“Lsncaster County's Best Kept Secret”

Clarion Inn Historic Strasburg Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Strasburg
Reviewed October 18, 2006

My husband and I stayed at Netherlands Inn & Spa for the weekend to attend a wedding. We had a fabulous time! The Ballroom where the reception was held was so beautiful and the meal (Crab cake & Filet) and the service was exceptional. The bar stayed open late to accomodate the wedding party. Everyone at the hotel was so friendly and helpful-from the banquet staff to the front desk person. We enjoyed our stay so much that we booked again for a spa getaway weekend for our upcoming anniversary. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jenn133

Reviewed October 15, 2006

We stayed at the inn about 5 years ago, and we must have gotten lucky with a nice room. So, fast forward to this weekend (15th of Oct 2006)

There's a wedding party checking in, and 2 people at the desk. tool about 15 minutes to get our keys. No big deal there. Finally get our "queen" room and it's two double beds. forget about fixing it.
Clerk (fake-redhair lady) wasn't helpful.
strike 1.

bathroom looks like something out of the Bates Hotel.
Did someone use a paint roller to re-surface the tub? Then add some mildew?

strike 2

Checkout: "politely ask the checkout women, "how are you?" as, and we find out. Lovely hearing your problems. and thanks for th e lack of help getting a better room.

strike 3

Won't got back. I won't recommend to anyway.

Stayed: October 2006
2  Thank ramblemn
Reviewed October 14, 2006

My husband and I were unsatified. My husband planned a surprise romantic weekend at the Netherlands Day Spa and Inn for our two year wedding anniversary.

When we arrived the receptionist was not friendly. It took her a few minutes to acknowledge we were standing in front of her. Also, most hotels will let you check in early and they did not. We arrived at 2:30pm and said we could not check in until 3pm.

The dinner at the bistro was overpriced and we were unsatisfied with our meal. I ordered the duck and I was not satisfied with it at all. The side caeser salad was $9.00 and we received lettuce, croutons, and very little dressing. My $6 glass of wine was bad. The bottle was opened to long. My $25 Duck was not that satisfying, but my husband did like his steak dinner. In addition, there was a couple sitting next to us and when he was asked how his dinner was he replied that he was unsatisfied.

As for the breakfast, there was a nice layout, but the food was cold. Also, we saw wait staff asking older guests if they wanted coffee or tea, but never asked my husband or I.

We did make our Saturday night reservation on Thursday and the only room available was 2 queen beds. When we got there, we received two double beds. My husband is 6'2 and 260lbs and he was not comfortable in the bed. The hotel did give us $20 off for this mishap. The room was not the nicest for $140. I have stayed in better for less in a city.

As for the spa, I did receive a wonderful 60 minute swedish massage. Unfortuantly I broke out with hives, which was an allergic reaction to their lotions and oils. The Spa was very friendly and attentive.

The country side scenery is absolutly beautiful, but that is about all we enjoyed at the Netherlands. We will not go back there. It is unfortunate. The idea and setup of the spa is great. Maybe it is not managed properly. Hopefully we were the only people that had a bad stay.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank asdfgh1234
Reviewed October 10, 2006

We were part of a group staying at the Netherlands Inn and were very pleased with our stay. We had read negative comments on this site about the place, but were not able to influence where we stayed. Much to our surprise the Inn does provide what its website promises. Our room was well appointed and all the appliances were working and above all it was clean. The bed was one of the best we ever slept in. Lobby and restaurant were all in tip top shape. Especially enjoyed the billiard room! We would recommend this hotel to anyone. Its location is superb, right by the Sight&Sound, the Train Museum and the shops. Breakfast was superior! We'd come back!

• Stayed: October 2006
1  Thank jan1225
Reviewed September 24, 2006

Do not believe the website photos, or their brochure.

They do not accurately represent what you will find at this motel. It is borderline fraudulent representation!! What is pictured and what they describe is a quaint, high end Country Inn, and what we found was typical for an aging, run-down roadside tourist motel. The prices are high and not at all worth what one receives.

Compare what is pictured with what we got on Sep 23rd:
Brochure: 4 poster bed; What We Got: thin mattress, with a broken headboard that was not properly attached to the bed
Brochure: fluffy bed linens, soft comforter on bed: What We Got: polyester bed spread, thin sheets, flat pillows, the type of bedding you would expect in a cheap roadside motel.

Furthermore, the place was dirty and unkempt. The toilet was not properly bolted to the floor, and rocked when sat upon. The drinking glasses in the room were disgusting. They had a cardboard cover on them, so they were put out as "clean" and not just overlooked. I returned them to the front desk so they could see what their customers were being given. They responded by giving me disposable plastic cups with a shrug, like it is a normal occurence. The in room coffee machine had a broken handle, although it unusable because it was filthy anyway. The carafe actually had a dirty film and long hairs wiped onto it, as if wiped with the same rag that was used to clean a bathroom. YUCK!

We will not be back to this place. The misrepresentation of what this place is, versus what they represent in their brochure and website is indefensible.

There is nothing wrong with running a run-down and dirty roadside motel. However, it is wrong to represent it as 'upscale' and 'charming', by depicting it as such in it's marketing materials, and it is wrong to charge the prices they are charging. BTW, we paid $259 for a "family suite." I would honestly expect to pay under $99 for what we got.

This is my first review on Tripadvisor. I see they have a place to post photos. Had I known, I would have taken some of this place, because my words cannot properly describe the unfathomable difference between their brochure and the truth!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank GwillyB
Reviewed September 23, 2006

We had booked this hotel because it was convenient for going to the Thomas the Tank event. After reading some postings AFTER we booked I was very nervous.(just found out about this site) We decided to give it a chance since it was only for 1 night. The pros were the convenience to our event, pool, jacuzzi, playground area, bistro restaurant, free breakfast buffet. The only con we found was that the room was not worth $189/ night. It was very small, moldy bath mat, needed some updating.
We were hardly in the room so it didn't really bother us too much.
The staff was very pleasant and overall we enjoyed our stay and probably would go back.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank beechmom
Reviewed September 16, 2006

The room was old and dirty; ripples in the wallpaper; rust in the bathroom; sandpaper sheets. Are they kidding with the pricing and the internet photos? This place should be $19.99/night. It is truly a dump.

• Stayed: September 2006
2  Thank gotham
Also consider these accommodations in or near Strasburg
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Lancaster East - Strasburg
Comfort Inn Lancaster - Rockvale Outlets
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lancaster (Amish Country)
Fulton Steamboat Inn
Fulton Steamboat Inn
#1 of 40 in Lancaster
Best Western Plus Intercourse Village Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn, Inn & Suites Ronks

Been to Clarion Inn Historic Strasburg Inn? Share your experiences!