“Don't stay where the visiting sports teams stay”

Ramada State College Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #23 of 26 Hotels in State College
Reviewed November 17, 2008

Football weekend at PSU. The greatest show in college football, or so they say when you are sitting with 107,000 of your closest and dearest friends. The beds were soft, desperately in need of replacement. The sink and toilet are the appropriate height for a 6 year old. The refrigerator froze our food. The microwave burnt half the popcorn, and didn't pop the other half. The restaurant is full of rock and roll, movie, and sports memorabilia. But, order an omelet in the restaurant . . . make sure that you tell them to cook the ingredients, because you may get raw onions and raw mushrooms. The staff in the restaurant set out the silverware by handling the eating surfaces. The coffee maker in our room didn't work. This seems to be the only hotel in the State College area that will charge you for a cup of coffee in the lobby. We told the front desk agent about some of these problems: Her response was 'I'll make a note of it.' No appology, no offer to call the manager on duty. no offer of compensation.

This was the only hotel left in State College with rooms available on a football weekend, and they know it. They charge more than the new, modern, upscale hotels, and they certainly don't deliver the value and quality that Ramada promises.

I'll drive to Altoona for a hotel room before I stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
managersc, Manager at Ramada State College Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2009

Please accept our apology for the delay in responding to this review, as we have just set up our account to respond to guests. Your concerns have been addressed in correspondence that we sent you on November 18th, 2008, however, I wanted to respond to your comments:

As for your comment regarding rates, we are not the most expensive in town. Some of the other hotels are substantially more expensive than our full service hotel. Additionally, we work very hard to keep rates reasonable for these weekends, and we urge anyone to compare our hotel rates against others for the same football weekend. There are hotels that are less expensive, however they do not offer the wide array of amenities and services that are hotel has to offer.

The hotel replaced all mattresses with Serta Concierge Plush" firm mattresses" in 2006. When we inspected this mattress, which is a highly recommended mattress in the hospitality business, we are assuming that the softness that you referred to was the quited mattress pad.

As for the restaurant, I can only state that this is not our standards, and I apologize for any sub standard service. P.J. Harrigan's prides itself on great food and great service, however, I have passed along your comments, as they were not previously noted in your original complaint.

The microfridge was inspected upon your check out and was found to be in working order, however, the coffee maker was found to have a slower drip process, and we have since replaced that item. The coffee service for sale in the lobby is part of a "grab and go" service that offers an upgraded coffee, Seattle' Best, as well as pastry, fruit, and yogurt.

It is our intent to do our personal best with each guest encounter, and we will strive to improve our service.

Reviewed October 4, 2008

I wish we would have checked trip advisors prior to booking this room. First room had such a foul odor of cig. smoke with ashes still in the ash tray. We complained and were switched to another room. This room was so dirty. A piece of donut on the floor, papers, strings (obviously not vaccuumed!!) The bathroom floor and tub had quiet a bit of hair on it and th toiled a ring. Never ever stay here!!!! Hampton Inn not far from here was nice.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Please accept my aplologies for the substandard housekeeping service you received during your stay. This is not our standards, as we rented nearly 60,000 rooms in 2008. I hope you will give us another opportunity in the future.

Reviewed August 29, 2008

Even the nice front desk staff couldn't make up for this miserable hotel experience. I don't know where to start -- dirty toilet bowl, empty soap wrapper on the floor, hair in the sink, NO WINDOWS in my second floor room, a couple 40 watt bulbs, NO ELEVATOR (I don't mean broken, I mean NO elevator -- What is this -- 1950?), dirty parking lot. I can't imagine anyone but the local college kids enjoying a stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Unfortunately, our hotel was built in the 60's, so we do not have an elevator in one of the buildings. However, there is an elevator in the "main building", but the hotel is only two stories. Just in the past ten years, we have put ten million dollars in the facility, however, when we created more interior guest rooms, we could not put windows in these rooms due to local code restrictions/fire safety regulations. The hotel does offer exterior rooms with windows, atrium rooms that overlook the pool (also with windows), and the conference center rooms, which do not have windows, but offer privacy.

I apologize for the housekeeping issues and we will use your comments to improve our service. Your comments on guest room lighting are noted, and we have started installing more efficient guest room bulbs in the guest rooms.

Reviewed August 26, 2008

We needed a room in anticipation of moving our son into his Penn State dorm in August 2008, and although we tried to book a room in April, the reasonably priced places that we called were booked.. We settled on the Ramada despite the mixed reviews because it was available, and we hoped that because it was a Ramada it would be OK..

Check in was fast, and the desk personnel were courteous.

The elevator was old, and the chipped door paint had been painted over. As we walked down the second floor interior hallway toward our room, we saw that the hallway side of each room was a glass wall up to each doorway.. Our room had two double beds, and was clean but dark, but needed to be re-done. The room included a microwave, refrigerator, a nightlight, and a coffee maker. The bathroom was separated from the rest of the room by a wall, and the sink was outside of the toilet and shower area. The bathroom picture on some of the sites was not like the one that we had.

We slept on the inner bed, and there was very little room between the bed and the inner wall The mattress was so close to the table between the beds that the table lip actually extended somewhat over the mattress.

Apparently the owners did not want to spend the money to have an electrician install additional wall sockets between the beds, and so the lights between the beds, clock radio, and computer connection were plugged into the kind of inexpensive power cord which one might buy at Staples for a computer.

The biggest negative was that because the glass wall faced the indoor hallway, we did not have a window in the room. As a result, we not only had to keep the curtain drawn at all times, but because of the flourescent light in the hall, when we turned out the lights, the room remained partially lit. We tried keeping the curtain shut tight to the door by pushing a chair against it, but because the light was directly by our door, we were only able to reduce the amount of light which filtered into the room. We did sleep well, and the temperature control was quiet and effective.

When we returned to our room on our second day, our room key cards did not work. The check in clerk had only validated the cards for one day. I went down to the front desk, and the cards were re-programmed.

Most other motels clearly mark on the room cards or in the hallways where the ice machine is, or, the machine is next to the vending. The ice machines were not next to the vending, there was no marking, and so I had to go to the front desk to get ice. The desk person was very nice and as she filled my ice bucket, she showed me on the map where the ice machine was. It was in an exterior hallway some distance away, and when I went there at a later time, since there were no markings, I only found it because of the directions that the desk person had provided. On the way to the ice machine I saw that each of the outside rooms also had a glass wall facing the exterior walkway.

The indoor pool is very nice, and I saw some families with young children who were enjoying themselves. There is also a whirlpool. There is also a business center with two computers and a networked printer overlooking the pool. I did not use the fax machine, but the business center had one.

There is a restaurant in the motel, and apparently because of the restaurant, the motel does not maintain free lobby coffee, or fruit, and there was certainly no continental breakfast. At check in they do provide you with a 10% discount coupon good for one dinner entree at the restaurant.

We have stayed at a number of the motels in the area, and as I am writing this review, the Ramada is rated 18th out of 22 in the area. While some of the hotels are much more expensive, and so not in the same league, for the reasons previously noted, we rate this motel in the lower tier.

Due to the room lighting, dark colors in the room, closed in feeling, and overall need for refurbishing, we will not be returning to the Ramada.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
managersc, Manager at Ramada State College Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2009

Please accept my aplogies for the delay in response, but I have just set up our manager response in the last few weeks.

First of all, I would like to thank you for your compliements on our staff as well as pointing out some of the nice features of our hotel such as the indoor pool, which many families, and adults do enjoy.

As for the rates, our hotel is very competively priced and rates increase substantailly for Penn State student move-in. I checked rates for the same weekend this year, and our hotel is ranked third lowest for Student Move-in of those hotels in State College according to one of the major websites.

The hotel does not offer free coffee as all of the rooms have complimentary coffee makers in the guest room and we offer an upgraded coffee service and grab -n-go option in the lobby. Since we are a full service hotel that offers an on-site restaurant and lounge, PJ Harrigan's, we do not offer a free continental. Although, I urge individuals to consider the differences in rates, as well as services between full service and limited service hotels.

We are upgrading our lighting in the guest rooms, and I am sorry you did not prefer our atrium room. The hotel was the first major hotel in the market, and it does have features such as small elevator, but our owners have put $11 million dollars into the hotel over the past decade. We hope you will give us the opportunity to provide you accommodations in the future.

Reviewed August 25, 2008

Recently stayed at the Ramada in State College. Very clean. I was satisfied and would stay again. Loved the two swimming pools. Hair dryer in room didn't work, but that was minor.

Stayed: August 2008

Thank you for your compliments and we look forward to your return stay with us. I apologize for the hair dryer not working, but appreciate you informing us of this issue.

Reviewed March 27, 2008

On March 26th & 27th, I was in State College on business for the filming of CNBC's Mad Money with Jim Cramer. Having stayed at Ramada Inn's in the past with mixed results, I was not sure what to expect.

I must say that this Ramada Inn may be one of the Best in the country. While the building is older and some rooms face outside (outside entry), the facility (lobby, Pool, and Room) was very well maintained.

My room was adequate for my stay. It was very clean and had most of the features of a business-class hotel room. A nice firm bed and updated shower with curved curtain rod, etc.

The Internet Access worked well. It was easy to connect. My email worked and I had no problem connecting back to my corporate office.

Before leaving, we had lunch at PJ (or TJ) Harrigan's (on-site restaurant). The Restaurant has an impressive collection of local sports memorabilia. The food and service was great.

After reading some comments on this site, I felt that I should write a review to share my experience. In my opinion, this hotel is very well managed and a good value for State College, PA.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank TravelNak
managersc, Manager at Ramada State College Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2009

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others reviewing this site. I am glad that you had the opportunity to visit P.J. Harrigan's and appreciate your fair assessment of our hotel. We look forward to your return with us.

Reviewed September 16, 2007

This is a great hotel! They know exactly what you want!
Good food at PJ Harrigans, right inside the hotel!

Stayed: September 2007

Thank you for your comments. I am glad that we were able to exceed your expectations.