“sterling”

Ranked #3 of 26 Hotels in State College
Bay Village
“sterling”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2008

This hotel is on the campus of Penn State University. it is, they said, run by the College of Hospitality and judging by the eager young faces, staffed by its students. In our view every single staffer we saw or dealt with should be awarded a PHD.

Walk through the front door into an elegantly appointed lobby with a fifteen foot Christmas tree and a roaring fire. Grab a shiny red apple. You'll like it.

Wake up hungry at three in the morning like my old friend did.
He went down to the lobby to ask for a little advice. The lady was happy to direct him to the closest all night diner, but. . she offered to make him some toast and coffee! They had a nice chat, he said.

The condition of the historic building is sterling. Nothing I saw, zero, zilch, nothing, was in need of repair. The University must have a graduate program. in hotel maintenance.

• Liked — attention to detail
  • Disliked — I found not a single thing to complain about
  • Stayed December 2008
2 Thank PetesrLakeErieshore

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2008

We stay here every year during a summer swim meet. We had the Very Important Lion rate, (have no idea how, they just offered) which included free breakfast. Definitely nice to relax in the lovely dining room and enjoy real food and proper service.

The Inn is great in the summer because you can walk downtown/around campus. At $4.00+ per gallon it was nice to know the car could remain parked at the Inn/in the carpark all day.

Our room was a good size . Had a small fridge, coffee machine. The room may have been renovated recently because there was a huge tub and 2 sinks . Really a must for anyone travelling with a teenage girl. We were on the back of the building which was very quiet. They are renovating the lobby so the front desk area is rather cramped right now.

Stayed June 2008
2 Thank tohhall
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2008

This is a charming old hotel that is well-located on campus. It could use some refurbishment, but it is priced well for the value received. We stayed in a somewhat small king-bedded room with a very large bathroom -- jacuzzi, double sinks, over-sized shower. Everything in the room worked, including the coffee maker and hair dryer. I heard people say that almost every room is different as is common in older hotels.

Those people who like charm, value and location will want to stay here. People who want everything new and uniform will be disappointed. If you come, be sure to sample a Penn State ice cream drink at Whiskers.

Because parking is difficult at Penn State, it was nice staying at the inn and using the prompt shuttle service. They picked me up when I called, and it was very convenient.

If you are a golfer, there are 2 courses on campus. You can use the shuttle service to bring you back & forth.

If I am in the area again, I'll look into staying at this inn. I enjoy historic hotels with modern conveniences.

• Liked — Large bathroom
  • Disliked — Small bedroom
  • Stayed June 2008
2 Thank ihopeihelped
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2008

My wife and I stayed and the Inn for two nights-5/2 and 5/3-in conjunction with a reunion also held at the Inn. We found the hotel clean, well kept and staffed by pelasant helpful employees. We had a very large room-1106-which was just above the courtyard for the bar called Whiskers and were somewhat concerned about the possibilty of noise but the windows were thick and there was no problem. The beds ary very comfortable, the towels and linens soft, and the room was very very neat. One bonus was the full range of cable channels for late night relaxing. It seems many hotels these days limit the number of available channels, but the Inn had a wide range of choices. The morning local paper at your door in the morning was a nice touch. The front desk staff was very well trained and helpful and the large basket of fresh apples, always available, was a nice touch. It is hard to find parking available in the lot directly in front of the Inn but the large garage a short walk away was covenient. There is no problem with curbside parking while you unload. We did not eat at the restaurant nor order room service so we cannot comment on that amenity, but the meal we had at the Saturday night banquet was well done, especially considering they were serving 500 people. Good filet and crabcake combo. The restaurant does serve a pretty impressive looking Sunday a.m. buffet for $16.95. The center of campus is a short walk away and the Inn is located in a fairly quiet area of campus-away from the student dorms and in an area with graduate school buildings. Overall, a great weekend, relaxing, quiet at a well run hotel.

• Liked — Pleasant relaxing surroundings
  • Disliked — A bit disorienting a layout
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Steven1146
Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2008

We stayed for two nights while visiting our daughters at Penn State. The on-campus location can't be beat. It gives parents a chance to see what the students do on campus and how they must get from building to building for classes.

Unfortunately, the hotel aspect comes up short. The property is very interesting, but its quadrangle layout often means a long walk to your room.

Housekeeping was an issue. Our room the first night had a thermostat that did not work. We were unable to get the temperature above 65 degrees. We advised the desk in the morning and after being unable to repair the problem, they gave us another room that was much larger and better furnished - I only wish that they had mentioned that it was a handicap room. While there was nothing wrong with it, my trousers had about six inches laying on the floor of the closet. When we first returned to the original room, our message light was lit, but no matter what I did, I could not pick up the message. I finally called the front desk and advised I could not retrieve the message and was told, "Of course not, you have to call us." So, what's the Message Waiting button for?

Both rooms were not as clean as I would like. Each was dusty and the carpets and floors were not thoroughly cleaned. Our second room had a doorlock that was missing a screw and I felt it did not close/lock properly. There is no place in the bathroom to hang bath towels and the practice is to lay them on the sink counter. This virtually eliminates any space for your toiletries.

The problems we encountered were especially troubling since this hotel is used for training hospitality students. Clearly, there is a lax attitude towards inspection and quality control.

This is a lovely old hotel and the location is great. With a concerted effort, this could be made into the showplace, grand hotel it deserves to be.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Housekeeping
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NJTravelBoy
Pittsburgh area
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2008

We had the opportunity to stay at the Nittany Lion Inn during an open house weekend for Penn State. The inn is on the Historical Building Registry and we found it to be very well maintained. Every member of the staff that we encountered went out of their way to see that we taken care of during our stay. We ate one dinner at the inn. It was a buffet dinner and the food was delicious. If I had to pick one bad thing the worse I could say is that the beds were not up to par with some of the nicer beds that better hotels are furnishing their rooms with. Despite this I would stay here in the future.

• Liked — A class act establishment in the middle of a hugh college campus
  • Disliked — the beds
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank Steeler_Pens_fan
Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2007

I had avoided the Nittany Lion for some time after my experience with a Brooklyn sized cockroach, however, I was convinced to try it again since several years elapsed. Although I didn't find cockroaches, I did find candy stuck in the rug near my bed, the TV reception was horrible, the WiFi didn't work and the ethernet was slower than dial up, there was a distinct musty almost B.O. smell in my room upon entry, etc... I won't give it a third chance! Although I will have to attend conferences there, I will stay somewhere else. I did leave a long although polite list of these concerns for the manager, however, I never received any aknowledgement of its receipt.

It is an attractive and unique hotel from the distance and competent upkeep and mangement could make it truly great, however, since this poor situation has been present for years I doubt if the interest to improve exists.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Value, Upkeep, overall poor and dated quality of room amenities
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business