“Great experience at the Memorial!”

Flight 93 National Memorial
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Stoystown
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: The memorial site dedicated to those who lost their lives on United Airlines Flight 93, September 11, 2001.
Reviewed April 5, 2014

My wife and I were in the area, so we made the 30 minute detour and it was well worth it. It was a cold, windy day - but well worth it! There is a bit of walking - but nothing to terrible. Solemn place with nice plaques/information for all to read. Thankful to be an American!!!

1  Thank Pepperdog24
Write a ReviewReviews (1,358)
All reviews
"heart wrenching"
"park ranger"
in 50 reviews

Reviewed March 26, 2014

I still remember 9/11 very vividly even though I am from the UK and was watching it live on TV as the whole thing unfolded. The brave souls that boarded Flight 93 that morning could never have guessed what awaited them but they showed collective bravery to thwart the terrorists and save even more lives. The Memorial itself is a very classy open affair of the type which American seems to excel at, it reminds me of the Vietnam Memorial in DC. It will look even better in a couple of years when all the groves of trees have matured a bit but even bow it is a very sad and moving site for those who lost their lives, saving even more lives.

2  Thank Dave T
Reviewed March 24, 2014

This was a sobering visit, but rightfully so. The field was quiet and peaceful and all "gifts" left in memory are untouched and respected.

Reviewed March 21, 2014

I had read online that this was supposed to temporary and then the NPS was in the process of making it into a permanent NP so I wasn't expecting much. I figured we would only be there for a half hour tops but we ended up staying for a little bit longer than an hour. They have those clean but terrifying outdoorsy toilets. There are no trash cans but they give you bags to take whatever trash you have home. There was construction on the new permanent structures going on at the time of our visit. There is about a 3 mile drive from PA30 to the Visitor Center Shelter. It was freezing and windy when we visited so we spent some time in the little shelter with the Ranger while my kids completed their Jr. Ranger Program. The ranger was a bit of an jerk but did answer all of our questions. I can see why the NPS sent him way out here in isolation. There is an outdoor sort of time line of the events of 9/11/2001 in relation to Flight 93. There is also a cell phone tour. Inside the tiny little shelter is a bulletin board where you can leave messages/thoughts/prayers and a guest book to express yourself as well. This is also where the ranger, passport stamp and Jr. Ranger stuff is. There is a black wall outside. Everything on the other side of the black wall is crash site and you can not cross the black wall. At the end of the black wall, about 200 yards from the shelter is a series of white panels with the victims' names on them. The white wall is along the direction that the plane approached the field. Each panel has a victim's name on it. I wish I had brought something to leave them. There are 2 spots in the black wall where you can leave stuff and then people left stuff in front of each individual panel. There were sea shells, rocks, medals, flowers, a license plate, bracelets, a model plane…. It is a very sad and solemn place to visit and you have to be very quiet and respectful. I am glad they are making a more permanent structure and exhibit because this event is very worthy of such a memorial and the history is important for us to know. I learned that the plane was actually inverted when it crashed. The concept that had the most impact for me was just the notion that the victims knew they were going to crash and then they crashed in a very isolated field without hitting anyone else. I don't think that was random. I think it was heroic and I was surprised by how much this hit me in the heart when I saw where the plane went down. If you are going to be in PA, it is worth the drive to pay respect and honor the victims.

1  Thank Amy N