My wife and I stayed on the Penn State campus for a few days and found ourselves spending a few nights at the Nittany Lion Inn.
Right off, the front desk was full of 20 to 30-something year old folks who apparently hadn't learned how to smile. They were quite short and non-engaging. This is the case for anyone we found working the front desk through our entire stay here, no matter how polite we were. This was one of the few negatives we found here as the property, although aging, was quite historic looking and the decor really brought out a colonial/victorian style era that was quite appealing.
The word "Quaint" comes to mind when walking the halls and seeing a lot of royal blue patterned wallpaper and carpeting. The restaurant here was also quite good. As far as casual food choices, they are a couple steps above your average Doubletree or Sheraton in my opinion.
The property was kept clean and the housekeeping staff was pleasant when we said our "Good Morning!" and there are fresh apples constantly stocked in the lobby for guests. The only other negatives we found were that despite the fact you are treated to a decent widescreen LCD TV in the room, there are no pay per view movies available here should you want to curl up for the evening and tune in. Last, we stayed in a total of two rooms over the course of our stay and I noticed the fan vents in both bathrooms were absolutely caked with debris. Some minor wear and tear on wallpaper and bathroom fixtures was also visible.
Overall, our stay was quite pleasant - hey, how can you go wrong staying anywhere in Pennsylvania during the fall months?! I think this Inn is due for some deep detail cleaning but generally keeps its guests happy with attractively historic wall decor and furniture and the rooms are very acceptable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Nittany Lion Inn is a Penn State landmark, rich in history and tradition and a proud member of the National Trust Historic Hotels of America. Our AAA Four Diamond rated property is located on the campus of The Pennsylvania State University, serving as a travelers’ haven and a popular gathering place for Penn State alumni. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia, Priceline, Hotwire, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Nittany Lion Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nittany Lion Hotel State College
- Nittany Lion State College