“really damp and humid”

Toftrees Golf Resort
Ranked #17 of 26 Hotels in State College
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I received the room on the first floor, which, is like in the basement. the room smells like mildrew and mold, and the bedspread seemed underwashed. the temperature of the room is not well controlled. horrible experience, the soap in the bathroom was not exchanged for a new box, it was USED!!! agh!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Benjamin H, Manager at Toftrees Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2013

Reviewed August 10, 2012

I was traveling for work with my colleagues and picked this hotel. They were not pleased & I was embarrassed of this choice. My room was on the 1st floor (basement). The hallway had a dark, musty feel and smell. My room, looked like it hadn't been updated or touched since 1970. It was damp and musty. The dehumidifier in my room (yes the room had a dehumidifier in it) was full and the carpets felt damp. Between the abandoned musty feel in the dark hallway and dated, damp room, I seriously felt like I was staying at the hotel used for "The Shining." When I entered the black tiled bathroom with strange closet, I felt like I was in the movie "Pyscho." The staff did switch me to a 3rd floor room (there are no elevators so that was fun). Which was drier but had the same 1970 decor & feel and stale smoke smell. The blanket on my bed had weird stains. I did not complain again because I didn't think I would be able to get anything better there. What a shame, the grounds are beautiful but the hotel itself is downright creepy.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Kir4221

Thank You for taking the time to let us know about your experience here at Toftrees Resort. We appreciate your feedback and wanted to let you know we have worked diligently in the Fall to help correct the damp feel on our first floor rooms by installing new French Drains around the perimeter of the property to exhaust water away from the building. We hope that in the future you will allow us another chance to show that we are a quality Resort with many great things to offer. At the start of 2010 and into the start of 2012 we have added new Wall Vinyl and carpets to each and every wing of the spread out resort. New Televisions were added in 2011 and as we get into 2013 we look to update our bedding to a more modern feel. We hope we will have a chance to make a better impression in the future.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

The "resort" is dated and is in dire need of a new look. The onsite "steakhouse" has only two types of steaks on the menu. Both which are very over-priced. The only think that I feel was better than expected was that the AC in the room was crazy cold. We took a walk around the property but there isn't much to see.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LHunsinger
Toftrees, Director of Sales at Toftrees Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Toftrees with other travelers. We are continuously looking for ways to improve our resort and all feedback helps us do that. We do have a four star golf course along with putting green and driving range on property along with swimming pool, tennis courts, and sand volleyball courts for non golfers. We just rolled out a new menu in our restaurant and are still finalizing final menu entrees.

Reviewed July 22, 2012

Spent three nights at Toftrees to spend the weekend with friends. Our usual hotels were booked so we decided to give Toftrees a try since it has been remodeled. Rooms were clean, all of us could park our cars without a problem or fee, and it was quiet for sleeping. We were not in the rooms very much, but housekeeping was done each day when we returned. Free coffee at the down under restaurant was nice for the morning.

• Stayed: July 2012
Toftrees, Director of Sales at Toftrees Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

I am happy to hear that you had a nice stay with us at Toftrees. We hope you will consider us for your next stay in State College. We offer some great rooms that have a patio or balcony along with a microwave and refrigerator for longer stays.

Reviewed July 5, 2012 via mobile

Great course and the staff were very friendly. The course was in excellent shape.

• Stayed: June 2012
Toftrees, Director of Sales at Toftrees Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2012

I am happy to hear that you had a great day of golf on our course. We hope to see you back to Toftrees in the future. Please contact us if you have any questions about golf packages.

Reviewed June 20, 2012

My review starts with finding a needle in a haystack. Friends and I decided to spend a family weekend in State College. With four boys under 5 we needed a hotel where we could have connecting rooms and the ability to walk outside to a patio area. Our plan was to put the kids to bed then relax outside on the patios for the evening. Another requirement was that the hotel not be a dump. After calling around to the normal national brands I called Toftrees we were sold. The person that took the reservation guaranteed us what we wanted and even gave me the room number. We were put into rooms at the end of a row were we would have privacy and safety. The room was comfortable and up to date. The only bad part of the trip was something that the hotel had no control over. Due to the very cool weather the pool was chilly but not unbearable.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank kmq102
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Toftrees with others. We are continuously looking for ways to better our resort and the experience of others. We do offer many patio and balcony rooms which gives you the chance to lounge outside and enjoy the scenic views around the property. We also offer some suites which would give more indoor space for families. We would love to have your family back to the resort in the future.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

We were in State College for a Regional Volleyball tournament and had the good luck to have our club book Toftrees. The last time I was there was in 1995 when I was pregnant with my son. SO much has changed here - what a wonderful experience my family had! I'd read the reviews and was apprehensive. No bellman? Wrong! THE friendliest, most welcoming staff, including a bellman, Scott, who couldn't have been more helpful with luggage, Qs about resort, campus. Front desk staff, in a word, SUPERB. Really. THEY DID A LOAD OF WASH FOR ME! Thank you Erika, Lindsay & Tim, who were incredibly professional and went to so much trouble, despite a demanding hoarde of VB players. Lindsay helped with ordering food for hospitality suite we got, and Erika - the best! Housekeeping was unobtrusive & accomodating (Janice was so nice to my youngest daughter -TY!). Karen & Melissa at the Steak House were outstanding. I could go on and on. Upgraded rooms - brand new mattresses, carpets, microwave & fridge in room. Really great for families. I would go back in a sec and I am a bedbug phobic, picky guest. Stayed at former Ritz in Barcelona w my son - this was a better hotel experience. They certainly hire he MOST attentive staff ever.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 223 - QUIET, balcony, refirigerator, microwave, brand new mattresses, furniture &a...