“Not a 4-star Conference Center, but adequate”

Ramada State College Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #23 of 26 Hotels in State College
Pennsylvania
“Not a 4-star Conference Center, but adequate”
Reviewed May 28, 2007

I was concerned about the Ramada Conference Center after reading reviews here, but when an employer books you for a conference, you don't have much say in where it is. I have attended many conferences in the Penn State area, but never at the Ramada before. I will start by saying that this does not have the charm of the Nittany Lion Inn, or the new, modern amenities of the Penn Stater. It is an older motel
-style building, trying to continue to provide facilites and lodging for conferences that cannot/do not want to pay for the other conference center hotels in the area. The exterior corridors were not
a problem in May, but could be a problem attending conferences in the middle of winter. The "Atrium" rooms would have made me claustrophobic, but when they attempted to assign me a room there, I requested a switch at the desk and it was made. The Atrium rooms have doors and windows onto an enclosed Atruim, which contains a pool, conference/buffet facilites and such. I found the Atrium noisy (we had our luncheons there). Newer conference center hotels have smaller lap-pools in seperate areas, not exposed for all to see in an
atrium. I can see where if there were rowdy people in the pool, it would echo throughout the Atrium.

The conference ballrooms were new, modern, and the correct temperature.

My individual room was perfectly adequate for my stay. It was clean, and the ususal soap, shampoo, coffee, hairdryer, and iron were provided. No refridgerator, though. It was warm when I arrived, but I
found the individual A/C controls and set them. When I returned, the room was comfortable.

I did not eat in the restaurant, I did eat the lunches that were included with the conference - and they were suprisingly good.

So, overall, it was perfectly fine. Not lavish luxury. But not a flop
-house at the shore, either.

• Liked — State College Location
  • Disliked — Not walking distance to campus
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank auroraarielella
managersc, Manager at Ramada State College Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, June 1, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I appreciate you pointing out the difference between the competition, we are an older hotel, but do offer more attractive pricing than other conference center hotels in the area.

As for the pool area, we elected to construct a large pool, as opposed to an indoor lap pool that you might see at other limited service hotels, to give our guests the opportunity to really swim and enjoy themselves. While some guests may not enjoy the atrium rooms due to elevated noise levels, we do close the pool at 10PM, so all guests may get adequate rest. As you stated, we can also easily accommodate guests in exterior rooms and interior conference center rooms, if one prefers not to be located in the atrium.

I will pass along the compliments to our food and beverage staff regarding the catered meals, we work very diligently to provide all of our guests with the best experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Korean first
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
Reviewed April 10, 2007

I was speaking at a conference held at this hotel, which has a conference center attached to it. Admittedly, I was not expecting much from a Ramada Inn except basic motel facilites. I was first placed in a room directly adjacent to the indoor pool. The door of the room was literally 12 feet from the pool, which was full of adult
men loudly playing some sort of game of tag. The room had no windows other than the large picture window next to the door that faced directly to the pool a few feet away. With the curtain closed, it was
pitch black. After waiting at the front desk for several miutes, the clerk appeared. I asked for a new room not near the pool and with a window to the outside. He obliged, but seemed astounded I did not want to be right beside the pool. As I opened the door to this second
room, I was greeted by a blast of hot air. The heat was on 85 despite
the pleasant, unseasonably warm 70 degree weather. I turned off the heat, and attempted to turn on the A/C. It did not work. I called the
front desk, and they promised to send the engineer to fix it. About an hour later, no repairman had appeared. As I was leaving for dinner, I stopped at the desk and again asked that the A/C be fixed, since it was incredibly hot in the room. The clerk said he would get right on it. Upon returning from dinner, I entered the room and the A/C was working. However, the electrical smell was overpowering. I figured it would go away after a while. After an hour, the smell was still pouring from the A/C unit and I called the desck again to change rooms. The clerk said he would meet me at the new room with the key. I went to the new room and waited with my luggage for 20 minutes. No clerk. Finally, I slepped my luggage back to the front desk (which involved a long walk across a parking lot). The clerk handed me the key to the room and seemed to have forgotten that he was supposed to meet me at the room. This final room was adequate and had no problems. However, I was astounded by the inattentive staff, the constant wait for a desk clerk to appear at the front desk even in the middle of the day, etc. Stay somewhere else is my advice.

• Liked — Not much of anything
  • Disliked — poor staff, poorly maintained rooms.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank paradoxcapt
I apologize for your subpar stay with us. Your complaint validates the importance of training all employees to follow through on all customer complaints. Our hotel staff recently completed a new customer service training program, and I will use your experience to demonstrate what happens when employees do not follow up on customer problems.

I hope you will give us a chance again in the future.

Travelers are raving about these State College hotels

DC
Reviewed January 3, 2007

Tiny room, not quite what was expected based on website.
Pubic hair on the toilet and bathroom floor was disgusting!
Noise from staff after 11:00pm banging tables around (our room was near storage closet).
Guests should have warning before booking when atrium is booked for noisy events (wrestling group was very noisy).

• Liked — checking out
  • Disliked — pubic hair
  • Tips/Secrets — try another place
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DcTimmay
managersc, Manager at Ramada State College Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, April 20, 2009
I am sorry for your less than desireable stay with us. Our atrium is sometimes booked for events, and we usually have signs posted at the desk, as well as telling guest at check-in, however based on your posting, it appears you were not notified. Additionally, we conclude events by 10PM, in order to not distrub our other hotel guests.

As for the housekeeping issues, we have addressed these issues and I do apologize as this is not our standards. I hope you will return in the future.
Warren, MI
Reviewed August 26, 2006

I came to State College to visit my son who is starting his first year of graduate school at Penn State. The room was not very clean but I stayed because I had just come off of an 8 hour drive from Michigan. The remote from the tv did not work. I had an outside room which I should have refused, as I am always told for safety to get a room with an inside entrace. Turns out that is good advice because the next morning about 7am someone tried to get into my room. The handle was repeatedly turned and the door pushed upon. I called the manager, which was not easy because the phone did not work properly. When I told her that someone was trying to get into my room she did not seem concerned at all and assured me that it wasn't the cleaning staff. I immediately left. They did not make me pay for the night and they did offer a free night's stay the next time I was in town. No thanks - I would not stay if they paid me. I went down the road to the Comfort Inn and stayed two nights and it was great. Very clean rooms, courteous staff, free breakfast and most importantly, I felt safe. I would give Ramada Inn 0 Stars if that was a choice.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Unsafe, dirty, tv remote and phone did not function properly
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay here.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
1 Thank pennstatemom
I apologize for someone attempting to gain access to your room. The keys are coded to protect you, whether, it's an inside room or outside room. It is true, that sometimes staff accidently enters a room, as they may think the room is already checked out, or the room is coded to check out in the system. Our hotel offers interior and exterior guest rooms, which is clearly marked on our website, which enables the guests their preference. I will also review with our other managers how to be more sympathetic and understanding. Unfortunately, TV remote batteries are something that we cannot predict on when they will fail, although, we do have our housekeepers check on a daily basis.
Rancho Cucamonga, California
Reviewed July 25, 2006

My son and I needed to stay one night at a hotel in State College so that he could attend meetings early the next morning at Penn State University. We chose this Ramada because it was middle of the road and had decent reviews. Check-in went smoothly. I did have trouble locating our room because some of the rooms are down walkways rather than facing the parking lot. We had to get out of the car to locate our room. On first glance, the hotel room was decent--nothing special. Since we were only staying out of necessity for one night it didn't matter much to us. After we settled in, I took a tour of the hotel. The hotel had an indoor pool and hot tub--one of the reasons I chose it, but there was a children's birthday party there so we did not use it. The pool area wasn't too clean and was attached to an atrium that didn't look like it received much use. The lobby area was clean and well decorated and contained a trophy case with Penn State memorabilia. There were cookies in a basket on the check-in desk. I took two but the look the clerk gave me made me uncomfortable so I went back to my room.

Around midnight, my son was watching TV and I asked him to shut the light. A few minutes later, he woke me up and pointed toward the ceiling. Crawling across the ceiling towards the bed was a bug. We immediately turned the light back on and the bug stopped crawling. I started looking around and sure enough another bug was on the ceiling over my bed. I took a glass, stood up on the bed and caught one of the bugs. I did not recognize what type of bug it was--definitely not a regular house pest like a fly or a spider. As my son and I were trying to decide what to do, I looked down and a huge bug was scooting across the rug. This bug did not look like the bugs on the ceiling--this bug was huge. One bug--maybe, two bugs--pushing it, three bugs--I am so out of there! Before leaving the room, my son took pictures of both the bug on the ceiling and the bug scooting across the floor. While I was looking for bugs in the room, I noticed that the room was actually quite dirty with cobwebs in the corners.

I went to the lobby and told the clerk who immediately refunded my money. This was all well and good, but it was past midnight, we were in a strange town and now we had to get a new room. By the time my son and I settled into a new hotel, checked the room fanatically for bugs and fell asleep we managed about 2 hours of sleep before having to go to his meeting.

I did write the hotel after returning home and received a letter from their exterminator stating that the bugs were weevils. I wasn't really satisfied with that since I know that the bugs on the ceiling and the bug on the floor were not the same type. Also, I don't really care what kind of bugs they were because they were in my room and could just as easily found their way to my bed. Needless to say, I would never recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed June 2006
4 Thank psu2010
Thank you for comments regarding your stay with us. As for the indoor pool, we do have children's birthday parties on Sunday afternoon's only, and we limit the # of kids to 15. Addditionally, the pool is open to other hotel guests, as well, and our pool is very large. I am sorry that you did not feel our pool was very clean..we clean it daily, as well as test the water weekly to ensure all safety standards are adhered to.

It seems that your largest complaint was the bugs, which the exterminator looked in the room and the only type of bug found was a weevil, which is a type of bettle. Unfortunately, bugs can be transmitted to guest rooms, especially in the summertime through open doors, as well as being on items that guest bring into the rooms. Again, please accept our apologies, but the bug had nothing to do with the cleanliness of our facility.
Reviewed January 15, 2006

I stayed at the Ramada for several days of skiing up at Tussey Mountain in State College PA. The hotel was hyped a "gold key" rated property...whatever that means. The hotel was relatively cheap, I spent $74 for the first night and $64 the next, but all hotels in the area were inexpensive compared to NY or DC. Overall the hotel was ok, it wasnt terrible but wasnt that great either. This would be a hotel to stay at if you really wanted to save money and didnt care where you slept. The hotel has a strange set up, with some rooms inside the hotel (per traditional) and the majority set around the outside...so you can drive up to the door of your room "motel" style. The room we had was "motel style" and had a thin window which let a lot of cold air in and you could hear everything going on outside, from cars to clicks of shoes of people walking by. The rooms were clean, but I found hair on my pillow and sheets and questioned if the sheets were actually changed. The indoor pool is strange...it is in the middle of a large function room and there were pieces of exercise equipment around it. Even weirder there were rooms looking down onto it and it was ok to BYOB and smoke poolside. Another large problem was parking. There was a function going on at the hotel and parking became hard to come by. I returned to the hotel to find that I couldnt park near the hotel nevermind my room.

Like I said before, the hotel was mediocre or average at best and really a place to stay at if you are looking to save a couple of dollars and not sleep in your car. If you want to spend $20 more...look at the Hiton or marriot up the street. Check out my pictures too...

• Stayed January 2006
10 Thank Suffred
Thank you for your response. We have been upgrading our guest rooms to include new bedding, carpeting, drapes, and linens. Our hotel is quite large 284 guest rooms, and we offer ample parking for our guests..over 350 spots. However, sometimes parking is not available close to your room, however, this is still more convenient than having to pay for parking, or use a garage if you were at a downtown property.

The hotel offers interior and exterior rooms, so please specify when making reservations..many discount rates are not applicable for the interior rooms, so please verify before reserving.

Smoking is now prohibited in all of our public areas, and the rooms that overlook our pool, are often requested by our guests, as they provide a tropical atmosphere, and families like the close location to the indoor pool.

We hope you will return again and stay with us.