“Lovely peaceful hotel”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Strasburg
washington dc
“Lovely peaceful hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2007

After reading the reviews here on Trip Advisor I was a little nervous about the Netherlands Inn and Spa, but a friend had recommended it so we went ahead and booked. Overall, we had a lovely stay. Its wasn't the cheapest hotel option around but for us, it worked out really well.

We booked a 'King Suite' and I checked when booking that it had been updated. Apparently nearly all the rooms have now been 'updated'. The room was large - a king size bed with a large sitting area, walk in robe and small kitchenette. We had a crib waiting for us in the room and while it wasn't really big enough for our 1 year old, we had luckily packed our own portable crib just in case. The room was clean and had lots of light (it was on the ground floor at the end). I'd agree with the review earlier about the hot water - the shower was quite erratic and it was hard to get an even temperature. That said, it wasn't terrible and at least the water was hot!

We booked a 'Family package' that included dinner which worked for us as it meant we could all eat together at the restaurant early. The food was ok. Not amazing but not terrible. The thing that annoyed me though is that there is a separate menu for the package, which meant that the 'specials' (ie the food likely to be freshest) weren't included. The staff were great at the restaurant and were helpful in trying to feed my daughter before us and getting her water etc.

Breakfast was nice. Better the first day than the second. A big selection and again, the staff were great in helping us give our daughter some food and entertaining her while we tried to eat!

My husband and I also both had massages at Spa Orange and this was a huge highlight. The massages were amazing and the best I have had in a long long time. They were also reasonably priced (60 minutes for $60).

Overall it was a nice hotel and it had a lovely park setting which meant you felt like you were away from the hustle and bustle of the main road. We came back from our mini-break feeling very refreshed and ready to start the week again.

• Liked — Parklike setting, spacious suite, spa
  • Disliked — Food at the restaurant
  • Stayed August 2007
3 Thank drippyD

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Virginia Beach, VA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2007

I read all of the reviews before booking. I decided to go ahead with great apprehension. I decided to cross my fingers and go for it because the grounds looked so lovely, and I assumed if I could just get past check-in, I really wouldn't have to deal with the staff too much. I will NEVER again ignore negative reviews!!!!

I booked our three night stay in April for my mother's 70th Birthday weekend. It was all ladies and I wanted a place where if we spend time at the hotel, it would be somplace that had a nice atmosphere. I had called the day before we left and confirmed our reservation to the best of my ability. Something was going on with their phone system and I could BARELY here them.

We had gotten a bit turned around along our trip and we had a 7:00 show at the Sight and Sound. We had originally booked a dinner reservation at the hotel for 5:00. By the time we checked in, it was about 5:15. When we pulled up, I thought WOW this place is really beautiful. We were so excited to have finally arrived. Upon entering the Lobby we realized something wasn't right. There wasn't any power. When we approached the desk, we were told by two VERY young clerks that the Contractor performing the construction work next door had cut their power line and they were cancelling all reservations for that evening. My first thought was, "Why didn't you call when this happened?" (It happened at NOON) I didn't say anything, after all it wasn't their fault. It didn't take long to realize these kids were on the DEFENSIVE, I'm certain after an entire afternoon of being berated. So, I wasn't going to be one of those. The young lady showed me a list of hotels that still had rooms as the area was VERY FULL. We were afraid if we took too long to make a decision, we would be left without a room. We decided to try the Continental Inn. I asked for directions and neither of them knew where it was!!!!!!!!!! My frustration is mounting, but I'm under a time constraint as we have a show to get to...........the young lady told me to call back in the morning to make sure the power had been restored and we were welcome to have breakfast.

We trudged out to the car and headed for the Continental Inn (we called them for directions.) The good news is, it wasn't very far. That's where the good news ends. This place was nothing more than a motel. The main building had a few rooms inside. We asked for the price of their suite, which is what we booked at the Netherlands Inn for $189.00/night. They told us they had a suite available for $249/nt. I thought surely they were kidding. Again, we didn't have a lot of time and the place was filling up fast with people coming from The Netherlands. I wanted the best possible experience for my mom, so I said we would take it. We asked for a luggage rack, there wasn't any. Our room was on the second floor and there weren't any elevators. They finally found someone who could help us get our bags up the staircase and we opened our room. GROSS!!!!!!! The "suite" was two adjoining standard rooms and in one of the rooms, they had taken out the beds and put in two pull out sofas. I burst into tears. All I could think of was what if the power didn't come back on at The Netherlands and I had to spend my whole weekend here? I called The Netherlands and asked to speak with the Manager. His name was Michael Ritt. They gave me his cell phone number. I explained my situation, I told him that I realized he didn't have any control over the power or how much this hotel was charging me, but wanted to know if he would be willing to comp the difference I was paying at The Continental Inn, or offer complimentary dinner or a visit to the Spa? I was very polite when I called. HE was not. He told me they didn't have any plans to offer any compensation as the situation was not their fault. Well, it certainly wasn't mine either.

Fast forward to the next day. Now I have to decide between the lesser of two evils. Do I stay at this sad excuse for a hotel, or do I take my chances with an inn that clearly doesn't care about my business? I called The Netherlands and was told that the power had been restored but there wasn't any breakfast at the moment. Okay, so we packed up, had someone come help us with our luggage, and because they had complimentary breakfast we decided to eat there before heading to The Netherlands. (BAD IDEA to say the least) I will say this as a last comment on The Continental Inn..........we read on our map that they had shuffleboard, tennis courts, a pool, sauna, etc. and I said "I have to see this before I leave" When we walked around the back of the motel side, it was actually quite nice. I wish I had saved money by staying in a Standard room on this side. It had a lovely well landscaped courtyard with a nice playground, a well kept pool, picnic table with umbrellas, etc. It was actually quite nice in that area.

Okay, so here are back at The Netherlands. It was about 9:30 when we arrived and she called to make sure the room was clean. We waited about 15 min and she said we could check in. This girl was very nice, but not extremely professional. She didn't have "front desk" professionalism. Now, after having turned so many people away the day before, it seemed natural that they could have expected them to come back the next day. This girl was the ONLY ONE checking people in. The phone was ringing off the hook and there wasn't a manager of any kind in sight. That place should have been crawling with managers. Nearly every call she took while we were checking in was regarding compensation. She told every one of them that the manager was out of town and they would have to call back at the beginning of the week!!!!!!!!!!!! I was shocked. I really was.

The rest of our stay: we loved the area, we loved the Inn's grounds. They had some lovely places to sit and enjoy the views of farm houses, etc. It was very quiet and felt removed from the hustle and bustle of tourism in the area. We enjoyed wine in the gazebo that we had purchased in town and that was very enjoyable. The pool was clean the time we were there and not crowded at all. We used the hot tub and found that to be clean as well. The room itself was a huge improvement over the one at The Continental Inn, but it wasn't worth $189/night. We had a family suite that consisted of a room with two queen beds and a television. Another room with a daybed and another TV, a small fridge and the bathroom. I found the room to be clean, but I wouldn't call it updated. The water temperature is definitely a problem. You have to really be careful you do not get burned. If I'd had a child with me, they would have gotten bathed from the sink, it's that dangerous.

The dinner we had at the restaurant was one of the worst I've ever had. The food was horrible, the wine was terrible and the service was a joke. We think the hostess working that night may have actually quit and walked out. She was very frustrated with something and next thing we knew there were people running all around and we heard them say that they didn't know what had happened to make leave..............I'll say it again, Management is to blame here. They really need to rehire and retrain their staff to keep this place going.

Breakfast was alright, but I agree with another reader that some variety would be nice. We only ate here once. We paid for breakfast out the last day.

Lancaster in and of itself was lovely and we look forward to returning. Next time we go, we will stay the The Kitchen Kettle Village or if I return with my husband and son, we will stay the Best Western Eden. We took a tour of the Amish area via bus from the Amish Experience. We enjoyed that very much. Lunch at the Plain and Fancy was also very nice. We had breakfast at The Kitchen Kettle Village, it was delicious. We visited several other things in the area. Feel free to contact me if you have questions.

• Liked — Views
  • Disliked — Management/Staff
3 Thank nyagnandagn

Travelers are raving about these Strasburg hotels

Philadelphia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2007

My husband, son, and I stayed at the Netherlands Inn for four days in July, 2007. The property is easy to get to. Even though it is close to the outlets and most major Lancaster area attractions, it is removed enough so that you don't feel overwhelmed by the rush of visitors going up and down Rts. 896 and 30 during the peak seasons.

The Inn looks out over lush farmland and is surrounded by trees and flowers. It is very peaceful before 7am and after 6pm. Anytime in between, it is very noisy, as a nearby retirement community is under construction. Several of the hotel guests (ironically, most of them of the retired age) complained about the noise when we were checking out. We only noticed the noise on the last day, when we stayed on the property all morning until checkout.

We were disappointed by the treatment we received at check-in. Check-in is 3pm, and we arrived at 2:30 with the hope that we could get into our room. However, the receptionist (who barely made eye contact with us) told us that our room had not been cleaned yet. She made no offer to hold our bags for us, but simply said that we could come back in 10-15 minutes and see if the room was ready.

Our first floor room was pretty clean, even though we did find a nightcrawler running around the bathroom floor our first night. The room wasn't large, but we didn't expect the star treatment for $99/night. We were, however, disappointed to find no mini-fridge in the room. With all that great Lancaster food, getting doggy bags was useless because I had no fridge to store the leftovers.

It was great to have a complementary breakfast each morning, but by the third day, I was sick of french toast. While spatial constraints in the restaurant make it difficult to have something like an omelette station, I think that switching from french toast to waffles or pancakes would have been a nice change of pace for multi-night guests.

The breakfast options for all three days included scrambled eggs, french toast, sausage, bacon, danish, muffins, cereal, bananas, oranges, yogurt, and drinks. Breakfast was from 7-10, and food was replenished regularly. The wait staff was very attentive and helpful to indoor diners. We ate outside on two of the mornings, which was very pleasant except that you have to get your own silverware and setups from inside because the wait staff does not monitor the outside tables during the breakfast rush. Also, we had to return our dirty plates and glasses to the restuarant because we weren't sure if anyone would come outside to bus the tables when we were finished. Our walking into the restuarant to drop off dirty dishes resulted in some some strange looks from both guests and wait staff.

The pool at the Inn is small and did not appear to be skimmed regularly. We were planning on swimming on Monday, but changed our minds when the surface of the water was loaded with leaves. We would have gladly skimmed the water ourselves if we could have found the skimmer. By the third day, we were able to go in a clean pool. There are lots of chairs and tables around the pool, as well as lots of towels. The pool closes at 10pm. It is only about 5 1/2 feet deep, and has no slide or diving board.

Behind the property, there is a good-sized playground but some of the equipment is in poor shape. There are no bucket swings for younger swingers, and several of the swing sets had no swings. At least two of the ladders to the playhouses had rungs that were broken, making it hard for younger kids to maneuver.

Finally, while there were some families with children there, this property seems to cater to an older crowd. We got dirty looks from some patrons on multiple occasions, as if it was a burden for them to share a pool with a 2-year-old or to listen to a child say "I see Thomas!" during their breakfast.

On our last day, I went to Spa Orange for a manicure and massage, and I found it to be very relaxing and pleasant. The massage with Lark was a great way to end a nice family vacation.

• Liked — Scenic location, good value, nice spa
  • Disliked — No mini fridges in the room!!
4 Thank Pixie1271
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2007

While attending Sight & Sound, we booked several rooms for family members & friends for a weekend at the Netherlands. What a wonderful surprise! The visit was very pleasant from the time we checked in until we checked out (we added a day on to our stay due to the accomodations and the friendly atmosphere). We have already starting planning a 2008 Family reunion -this time I am going to take advantage of the spa!

• Liked — Setting and the large rooms
Pensacola, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2007

This is a property that has great potential, but isn't quite "there" yet. The grounds were even prettier than I expected, lovely plantings everywhere, and very well maintained. We enjoyed sitting on the chairs outside and taking in the view of the farmland in the distance and admiring the pretty setting. I wish I could say that about the rest of the property. We had booked a King Deluxe room for two nights, which was advertised on their website as being remodeled and updated, with a separate sink area, etc. Instead, we were given a room that was totally outdated, like something from the 60's or 70's. The worst part about it was the old A/C unit. It was loud, and got even louder as the night went on, which meant we didn't get much sleep. We were given the room we should have had the next night, and it was much, much better . . . as advertised, remodeled/updated, bigger, and a quiet A/C unit, but only after much confusion about whether our new room was ready - it was after 3:00. No offer of compensation was offered, either. Another guest was complaining about the dangerously hot water which was hard to control (we had that in the original room -in both the sink and shower), and he actually burned his foot from it. He complained that they didn't adjust his bill to comensate him for it. The breakfast was good, but it was so disorganized and so loud, with dishes clanging. . . people were walking in with no one to greet them, not realizing they could go ahead and seat themselves, and waiting around, then looking to find someone in charge. The pool was small, but nice, but the spa tub was definitely not clean, (murky water) so we didn't even think about getting in. Also, they let the used pool towels pile up and overflow. It was a pleasant surprise to see two hot air balloons overhead while we were lounging at the pool. By the way, we did hear the desk clerk tell another guest that they were still in the process of updating the rooms. I would suggest that you contact the hotel directly to make reservations, and to specifically request an updated room, or I think you will be disappointed, and may lose a night's sleep. Maybe once they improve the rest of the rooms and become a little more organized, it will be the kind of place it really should be. Our experience could have been wonderful with a few improvements.

• Liked — The location and the grounds
  • Disliked — Terrible room that was not renovated, as advertised
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Bermuda_1955
Yokosuka, Japan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2007

By looking at the website, we were anticipating a lovely, sophisticated and tranquil country retreat. In defense of the Netherlands Inn and Spa, many of the hotels that we saw and drove by in the area looked a bit rundown and sad, but this place was simply awful.

The room appeared to have just barely been cleaned and the upholstery was stained in many places and dingy. The room had the feeling, look, furnishings and smell of a college dorm room. The coup de grace was a 1/2 used old bar of soap in the bathtub.

The pool is small, crowded and on the 2 days we were there filled with screaming children. Not the hotel's fault, of course, but anyone looking for a relaxing, adult getaway should know that this is not the place. The chairs on the lawn seemed to be the only outdoor space on the property with a measure of tranquility, but they were dirty and covered in bird droppings.

The breakfast, included in the fee, was adequate but the hall was filled with dirty dishes and tables - the staff was clearly overwhelmed trying to feed the entire hotel that morning. There was outdoor seating on a patio as well, but literally every table was filled with heaps of dirty dishes and not a soul was dining out there.

Nedless to say, we will not be returning.

Stayed July 2007
2 Thank mrchiplambert
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2007

Despite some hesitation due to recent reviews my husband and I booked a 4 day get away and we were very pleased! The king deluxe suite was spacious and clean, including a small kitchen. We believe that the rooms above and next to us were occupied, but we did not hear the other guests, and the bed was comfortable, so we were able to relax and sleep peacefully. The grounds are beautiful as the spa is surrounded by farmlands and flower gardens, and the pool was delightful. Breakfast was decent was included in the room price and consisted of a buffet of eggs, bacon, sausage, etc. One evening we ate at the on premise restaurant "The Bistro", it was a bit pricey and the quality of the food varied depending on what was ordered, the specials seemed to be a good bet. We found the staff to be friendly and accomodating and would definately return if we were staying in the area.

• Liked — The pool
  • Disliked — Older plumbing effected shower pressure and temperature at peak times
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Autumn07
Also consider these accommodations in or near Strasburg
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Lancaster East - Strasburg
Fulton Steamboat Inn
Fulton Steamboat Inn
#2 of 39 in Lancaster
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,851 reviews
Eden Resort and Suites, BW Premier Collection
BEST WESTERN PLUS Revere Inn & Suites
BEST WESTERN PLUS Intercourse Village Inn & Suites
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lancaster (Amish Country)

Been to Clarion Inn Historic Strasburg Inn? Share your experiences!