“Must See”

Flight 93 National Memorial
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Stoystown
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: The memorial site dedicated to those who lost their lives on United Airlines Flight 93, September 11, 2001.
Reviewed March 24, 2014

This was a sobering visit, but rightfully so. The field was quiet and peaceful and all "gifts" left in memory are untouched and respected.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,346)

Reviewed March 21, 2014

I had read online that this was supposed to temporary and then the NPS was in the process of making it into a permanent NP so I wasn't expecting much. I figured we would only be there for a half hour tops but we ended up staying for a little bit longer than an hour. They have those clean but terrifying outdoorsy toilets. There are no trash cans but they give you bags to take whatever trash you have home. There was construction on the new permanent structures going on at the time of our visit. There is about a 3 mile drive from PA30 to the Visitor Center Shelter. It was freezing and windy when we visited so we spent some time in the little shelter with the Ranger while my kids completed their Jr. Ranger Program. The ranger was a bit of an jerk but did answer all of our questions. I can see why the NPS sent him way out here in isolation. There is an outdoor sort of time line of the events of 9/11/2001 in relation to Flight 93. There is also a cell phone tour. Inside the tiny little shelter is a bulletin board where you can leave messages/thoughts/prayers and a guest book to express yourself as well. This is also where the ranger, passport stamp and Jr. Ranger stuff is. There is a black wall outside. Everything on the other side of the black wall is crash site and you can not cross the black wall. At the end of the black wall, about 200 yards from the shelter is a series of white panels with the victims' names on them. The white wall is along the direction that the plane approached the field. Each panel has a victim's name on it. I wish I had brought something to leave them. There are 2 spots in the black wall where you can leave stuff and then people left stuff in front of each individual panel. There were sea shells, rocks, medals, flowers, a license plate, bracelets, a model plane…. It is a very sad and solemn place to visit and you have to be very quiet and respectful. I am glad they are making a more permanent structure and exhibit because this event is very worthy of such a memorial and the history is important for us to know. I learned that the plane was actually inverted when it crashed. The concept that had the most impact for me was just the notion that the victims knew they were going to crash and then they crashed in a very isolated field without hitting anyone else. I don't think that was random. I think it was heroic and I was surprised by how much this hit me in the heart when I saw where the plane went down. If you are going to be in PA, it is worth the drive to pay respect and honor the victims.

1  Thank Amy N
Reviewed February 28, 2014

My dad grew up a few miles down the street in Central City, PA by Reels Corners. We came up for my grandmothers funeral and decided to pay a visit. It wasn't complete when we were there but it was a beautiful and serene place. I'd recommend making the drive or flight, it's definitely worth seeing and paying respects to the heros of that day.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

We stopped at the memorial on the way to Pittsburgh during a snow storm. First off getting there is a snow storm is not advised given the horrible road conditions. However, the park keeps their roads fairly clean. The memorial might be something if it wasn't snowing but there wasn't much it see. In the spring a imagine you would get a better sense of what happened but it winter it is a white field. They are putting in some nice features coming this spring such as the forest of whispers.

They do not plow the walking paths during the winter so bring tall boots. They also had a ranger available to discuss what you are seeing which is an added bonus.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

Whilst in Washington DC with my grandson, I commented on how skilfully Americans design and build memorials which are appropriate to the event or persons being commemorated. This is the case with the Flight 93 National Memorial. It would have been better had there not been a need to build it but the awful tragedy which was 9/11 will be imprinted on the world’s consciousness for many generations to come and something was needed to mark the disaster in this rural part of Pennsylvania. Those brave souls on Flight 93 fought to prevent greater catastrophe and this memorial does full justice to their memory, their valour and America’s determination to ensure a free world. Only places like the war cemetery in Arnhem in Holland come close to the tranquil yet sombre atmosphere of this magnificent tribute to the passengers and crew on Flight 93. The car park is suitably distant [quarter of a mile] from the actual crash site and the walk allows one to assimilate the moving and very detailed information boards prior to continuing along the Memorial Plaza. The place has a solemnity which is tangible and the views over the debris field allow for ample contemplation whilst approaching the emotional heart of the memorial. The poignant Wall of Names is aligned with the flight path and there is a powerful gate separating the living from the place where so many died, the actual spot being marked by a large boulder. Pay your respects here and expect to come away changed. Your memories will last a lifetime…

2  Thank EximiousTraveller