“Third time visit”
Review of Choo Choo Barn

Choo Choo Barn
Ranked #3 of 13 things to do in Strasburg
More attraction details
Owner description: Over 70 years in the making, this gigantic model train layout is still owned and operated by the Groff family. Master modeler, Tom Groff, designs and adds new animations, scale buildings and local scenes each year. See a fire engine race to the rescue to put out the fire at a burning house – with real water! Watch in awe as night falls over Traintown, USA. You’ll recognize local landmarks like Dutch Wonderland and the Strasburg Railroad – in detailed miniature! This is much more than a train display – it is an amazing, hand-built work of art.
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Every time I visit here I see something different. or maybe I just getting old and don't remember. Great O gauge railroad layout. Many things move Great for kids. If you have a younger child, don't forget to ask for a stool so your child can see over the platform base. We went on a Saturday and it was busy. I would try to check it out on a weekday.

1  Thank Kenny21NJ

Reviewed December 20, 2013

We had an hour to kill before attending a show nearby and chose to visit the Choo Choo Barn. We were more than impressed. There is so much to see that we probably missed a lot. The display was all decked out for Christmas and it happened that we visited on a Friday...they told us that all we needed for admission on Fridays is a contribution to the food bank. Don't miss the fire scene (smoke, a fire and water coming out of the hose to put it out)!

1  Thank Trish W
ChooChooBarn1961, Guest Relations Manager at Choo Choo Barn, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Thank you for your stellar review! I wanted to clarify about our Canned Food Fridays event. This is a charity event that we hold every December on the three Fridays before Christmas. Admission on those days is at least one non perishable food item per person or a donation. All proceeds go to our local food banks. We hope that you will make this an annual tradition!

Reviewed December 19, 2013

This was a surprise visit on our trip to the Sight and Sound Theatre. If you are a train lover, this is a great stop. Very large display of trains, towns, a carnival, a fair, and much more. Just great. For Christmas, it is decorated for the holiday!

Reviewed December 8, 2013

This family run, hand created railroad layout is fantastic. If you watch the videos on youtube to see how much is involved in the creation and maintenance of this attraction, you'll see it's pretty amazing. Don't go through too quickly or you will miss so much. My 5 years son and I loved the fire scene and the the nighttime scenes. We went during the Holiday season and he had a lot of fun trying to find all the Santas.I had to give 4 stars instead of 5 because of the cramped space in there. There is very little room to move around and see what you want, many times creating a traffic jam getting you stuck at areas that you don't want to stand for very long. And then if there is an area that you want to linger, you feel pressured to keep moving. But despite that, it was a great experience with my son!

Reviewed December 6, 2013

My toddler's #1 love was of course the Pennsylvania Railroad museum (right down the street), but if you are in the area it is definitely worth seeing this place as well. For us this was a one-hour experience, vs. the museum where with my guy we could have stayed all day, but they are completely different experiences so we are super thankful we had the opportunity to do both.