stayed here two nights!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank jaydeeNvegas
VIRGINIA BEACH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2010

Amish Lanterns is a hotel that represents what hotels used to be - family run operations. I stayed there first because of my budget. I have stayed in several of the area budget hotels and Amish Lanterns is the best I've found. I stayed at the hotel for two nights and I found the room to be clean and very comfortable. I had some issues connecting to the WIFI but the hotel staff went out of their way to help me with that issue (which in the end was an error with my laptop). In an effort to help me get the better WIFI they moved me to a different room. So, I can say that both rooms were equally clean and comfortable. In fact they were almost identical. I found the Amish Lanterns to be a great little place overall. I travel to Lancaster several times a year and always travel on a tight budget. Being on a budget I make it a point not to choose $50 a night hotels and expect $300 a night service. But the staff at Amish Lanterns went far above any expectations I may have had and delivered exactly what I look for when I travel - a comfortable room at an affordable price and I can't say enough how freindly and helpful the staff were. I believe that Amish Lanterns will now be my motel of choice when I'm in the Lancaster area.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2010

Yes, I would recommend this motel to a friend because the couple who runs it is very friendly and helpful. She gave me a lot of advices on where to eat close from the motel.

Sure, the motel could be updated quite a bit but it gives another atmosphere as well. The breakfast was great with a lot of stuff to choose from.

I didn't notice anything special about the cleanliness, so I guess it's a good point.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank JulietteWDC
Also consider these accommodations in or near Strasburg
Clarion Inn Historic Strasburg Inn
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Lancaster East - Strasburg
BEST WESTERN PLUS Revere Inn & Suites
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lancaster (Amish Country)
Cherry Lane Motor Inn
Cherry Lane Motor Inn
#10 of 16 in Ronks
Carriage House Motor Inn
Carriage House Motor Inn
#4 of 5 in Strasburg

Been to Amish Lanterns Motel? Share your experiences!