“Worth a visit if you are in the Area”

Flight 93 National Memorial
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Stoystown
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: The memorial site dedicated to those who lost their lives on United Airlines Flight 93, September 11, 2001.
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Worth a visit if you are in the Area”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

As many have said, this is still a work in progress, but at the same time I'm thinking this is probably the best time to see it before the rawness of the area goes away.

It is a good half-hour off the main east/west highways so plan on an hour and a half to see it and get back to the highway you were traveling on. Right now I think you can see the site and read the materials in a half-hour, but I can also understand some folks, particularly in warmer months, could spend an hour or more contemplating its significance.

The memorial requires a sizeable walk to get to where the memorial plaza is with the names of the victims. Along the path is the debris field to your left and it is the final resting place for all of the victims. A large boulder represents where the impact zone was and where the crater was found.

To get to the memorial you drive up a windy road and I was struck by a carefully planted field of trees...there had to be a thousand trees here but they are all saplings. They were placed in rows like you see at Arlington National Cemetery and it struck me that this will be an amazing thing to see in 50 years when these trees are mature woods. And it also struck me that I won't be around to see it, and that's where the significance of this memorial strikes home. We will be remembering this act--and this site--for generations to come.

As I walked that long trail to the memorial wall, I passed many young people, none of them old enough to remember 9/11. For them, this is a history book item, and yet here they were.

I went in early November on a cold, snowflakey day. As I drove on these rural roads and then up the curvy road to the memorial, I wondered if I would be the only one here. It was a weekday and there was no particular reason to visit then.

Was I surprised. It was filled with people and buses.

It was good to see we are not forgetting.

1 Thank 3Dtravelpro

• Polish first
Houston, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Make it a priority”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

It is a lovely monument to fallen heroes. Don't miss this. It is a work in progress, but well done. Somber but beautiful.

Reisterstown, Maryland
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Flight 93 Memorial”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

My friend and I on one of our extended week-end trips decided to visit Flight 93 Memorial. It is a definite must see everyone should put on their list. It has been tastefully put together to commerate the courageous people who died to protect their country during an unprecedented terrorist attack on our nation.

Reverance and quiet mark those who come to visit. Since it is on a mountain top, I recommend that you bundle up if you visit when it's cold.

I will go again.

60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Work in progress”
Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

As many have noted, the Memorial is not complete. The day I visited, volunteers were planting groves of trees. If you visit the Web page it explains what they will come to symbolize when landscaping is complete. There is no permanent visitor center yet. There are bathrooms near the parking lot. That being said, what is done is a fitting and moving tribute. It is simple and moving and a place for families to grieve and a nation to remeber.

Carlisle, Pennsylvania
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“We can do better to honor these Hero's”
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

It is wonderful that they are preserving the resting place of these 41 persons. But after 12 years they have only completed a wall and a small parking area with pit toilets. It will probably be a nice facility when it is completed but for now it is almost embarrassing how little is available.

Visited October 2013