“Very disappointing”

Ranked #23 of 26 Hotels in State College
Erie
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Chose hotel because of favorable ratings, affordable price and it had a hot tub. Room was small. Two dresser drawers for five people...really? Housekeeping came at inconvenient times and then barely cleaned. Hot tub wasn't hot. Very disappointing! Could have spent half of what we did for a budget hotel experience!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Ramada

JBS1234, Director of Sales at Ramada State College Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear Richard, thank you for taking the time to make us aware of some issues regarding your stay. I do apologize that you were not able to enjoy yourself. If you would like to further discuss your stay please contact me at 814-238-3001. I would be happy to look into the times that housekeeping came to service the room. Please feel free to call me.

Jennifer Brooks-Stahl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Korean first
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was busy with a lot of traveling families and children attending a wrestling camp. I was concerned that it would be noisy but it was not. There is a nice indoor pool and hot tub. My king room was comfortable and met my needs. My only concern was the loud fan on the air conditioning unit. My room had an outside entrance, not my favorite. I recommend asking for an interior room.

• Stayed July 2013
Greetings, I thank you for sharing your experience with other Trip Advisor members. I am thrilled that you found us to offer a great value, as we are one of the less expensive options in beautiful Happy Valley. We are also just a short drive from downtown and the Penn State Campus.

Please contact us for any future needs, we look forward to your return stay!
Bridgeport, Connecticut
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The Ramada State College Hotel and Conference Center is a full-service hotel with once-outside rooms which have been enclosed with inside hallways arranged around a conference center. The result is that the rooms off the well-lit and decorated inside corridors have no windows!

It's like having an inside room on a ship.

My room was totally comfortable featuring quality furnishings and fine bedding, but I felt that some sort of design feature -- a mirror or perhaps a large painting or graphic of an outdoor scene -- would provide some suggestion of the outdoors to relieve the eerie sense of claustrophobia and disconnection.

The restaurant had an ample breakfast and overall I felt comfortable, safe, and attended to during my brief stay. I just had that nasty sense that something good or bad could be happening outside and I'd be unaware of it. It was a gnawing feeling of feeling cooped up, even though everything in the room was fine, comfortable, and worked well.

Room Tip: You have a choice: inside rooms with inside corridors, or outside rooms accessible from the outside...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
JBS1234, Director of Sales at Ramada State College Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Good Afternoon Doug, I thank you for taking the time to share your review. I do apologize that you were not able to enjoy your stay as we anticipated. It is true that we do offer both interior and exterior rooms, our exterior rooms do have windows to the outside. If you are ever in need of future accommodations, I would be happy to assign you to an exterior room.

I am thrilled that you were able to enjoy the comfort of the room and the breakfast buffet provided by our onsite restaurant P.J. Harrigans. Please visit us again in the near future!

Medford
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stayed at the Ramada for 3 nights for a family wedding. The first room we were given had no access to the outside (no windows) except for the door that opened on to the indoor pool. We changed rooms to a room with a door to the outside. It was OK except that the toilet seat had obviously not been cleaned before our arrival. I spoke with the maid the next morning and she took care of it. However, the next day we were in our room until time to go to the wedding so had the "Do Not Disturb" sign up. We took it down when we left. When we got back the room had not been cleaned or otherwise serviced, There was a message from housekeeping saying that we had our sign up so they weren't going to do the room. The message came in 1/2 hour after we had left. I would have put that down to miscommunication but I got irritated when I mentioned it not once but twice to the front desk and no apology or even acknowledgement of the problem came from them.

The complex also has several blocks of rooms with no windows at all. They have solid doors that open on to a closed corridor space. If being in a closed box is a problem for someone (like me) they should check the room before taking it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Ramada

1 Thank Lydia G
JBS1234, Director of Sales at Ramada State College Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Hello Lydia, thank you for taking the time to share your review. I apologize that you did not enjoy your stay, should you visit us in the future I would be happy to upgrade you to one of our suites at no additional cost.

As for the no windows in the Atrium, that area used to be an outside Atrium. When we did renovations we decided to enclose that area, but the rooms still do have windows that overlook the pool. We do have a very unique property in that we offer both interior and exterior rooms, interior rooms with and without windows, and exterior rooms with windows.

I apologize for the inconsistencies you encountered with our maid service. I hope that when you mentioned this to the Front Desk that they offered clean amenities for your room? If you would provide me with your name or room number and what time you called the desk I can further investigate the situation.

Please feel free to call me at 814-238-3001
Kind Regards,

Travelers are raving about these State College hotels

Dunmore, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 17, 2013

For the price you pay to stay for game weekends I think this is the best. Especially because it has a bar and restaurant inside. The restaurant for breakfast is perfect because we all know being downtown for breakfast can take a while to get in somewhere to eat on game weekends. Its dated but fine for what you need it for. Sleep and shower.also, I like how they do the reservations and you just go to their website and click packages to get to the game day reservations. If you join wyndam, you get points with each stay and can earn free nights.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Greetings, I thank you for taking the time to share your review. I appreciate your kind comments regarding our property and I am pleased that you enjoyed the restaurant and Breakfast buffet. If you should stop into our restaurant P.J. Harrigans in the near future, be sure to check out our new menu items.