“Love the Changes!”

Ranked #19 of 26 Hotels in State College
Huntingdon, Pennsylvania
“Love the Changes!”
Reviewed July 22, 2010

What a difference a year can make! We just stayed at the Toftrees Resort over a weekend that the entire town is sold out of hotel rooms. After staying there last year, we vowed never to return, however we were unable to get a room at another hotel we selected, so we decided to give them another chance (we didn’t have much choice). I must admit we went into this weekend with expectations of a less than desirable stay. Our last visit presented us with run down rooms, a budget motel feel and an overall atmosphere that was horrible. Boy were we surprised! The lobby was completely different and was very welcoming (unlike the previous experience). The guest rooms were very nice… completely different from before and we obviously had a new bed (last year I felt I was going to roll off of the bed due to the wear of it to one side). We were not aware that the hotel was going to be renovated… the front desk said that they had just completed the changes in June. With the art festival, we did not have time to golf, but my husband is already planning a date to return with our clubs. Great job on the changes!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank YorkiesRock

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 18, 2010

My wife, kids (3 and 1) and I arrived at the hotel. Our room was on the third floor. THERE IS NO ELEVATOR! We had to lug everything up to our room! NO ELEVATOR!? WHAT THE HECK! WHAT IS THIS, the 1800s? It was JULY, over 90 degrees, and the stairwells are NOT air conditioned. The hallways of the hotel had a foul, FUNKY, stench about them, and out room was a sauna when we walked in because the AC had been kept off. We had to turn it on ourselves.

The pool was very nice, and it was nice to use the computer in the lobby to do a quick e-mail check our google search a couple of times. The hotel was quiet, and the bathroom had a GREAT amount of room. I LOVED that.

The toilet struggled to flush completely at all times, the matresses were pretty hard, and the breakfast at the hotel, YUCK. It was NOT good. DON'T EAT BREAKFAST THERE!

Snack bar right by the pool was nice, but a little on the expensive side. 3 cans of Pepsi a can of Arnald Palmer cost me over $8. That's a bit ridiculous. Pool-side wait staff was great to have, but WOW did that guy take FOREVER to deliver anything we ordered.

I would not stay at this hotel again. It is a shame because the pool is so large and it really is a nice location for a good hotel, but the drawbacks were just too much of a pain in the butt. Sorry.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 18, 2010

The room smelled musty. It was strange to find the exit. So many doors..not many directions. Desk staff was not helpful. When I asked for AAA discount, told that they only had one room left and that they were booked. Didn't seem like it from the parking lot.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed May 19, 2010

Between Trip Advisor & the AAA Tourbooks, we have sucessfully traveled for years....until this month! We stayed in this hotel for Penn State's graduation. Wow! Where do I begin? Let's see....the walls are paper thin, the restaurant was dirty & lacked service. How hard is it to bring coffee at a buffet? The buffet had something that was suppose to pass as scrambled eggs...but you got me! When my husband & I got into bed, his side smelled of urine & my side smelled of throw up. There was no use complaining....the town was packed for graduation. It got 3 diamonds & a recommendtion from AAA. How, I will never know! Oh, Here's the best part....we got to pay $299.00 a night for this dump!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank jzk131
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 29, 2010

I must preface this review by stating my previous review for this hotel was deleted and replaced by this one to add additional details regarding the difficulty we had with management and staff of this resort.

Stayed in January for multiple nights for a large event. Event consisted of approximately (10-15?) rooms of acquaintances. Event went smoothly, decent food, attentive room service attendants.. had a ball in the Outback bar and the staff there was great. Proximity to PSU is great if that's your reason for the stay. The rooms I stayed in and saw were not renovated. Rooms, furniture, and linens were very tired with a poorly working TV and heating/AC system. From here things go even further downhill.

I can't recommend this hotel to anybody, nor will I ever consider staying there again. It is unfortunate because the property is nice and is under renovation, and has a good golf course. The front desk staff and upper management provided the most unprofessional service and uncourteous behavior I have ever encountered. Honestly, I am astonished at how rudely the management behaved. I travel for business 40% of the work week and never have experiencedcustomer service so unprofessional.

To make a long story short, a simple issue the hotel made with a reservation led to a billing discrepancy which took 4 months to amend. This entire 4 months was spent relaying my story to multiple levels of management (unresponsive by the way), the credit card company, and eventually dragging in a third party to clear the confusion (I had to contact another guest after the hotel refused to drop the other parties chartges to my credit card!). The hotel made no attempts to appease customers when clearly they were at fault.

Lastly, and quite contradictorily, I must give credit to the front desk staff members who were attentive and active in regards to our needs during the stay and the months of follow-up phonecalls since.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family