“Hotel With Heart”

Ramada State College Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #23 of 26 Hotels in State College
Reviewed August 7, 2011

I moved to State College from across the country, and arrived to the town without first being able to secure an apartment. The hotel was aware of my situation and bent over backwards to accommodate me as I searched for a place. Of all the hotels I'd made an attempt to book, this was the only one flexible and willing to work with my tenuous schedule. I would recommend this Ramada, and particularly its staff, to anyone visiting State College.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank tatiad
JBS1234, Director of Sales at Ramada State College Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2013

Greetings, thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am so delighted that our staff treated you with such kindness, we definitely have a great staff working beside us. I will share your kind words with everyone!

Thanks again,

Reviewed August 5, 2011

The hotel was busy with groups and conferences but the Front desk staff was very nice. All our questions were answered and they were helpful with directions and with things to do with kids in State College.

2  Thank avr1321

Greetings, thank you for posting such a great review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay while with us. I will pass on the positive comments to my staff.

Reviewed July 28, 2011

When we arrived a wrestling camp was in session. The temperature was 103 and the indoor pool area smelled of overworked young bodies and mold. The first room we were given was just off of this area and the only "window" looked out on the adjoining corridor. The second room was next to the laundry and had such a strong mildew smell we had to refuse it. The third room was acceptable it at least had an outside window. The conference center is loosely connected by open corridors which as the evening went on became outside party areas for the many families and groups of kids staying at the hotel. Some of the rooms have no windows at all just curtains covering cinder block walls. The front desk staff on Friday when we checked in were less that helpful.
In their defense, the front desk staff on Sunday at check out were very helpful and the meeting rooms and food for the conference were more than adequate. The air-conditioning kept up to the heat and the evening banquet was excellent.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to share your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed some aspects of your stay such as the banquet menu. I apologize for the many less than impressive issues you encountered. It is true that we are a Conference hotel in that we host many events and functions such as a wrestling camp for two weeks in the summer. When we enclosed our Atrium area man years ago, the fire code did not allow for windows, hence why our interior rooms do not have them. We would love to have you back if you would consider giving us another chance.

Reviewed July 27, 2011

Although the room had some hotel extras such as shampoo etc. Over all the room had a strong bleach smell that came from the sheets, horrible yellow pillows and the best was the underwear behind the bathroom door to which the front desk said "EWEE"
Move on to find another place.
Breakfast was nice if you got there first thing, in an hour most was gone and not replaced.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family

Greetings, thank you for taking the time to bring some issues to our attention. Your comments validate the importance of having an understanding, caring, and compassionate staff. I apologize for the lack of service you encountered and I would love for a chance to make it up to you. Our guest rooms have since been updated, as well as a lounge expansion. We would love to show you our improvements.

Reviewed July 18, 2011

Looks like a motel, but the rooms are pretty nice inside. The Ramada has a tiny weight room, a game room for the kids, and an indoor and outdoor pool. $149 a night is a little steep, but the price could have been because it was Arts Fest weekend.
Very comfortable beds with lots of pillows.
Advice to people staying here... get a Atrium room. It's much more quiet than the rooms on the outside of the hotel, which are right on the main road.
The breakfast buffet is a cheap option for under $8 a person, but don't expect anything fancy. Bacon, sausage, french toast, eggs, oatmeal, toast, etc.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
JBS1234, Director of Sales at Ramada State College Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2011

Thank you for your detailed review to of our hotel. We work very diligently to offer one of the best values in the State College area by offering a wide array of amenities and services to our guests As you mentioned, our rates were higher than normal due to the Arts Festival Weekend, although, many of the hotels are over $200 a night for the same time frame. We look forward to your return stay and if I can make your reservations for a future date, please do not hesitate to contact myself or any staff member.

Reviewed July 18, 2011

Visited for Arts Festival and had a great time in State College. Some interior rooms at this Ramada, but it is basically a Motel on the far end of a busy road (322/Atherton St) which runs through the town. There is not much on this side of Atherton St, basically other motels. If you were a very hardy sort, you could conceivably walk into town, but it would easily take 45- 60 mins, depending upon where you want to go. There is a convenient Catholic Church, Our Lady of Victory, on Westerly Parkway (not really a "parkway" at all, just a shady suburban street with sidewalks). Whole neighborhood is safe and family-oriented, except for the student areas which look a little rundown.

The Ramada is huge with good onsite diversions: 2 pools, volleyball, horseshoes, basketball court. Also supposed to be a game room, but we didn't see it, unless this was the room by the indoor pool full of pinball machines. Yuk! Also, we saw no free cookies in the lobby the 3 days we were here. Breakfast buffet was good and cheap; we paid on the weekend only-- Monday was free, but a little skimpier. Waistaff in restaurant and Bar were friendly and attentive. Drinks in Bar were very reasonable and the Margarita was excellent. Front desk was irritable with busy check-out but otherwise helpful. LOCAL Newspapers were free at desk-- NOT delivered to room.

Rooms are smallish but okay. Vanity area in room is cramped with little space for toiletries. There is an armoire in the King room with ample drawer space. Two major problems: Sheets did not appear to have been changed for us; however, this was promptly attended to when I mentioned it. Also, we were on the outdoor pool side where there was an extremely loud roaring sound all the time-- sounded as if you were inside an airplane cabin. I don't think this was as loud on the other side of the hotel, but my companion thought it was the same all over. Maybe an overloaded and outdated air conditioning system ? Needless to say, it was very hard to fall asleep at night-- but once asleep iwe were was okay.

Doubt if we will stay here again. We probably can do as well, if not better, someplace else for about the same rate.

Room Tip: Might be advantageous to ask for a room away from the air conditioner or whatever is making all that...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank evangeline57

Thank you for taking the time to post a tripadvisor review of our facility. While I am sorry that you found some issues with your stay, I am glad that you enjoyed our restaurant facilities and found our waitstaff to be accommodating. We contract with the local newspaper for rooms to be delivered to your guest room, so I am ot sure why it was not delivered to your room. We also offer free USA Today at the front desk. As for the cookies, we do make cookies on a daily basis, however they are generally only available for a few hours in the afternoon. If you could please email me at jbs@ramadasc.com, I could further comment on your stay and investigate the noise complaint as well. Again, please accept my apologies, as I will review with the staff and use this review as an opportunity to improve.

Reviewed July 17, 2011

My wife and I stayed at this Ramada while attending a family reunion and I would never stay here again. The room was cramped, the wall paper was coming loose at the seams, the toiled didn't work well at all (it took several flushes), the ventilation system was very noisy and the whole room was outdated. Additionally, you get all this with premium pricing. I will add the Ramada Hotel to my Never-stay-at-again list.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor. I am sorry that you had a less than pleasant stay, however, it is difficult for me to specific stay without knowing your last name or room number. I would hope that our staff would have been able to fix your guest room issues if they were reported. Please contact me at jbs@ramadasc.com, so I may investigate this further. As for the rates, we do offer very competitive rates, but there are many dates in July when rates are at a premium in the entire town.

Best regards,