“Great for all ages”
Review of Choo Choo Barn

Choo Choo Barn
Ranked #2 of 13 things to do in Strasburg
More attraction details
Owner description: Over 70 years in the making, this gigantic model train layout is still owned and operated by the Groff family. Master modeler, Tom Groff, designs and adds new animations, scale buildings and local scenes each year. See a fire engine race to the rescue to put out the fire at a burning house – with real water! Watch in awe as night falls over Traintown, USA. You’ll recognize local landmarks like Dutch Wonderland and the Strasburg Railroad – in detailed miniature! This is much more than a train display – it is an amazing, hand-built work of art.
Reviewed April 17, 2014

We saw it about 5 years ago but enjoyed it just as much on the second visit. Hobby shop is just next door.

1  Thank CBM_20
"take your time"
"dutch wonderland"
"love trains"

Reviewed April 12, 2014

We really didn't know what to expect at Choo Choo Barn but paid our $7.50 entrance and headed in. None of us are railway, or model, experts at all but we could all appreciate and be amazed by the detail and scale of this huge layout. I'm sure you could walk around 10+ times and see new things each time. The level of detail (and thus the time and energy spent on it) is incredible; there are people moving inside buildings that you must only notice if you stand and stare at one thing but yet, they're there. We especially enjoyed the little "stories" at different points; watching the fire engine not only respond to a fire but then have firemen assemble ladders and hoses to put it out whilst the property owners watched on in disbelief. The trains are almost secondary to the complexity of the layout! It has a local twist too, with local businesses and billboards.

The lady at the counter was really welcoming and helpful when it came to purchasing a couple of t-shirts. Thank you all very much for sharing this with us!

1  Thank Emma S
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Been a couple of times. Very intricate train display. Kids love it Fun at Christmas time....trying to find the hidden santas. Good fun!

2  Thank junebugsrbig
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Full disclosure, I am a distant relative to the present owners of the Choo Choo Barn. The first time I visited the Choo Choo Barn I'm guessing I was 6 to 7. Now at the age of 53, this is the first that I have visited the place since tha age. I am in awe of what I saw and could really appreciate the scenery. Buildings that I knew of in my childhood, (The Willows), Dutch Wonderland, etc.. all brought to life in miniature scale in the fantastic train layout. The animations are GREAT, from the fire in the A frame house, to the road paying, the circus and the rock quarry. To many animations to name here. There is a lot to see here, take my advise, take your time and look over every thing carefully. I made 2 rounds around the layout this visit, went to the gift shop and bought the DVD. Got and watched it, and say things in the DVD I totally missed in person. I plan on adding a visit to the Choo Choo Barn every time I get back to Strasburg to visit family.

1  Thank ATL0609