“Shabby and run down but fairly clean”

Amish Lanterns Motel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Strasburg
Copenhagen, New York
“Shabby and run down but fairly clean”
Reviewed May 16, 2011

The room itself was fairly clean. The motel inside and out and the grounds were very run down and shabby. The outdoor pool was not yet open but I would not swim in it regardless. Dirty and not well maintained. No phone or clock in room. The free breakfast consisted of bran cereal, donuts, toast, coffee, juice and milk. On a positive note, it is very close to the Sight & Sound Theater and other attractions.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank likestotravel0813

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Brandy Station, Virginia
Reviewed April 30, 2011

We were astonished at the shabby, abandoned appearance of this motel when we pulled into the parking area and things only went downhill from there. (The ONLY reason that we stayed was the fact that we made prior reservations and they had our credit card info.) The room was dingy and dirty and the carpet was filthy. The towels and sheets were a grey color and USED soap was left in the tub. The internet did not work and the TV was jury-rigged to operate with 2 remotes. The ice machine did not work. We did not partake of the free breakfast because who would want to eat or drink under these conditions?!

Room Tip: Go to Econo-Lodge. They're cleaner!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Cobrat

Travelers are raving about these Strasburg hotels

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed April 21, 2011

Unfortunately I chose this motel because of the price. It's a dump! Bathtub was grimy, moldy and dirty; toilet seat had huge chips in it; bathroom ceiling vent was caked with dust and grime. Carpet was stained. Comforter and blankets were stained. Towels were dingy gray. Room had a microwave and fridge - the fridge temp control knob was broken, and it froze everything I put in it. Television had only one channel. Embarrassed to say I stayed here two nights!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank jaydeeNvegas
VIRGINIA BEACH
Reviewed November 24, 2010

Amish Lanterns is a hotel that represents what hotels used to be - family run operations. I stayed there first because of my budget. I have stayed in several of the area budget hotels and Amish Lanterns is the best I've found. I stayed at the hotel for two nights and I found the room to be clean and very comfortable. I had some issues connecting to the WIFI but the hotel staff went out of their way to help me with that issue (which in the end was an error with my laptop). In an effort to help me get the better WIFI they moved me to a different room. So, I can say that both rooms were equally clean and comfortable. In fact they were almost identical. I found the Amish Lanterns to be a great little place overall. I travel to Lancaster several times a year and always travel on a tight budget. Being on a budget I make it a point not to choose $50 a night hotels and expect $300 a night service. But the staff at Amish Lanterns went far above any expectations I may have had and delivered exactly what I look for when I travel - a comfortable room at an affordable price and I can't say enough how freindly and helpful the staff were. I believe that Amish Lanterns will now be my motel of choice when I'm in the Lancaster area.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
USA
Reviewed October 26, 2010

Yes, I would recommend this motel to a friend because the couple who runs it is very friendly and helpful. She gave me a lot of advices on where to eat close from the motel.

Sure, the motel could be updated quite a bit but it gives another atmosphere as well. The breakfast was great with a lot of stuff to choose from.

I didn't notice anything special about the cleanliness, so I guess it's a good point.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank JulietteWDC
Lake Peekskill, NY
Reviewed October 6, 2010

We arrived at the Amish Lanterns motel at around 8:30 p.m. There was a man at the desk who didn't speak English. He called a woman on a cel phone, and she told my sister to just go to the room and we would take care of check-in the next day.

We got to the room and were pretty skeeved out. There was wallpaper border that was peeling. A little Elmer's could have taken care of that. There were water drip stains running down the wall near the sink, which was separate from the bathroom. The carpet had big nasty looking black stains. We didn't take off our shoes. The bathroom shower faucets were filled with black mold that oozed out when you turned the knob. Luckily I brought towels, as the ones they had were small, old and scratchy. Likewise, I brought a quilt with me and slept with that.

There was a room with an ice machine that had glass doors that were filthy. A little windex would have really spruced up the otherwise filthy room.

The next day, my sister was straightening out our vehicle when the man from behind the desk approached her yelling, "Office!" When she asked him what was wrong he just repeated, "Office! Office." She went to the office to find the woman who she had spoken to on the phone the night before. My sister didn't know that the room was paid for through Orbitz, and paid for the three days we were there. I never stayed anywhere where they made you pay before check-out. I thought that they just ran the credit card in case of incidentals.

When I came home and received my credit card statement, I found that I was billed by both Orbitz and Amish Lanterns for the three nights. I called Orbitz, and they called Amish Lanterns. Orbitz was told that the "manager" was not around and would not be until the following day, and that there was no one who could find any record other than the fact that I did stay there. A week went by, and the problem was still not resolved. I called Orbitz again, and again they were told that the manager would not be around until the following day. At that point I told Orbitz that the person they spoke to couldn't speak English, and the "manager" was his wife, who was likely upstairs taking care of the kids. At that point the person at Orbitz became annoyed (not with me), and got a supervisor's advice. They decided to refund my money in full, and deal with Amish Lanterns on their own time. Gotta love that Orbitz.

Upon check-out, the owner/manager lady asked me sister to write a nice review on tripadvisor. Unfortunately, my sister doesn't write reviews. I do.

There are so many nice places in the area for the same price and even less. Don't put your health or stress levels at risk; stay elsewhere. Your car, even. Heck, a bench at the bus depot.

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank teachernthehood
Rajparekh, Manager at Amish Lanterns Motel, responded to this review, October 8, 2010
Dear Guest

First of all Sorry for the Inconvenience You had.

As far as check In is concern You were taken care of without any hassle even though my Front Desk People had to run to the Hospital in Emergency.

I take this opportunity to thank all my Guests in public who had helped my people during emergency and also taking good care of other Guest.

Regarding the dissatisfaction about the room it is evident from your ratings and review that it is not true. Firstly even though you had lot of issue as you said still you stayed for 3 Nights which is surprising. Secondly according to you rating for Room is 1 Star and Sleep Quality 3 Star which is again controversial because if the room is not nice and clean you cannot sleep even I would like to say you cannot stay but you stayed for 3 Nights and Sleep was not issue at all.

Regarding you been double charged as a matter of fact you been not charge twice. I do agree that you came through third party but still you never made a phone call to the Hotel and just try to find out. It can be a human error but it is easy to sort it out by sending us the receipt as evidence.

Yes we make sure with every single guest upon check out about their stay and any suggestions to serve better and also we always encourage our guest to write a honest review not nice one.

I didn’t get your comment “Be afraid” (of What?)You had advised not to put the health or stress levels at risk then why did you had put it at Risk by staying 3 Nights.

May God Bless You

Thanks

Raj
toms brook
Reviewed September 24, 2010

Don"t stay here the rooms are dirty and outdated. two out of the four towels we had were dirty. wi-Fi doesn't work had to piggy-back off of the house next door.MICE!!!
Was told at front desk it was the first time MICE!!!MICE!!!MICE!!! only recieved half refund. Go stay ANYWHERE else

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Col_homer
Rajparekh, Manager at Amish Lanterns Motel, responded to this review, September 25, 2010
Dear Guest

Thanks for your feed back and it would have been highly appreciated if it'sHonest.

I had inquired regarding your complaint.

First of all you had been facilated to Check In prior to Check In time i.e. Prior to 2 PM.

You showed up at 9:30 PM after being in the room all day long at Front Desk with your spouce and bring some other issue which even to your spouce was not right in your presence and to some extent you also did agree with that after immidiate verification.
But we don't know for what so ever reason may be personal you had decided to leave and you told about the Mice which honestly speaking even till date we never found any.
Still the Front Desk had given you 50% Refund As you had mentioned.I really appreciate that.

I would like to request you that your honest opinion always help us to serve valued Guest in a better way.

Thanks
Also consider these accommodations in or near Strasburg
Clarion Inn Historic Strasburg Inn
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Lancaster East - Strasburg
Fulton Steamboat Inn
Fulton Steamboat Inn
#2 of 39 in Lancaster
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,861 reviews
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lancaster (Amish Country)
Carriage House Motor Inn
Carriage House Motor Inn
#4 of 5 in Strasburg
Hershey Farm Inn
Hershey Farm Inn
#2 of 16 in Ronks
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,047 reviews

Been to Amish Lanterns Motel? Share your experiences!