WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Strasburg
Jerusalem, Israel
“Amish country”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

It was a very cold evening and we found this very nice inn, in a quiet place near the authentic Amish village - Strasbourg in Pennsylvania. The rooms are clean and nice and the front desk manager was very helpful. It's not the high luxury but comfortable for a night on the road for tourists.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sherman H, General Manager at Clarion Inn Historic Strasburg Inn, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience at our Hotel. We are a Historic Hotel nestled in the amish countyside, surrounded by amish farmland and near the Strasburg Railroad. Our rooms are clean comfortable and each room has different charm and character. We look forward to your return visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

The hotel had a cute flair about it due to the buildings and the layout. We stayed in room 103 which had two queen beds. It was a pretty good size room and it came with a mini fridge and microwave. The beds were firm but comfortable, the tv was nice and had many channels to choose from. The breakfast was very good with many options. Also, the free wifi worked well.

My biggest problem was the bathroom. It is outdated and the shower looked very worn out. My water temperature was hard to regulate in the shower. I had it just right and then it went ice cold on me then very hot. I do believe the nearby rooms play a factor in that, if someone is taking a bath or shower it seems like it affects you. Also, we were awoken much too early the morning of our departure by the sound of the upstairs or neighboring water from the shower or tub it was super loud....I mean loud and woke me and my husband up abruptly.

The restaurant right next door looked very busy and popular. We wish we would have eaten there instead of the Brasserie.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. We are a Historic Hotel and some features as well as the decor are restored. We look forward to your return visit.
Potomac, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

Three friends and I stayed here during the past week, when we came to play bridge at a tournament in Lancaster. We got this hotel via Priceline and could not have been more pleased. No, it's not a luxury property, but it is clean, comfortable and very welcoming. The rooms, each with two double beds, were perfect for two friends and it was great to have two sinks in each room. We enjoyed the complimentary breakfast and the good coffee, always available in the lobby. I rate this hotel as "excellent" for its category and recommend it highly.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing your experience at our Hotel. Our goal is to provide a clean comfortable room at a reasonble price. Our location in the amish countryside and great service lend to a charming stay.
virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

I booked a couple weeks in advance for nov 1,2,3. Against my better judgement, my hubby wanted to take our daughter and grandaughter to lancaster. Our special needs were to make certain that the housekeeping had our room well cleaned because someone in our party was currently taking chemotherapy treatment. We arrived at this clarion, I guess around 5 or a little after. The clerk lady seemed a little confused as to "now where will i
I put you..like we were surprise guest. "here, there.. no here" and finally gave us a room key. fter a long day of travel, and cooler weather than we anticipated my daughter opened the door of our room first thing that she saw was paint chips everywhere.. she peeked on in the door enough to just see that the room was dirty..unmade beds and towels on the floor. It was freezing cold so everyone piled back up in our vehicle and I walked back across the parking lot, through the grass lot to the office. I informed the clerk that the room was dirty and it was unacceptable. She said what do you mean its dirty? I described to her what we noticed. She said you mean the room hasn't been cleaned I said no it hasn't and I specifically requested that the room be extra clean per our special need. She acknowledged my request..and said yes, I saw that on your reservation. The clerked looked and looked at the computer.. I could tell she was very fustrated with the situation.. and said finally do you have to have two queens? I said yes, there are 4 of us.. I was kind of expecting next to have her ask for us to wait while she had the room cleaned but after a while she finally said.. well, I guess, I will have to put you in 241 which is a suite, but I can't do anything else. She said there wouldn't be an upcharge. Room 241 was nice and roomy, at the end of the hall. Over all the hotel is as others have said, showing its age. The whole arrangement of out buildings was rather odd. The tub was worn, and it leaked the whole time. the windows stayed fogged in the room from the heaters (which took a while but did heat nicely). The beds were comfy. We had neighbors come in one night that were way, way to loud in the hallway. I heard someone ask them to quiet down at least once, but when they went on going on 9, I stepped out to find young people standing/talking all in the hall. I said, hey guys, I am trying to put a little one to bed, can yall please keep it down. I gained a very respectful "yes, mam" and heard no more after that. - thank you. I don't think the kids knew how loud they were being our how the noise was bounceing in the hallway. The shower was nice and hot, but went cool sometimes, while running. Breakfast was eh.. typical adaquate I guess, though we did have to wait on saturday for a table. I didn't understand the tarp bungy strapped on the breakfast sunroom - very tacky. I'd stay here again. maybe, but I'd look else where first.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank swamperVirginia
Sherman H, General Manager at Clarion Inn Historic Strasburg Inn, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience at our Hotel. We are a Historic Hotel with Historic significance here in the amish countryside. We are sorry to hear that other guest were not considerate .Our check in time is at 4pm and when a guest requests early check-in , we cannot guarantee that accomadation. Rooms are preassigned prior to arrival and may not be ready prior to the 4 pm check-in.I apologize for the inconvenience and invite you to return in the future.
Clinton, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

The woman at the front desk was NOT friendly!!! Matter of fact, she seemed to be lacking people skills. When my husband and I entered the hotel she looked at us until we reached the desk. I gave her a warm hello and she hesitated as if she had to figure out WHAT we were. She was brash - asset or liability??? The property is showing its age, despite this fact, we had a comfortable two night stay.

Room Tip: Check Priceline, etc., for deals. Room on the rear were quiet.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing your experience at our Hotel. We take pride in our customer service and apologize for any misconceptions you may have had. I have addressed my staff to always go the extra mile for all our guests. Again I apologize for your inconvenience . I welcome you to return in the future.so we may demonstrate total satisfaction.
Philadelphia, Pa.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

When traveling we tend to stay at Choice Hotel-brand properties and are rarely disappointed. The Clarion Inn in Strasburg left an "eh" feeling with us. There are a LOT of competing hotels in the greater Lancaster area. I recommend picking one other than this Clarion. It's a big, sprawling hotel complex with a mis-mash of buildings that seems designed more for bus tour groups than the average traveler. The previous night we stayed at a Sleep Inn in Harrisburg and the difference between it and the Clarion was night and day, with the Sleep Inn being much better.

Normally I start with the "good" in my reviews, but here I'm making an exception. First impressions count -- and so do last impressions -- but apparently the front desk staff isn't aware of this. The woman who checked us in was completely unwelcoming. I don't expect fawning service or anything, but at least make me feel like the fact that I'm spending over $100 at your hotel is worth something. Ditto for the check out staff the next morning. Not even a thank you. In fact, they barely talked (or looked) at me. Get some hospitality training.

The other shocker is that our room was up two flights of stairs and there was NO ELEVATOR available. It's not that it was out of service or anything. It didn't exist. I see another reviewer commented on this, too. For a name-brand hotel in this price range, that's inexcusable. At the very least, it should be clearly noted when booking the room. We asked to have a room that was more accessible due to my wife having messed up her knee biking earlier that day, but the hotel was full (or so they said) and there was no switching.

To get to our room, which in all fairness was noted as being on an "external corridor," we had to go up the two flights of stairs (inside), then go outside onto a non-covered area (not fun when it was raining) and then to our corridor, which was thankfully covered. How about adding a roof over the transition between the stairs and the corridor?

Ok, so much for the "cons." There were some "pros" to the property. First, the location is very convenient for most of the sights people come to see in Lancaster, from the Strasburg Railroad and the PA RR museum, to Sight and Sound Theater, to the many nearby outlets. And, yes, you'll probably see Amish buggies out and about.

Once we managed to make it up the stairs and through the rain to our room, it was fairly nice. We booked a king-bed room and found a fairly spacious room with a comfy bed, a small desk and chair, and one arm chair. It's a shame they didn't put a sofa in there, though, as there was plenty of room for one. The bathroom was mostly updated, although the shower looked like it still had an older plastic shower surround that could have been cleaned better.

The included breakfast was very good and had a variety of options, including the ubiquitous make-your-own waffles, cheese omelets, sausage, pastries, fruit, etc. The breakfast room was in a nice, glass sunroom and had a lot of tables. There were also a few table outside that could be used if the weather was nice. While the breakfast room was a good size, given the size of the hotel I can imagine it can get pretty crowded at times. Management should rethink the setup of the food area, though, as it is tucked in a corner and crowd-flow is pretty tight.

So, all in all, a mixed review. The basics were fine: location, room and breakfast. Where it loses is on customer service and lack of some obvious hotel requirements like an elevator for people who need one. Given the many other lodging options nearby, I'd look elsewhere.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank BriPhilly
Thank you for sharing your experience at our Hotel. I apologize you were not able to book a handicap accessible room. We are a Historic Hotel with local significance and consist of multiple buildings on spacious grounds surrounded by amish farmland. We are a clean comfortable and great value Hotel. Without a handicap accessible room, many 1st floor rooms require a short 5 steps. Again I apologize for your inconvenience and would welcome your return in the future.
Yadkinville
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

This is an aging property in a beautiful location. We stayed here because most hotels/inns in the Lancaster area were full. We felt fortunate to have a place to stay and we had a good night's sleep. It would not be one of our choices the next time we visit.

2 Thank yadkinvalleycouple
Thank you for sharing your experience at our Hotel. I apologize our Hotel was not what you expected. We are a Historic Hotel in a unique countryside setting. We are away from bright lights and city life, and boast many fine qualities. We appreciate your business and hope that you will visit us again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Strasburg
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Lancaster East - Strasburg
Fulton Steamboat Inn
Fulton Steamboat Inn
#2 of 38 in Lancaster
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,796 reviews
Comfort Inn Lancaster - Rockvale Outlets
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lancaster (Amish Country)
Eden Resort & Suites, BW Premier Collection
La Quinta Inn & Suites Lancaster

Been to Clarion Inn Historic Strasburg Inn? Share your experiences!