$79
  • Restaurant
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of $91/night.

Sleep Inn(State College)(Great Value!)
$72
SleepInn
Quality Inn(State College)(Great Value!)
$71
QualityInn
Hilton Garden Inn State College(State College)(Great Value!)
$124
$107
GardenInn.com
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of $126/night.

Comfort Suites Penn State(State College)(Great Value!)
$89
$85
ComfortSuites
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of $96/night.

$118
Country Inn
Days Inn by Wyndham Penn State(State College)(Great Value!)
$104
$99
$92
HIExpress.com
Hampton Inn State College(State College)(Great Value!)
$93
Savings alert! 14% below average rates

The price you found is 14% lower than this hotel's average rate of $108/night.

Best Western Plus University Park Inn & Suites(State College)(Great Value!)
$107
$93
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of $110/night.

All reviewsgolf coursefield restaurantpro shopround of golfgolf weekendpenn statebeautiful propertymy sonfront desk staffparking lotone night stayhappy valleyweddingtenniseventconferencereunion
Reviewed October 25, 2011

I stayed one night for a concert during Parents Weekend. I asked for a quiet room - which I got and was very pleased with my stay.

I did not have time to explore much, but the grounds I saw were beautiful. The pool was closed (October weather). People were still golfing though!

Our room - because I requested quiet - was one floor up behind the check in desk. There was no elevator I saw, but that was no problem. It was only one floor up. The only downfall I had all weekend was the stairwell did have a strong musty odor - but we were in them for what, one minute? Not enough to trash the place in my review.

The halls were clean. The room was very clean and roomy. The beds were a little hard. I slept great (it was a late night after the concert). My adult daughter didn't sleep as well due to the hard bed. Our other friend did not sleep as well either - but her problem was the pillow. She did not bring her own (I always do) and she was not used to them. She had no problem with the bed.

Breakfast: We received two passes to breakfast - kind of stupid since we had 3 people. So the third person had to pay $10 for the breakfast. (Now that I think about it I just should have asked for a third and see what happened - but I was distracted with excitement at check in and didn't think of it then. After all we had third row seats to Zac Brown concert!) The breakfast was very good. Good coffee. They have wait staff that bring you your drinks - but watch out - they charge you for drinks. They have an omlette station where you get an omlette made right in front of you - an it doesn't take long at all. then the normal stuff: french toast, homefries, sausage, bacon, fruits, toast, danish etc. All you can eat. Good food. We were very pleased. They do have a few thermoses of self serve coffee on the bar area that you can help yourself and take it to your room or - like I did - to the car for our ride home.

Lobby: It is very pretty. They had cookies and I think coffee and lemonade out. The staff at the desk are VERY helpful. They explain the basics well and are right there with any questions you have. They are extremely pleasant and I like that.

Toftrees is extremely close to the Stadium for football games. I did hear people asking for the shuttle - so I believe they have a shuttle to the game. I don't recommend driving to the game. We were leaving when everyone else was going towards the stadium and it appeared to have very large traffic jams. Not too many roads into the stadium area. For our concert we absolutely did not have any problem - the crowd was less numerous than for a football game. It's only about an 11 minute drive.

State College is in very beautiful and hilly country. A lovely drive.

I was pleased and would stay there again.

The thing you have to remember and maybe this is why there are some bad reviews. ALL of the hotels in the area - because Penn State football is SO HUGE - they ALL hike up the prices during the events. They have "Event Pricing". This is not just Toftrees, but ALL of the hotels. What are you going to do to stay close though? I did find a cheaper hotel ($120 a night - but it was 1 1/2 hours away from the stadium!) So expect this and you will be just fine. Of course, I did look last minute. I am sure that the father out you book your rooms, the better deals you can get.

So spend a little $ and stay close. It's worth it.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 24, 2011

Lovely, quiet and calm area, but an entirely disappointing and dated hotel. This place desperately needs a serious overhaul. The grounds and the lobby, though nicely kept and clean can't hide the fact that this hotel is long past its prime and stinks of budget. This is no resort, my friend. One does not come here for an escape or to relax.

Toftrees hotel has three floors, and no elevator to speak of. Hallways reeking of cologne or some type of heavy air deodorizer that was so strong and heavy and very off-putting. The whole place and interior is very dated, and the decor, especially the bathrooms are extremely budget and strange. Our room on the 3rd floor, had a large bleach suspect stain directly outside the door to our room.

Bizarre design elements - rooms on the third floor offered their only closet to be located inside the bathrooms, which was a very bizarre design element; no luggage space, and virtually no space to hang towels, dated big box televisions also, are always a tell-tale sign that the hotel needs a makeover.

On-site restaurant was also very sub-par and the breakfast buffet (even with an omelet station) - left much to be desired. If you stay here, skip this place and head to American Ale house just down the street.

Also, an interior decor lesson to all - never, ever tile an interior room, specifically, bathrooms with large square shiny BLACK tile. It's mental hospital meets dive bar bathroom. Awful.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Catou
Reviewed October 23, 2011

Very nice golf course, very friendly staff. Hotel is clean, decor is a bit tired. Bulging spot on the ceiling from a prior water leak. Breakfast buffet was OK, not great. Location is great.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 26, 2011

We were in town for a Saturday football game and the place was depressing. It smelled musty and had a dank feel. The room had a superlow ceiling, like a yukky basement apartment. It was pricey, close to $275 with taxes and fees. I realize there are limited rooms in the area but a cheaper chain for less money would be a similar hotel experience.
There was a lot of noise in the hall outside our door from an elevator or ice machine something that added to the overall poor experience.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank amypq
Reviewed September 14, 2011

had a nice clean room, no great views but a beautiful area. staff was polite and helpful.free breakfast buffet was a plus.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family