“Great for visiting PSU”
Review of Nittany Lion Inn

Nittany Lion Inn
Ranked #5 of 26 Hotels in State College
Reviewed February 26, 2011

Very nice hotel and great location for visiting Penn State. The service was very good, including a shuttle that was available, free to guests. Bar was very nice, didn't eat at the restaurant . Only downside was that we were 2 adults and 2 teenagers and then beds are doubles, not queens.. We had a great 2 days in Penn State and look forward to visiting again.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed December 12, 2010

I visit State college each year for a conference. I always look forward to my stay at the Nittany Lion Inn. The service is perfect. The staff will take you anywhere in town and pick you up. I had a fashion emergency and they drove me to a clothing store... I strongly suggest this hotel when visiting Penn State

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 12, 2010

Up on a recruiting and football weekend. This place is right on campus, great service, perfect location and very friendly service.

i had a great room that had been nicely updated given the age of the hotel. The food in the bar isn't great but the buffet is quite good. The bar is fairly hopping and people don't mind the greasy snack food.

I really look forward to going back. Something I can't say about many hotels.

Workout facility nothing to write home about but everything worked.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank fracmeister
Reviewed October 3, 2010

Stayed at the Nittany Lion Inn for parents weekend due to the fact that most other hotels required a 2 night minimum for this weekend. The Nittany did not!

It was quite nice to be on campus, as I usually stay at the Marriot which is a short drive from the campus. Staff at the Nittany was competent, but not necessarily friendly. Staff behind the desk appeared very quiet and lacked the personality I would expect from a University staff. I did not feel as if I was at the University's hotel! I could have been at any hotel. The rooms were average in size and nicely decorated. The bathroom appeared to be remodeled and was very clean. Water pressure was very low and the bath tub did not drain properly. Request for foam pillows were promptly noted and delivered.

The rooms are not insulated and you can practically see the hallway from the crack in the door. I was unable to sleep as I was able to hear everyone who was passing in the hallway. The room was located on the third floor and faced a back courtyard.

Although the convenience of staying on the University's property was very special indeed, I felt that the Nittany's lack of luster and minimal insulation will prevent me from returning. There are many other hotels in State College which offer more bang for your buck.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 26, 2010

If you are going to Penn State, this is the only place to stay. The historic inn is so charming. Yet, it is modern enough to offer Wifi. The Whiskers Bar is OK. The main dining room, though great for breakfast, is over-rated and mediocre for dinner. I would give this hotel 5 stars if the restaurant were up to par. We stay there two to three times each winter for 30 yrs. Everything is always great except the dining room. Every year, we give it a try, thinking it had to get better....but it never does.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed February 3, 2010

Nittany is old but well maintained. Rooms need to be upgraded a bit. Restaurant was awful since they had servers doing the seafood buffet and did not know what they were doing. I don't mind paying the expensive price, but we also expect a good, well prepared and seasoned seafood buffet. Too bad they had a ton of seafood, but the cooking was mediocre. Why they send servers to cook seafood is beyond me. The front desk and shuttle drivers were very helpful and informative. Would stay again but not eat there.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank conjuror88
Reviewed January 18, 2010

I met a group of 10 of my old Penn State friends here for a reunion weekend, and we had a great time. The hotel bar, Whiskers, was the perfect meeting place. We also spent time talking in the large lobby. Staff was friendly and helpful, the price for a weekend in January was great. We've stayed at many other hotels in State College, but all decided that we'll be planning our future reunions at the Nittany Lion Inn.

Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends