“Lovely, relaxing hotel”
Review of Nittany Lion Inn

Nittany Lion Inn
Ranked #5 of 26 Hotels in State College
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We went to State College to celebrate Easter with our college student since she did not have time to come home. We had a deluxe double with a sitting room - plenty of room for the three of us. The hotel was clean and charming ... Seating areas throughout the Inn. We also went to the Easter Brunch that was spectacular.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We've stayed at the Nittany Lion Inn several times for events in State College. It's conveniently located to entertainment venues, but it's a half block off the main drag, so the area surrounding the hotel is quiet. The rates are comparable to the chain hotels in town, but the atmosphere is much nicer. The rooms are comfortable and clean. Bedding and towels are fine, except for the pillows which are a little too plump-if you're not used to a fat pillow, ask the staff for a regular pillow so your neck doesn't have a kink in the morning. Toiletries are good-not highly scented for those allergic to strong perfumes.

Staff are all very friendly and helpful and will take the time to answer your questions. There is limited parking in front of the hotel, but there's a parking garage adjacent to the hotel which is free for guests. There's a comfortable pub located on the premises which is nice for a nightcap or light meals. There's also a restaurant on-site which is acceptable. No breakfast is included in the daily rate.

We'll definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I love historic hotels and this one is a beauty. Traveling to this area quite a bit for work, I've tried many of the local hotels. It's located right on campus so the location is excellent for business or visiting the university. The rooms are very nice. The exterior of the hotel makes a grand impression. Pretty clean overall and staff is friendly.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I took my father to Penn State's basketball alumni weekend (class of '53). We have stayed here before and It just keeps getting better. Located right in the heart of the Penn State campus, just about everything is in walking distance. My father is a little older so we opted for the free courtesy shuttle (just tip) to get around. They will drop you off and pick you up! This historic hotel was built in the 1930's and continues the values of the day. The staff was very polite, helpful, and respectful. The lobby was warm with a real wood fire burning constantly. There is a basket of free apples for snacking which my dad liberally takes advantage of each time we walk past! The rooms were clean and well appointed. Considering the age of the building, it was very well maintained. The beds were very comfortable and we all slept well. Fortunately for us, we stayed over on a Saturday night because on Sunday they offer a $16.95 brunch which is delightful. I did not go to the bar "Whiskers", but have been there in the past. It's just a really friendly place to hang out and watch a game.

Bottom Line: A wonderful step back in time, but with better amenities!

Room Tip: If you are older, or disabled ask for a room near the elevator because some of the rooms can be a go...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
PSHSReservationsMgr, Guest Relations Manager at Nittany Lion Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Thank you so much for sharing such a wonderful note about your stay with us. We are so glad that you and your father enjoyed your weekend here! If you ever need assistance during the upcoming basketball seasons, be sure to check our website for our Slam Dunk packages that we offer during the Winter season, that include your game tickets. Thank you again, for sharing a great experience with us!

Reviewed March 6, 2013

This was my first stay at the Nittany Lion, and I'm certain that I'll be a return customer. The inn is located on the Penn State Campus, so is very convenient for campus events. It is in a very tastefully decorated historic building, features period architecture and furnishings, and is a very comfortable and inviting place. Nice lobby with wood burning fireplace, plenty of seating. The rooms are a bit on the small side, but quite comfortable. The building is very well made, and I had no problem with noise from adjoining rooms. The inn offers free internet as well as free shuttle service to any location on campus (I had no need to leave campus on this trip). There are two restaurants, both excellent and very reasonably priced -- I would highly recommend the London broil -- best I've ever had! Parking is also free either in the open lot or covered garage. The fitness center was very modest, but adequate. I was very happy with my stay, and will definitely return.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

We are so excited when we have a new addition to our "family" here at the Inn...welcome! If we may ever assist in personalizing your stay prior to your arrival, please send any requests (pillow types, room locations, amenities, etc.) to concierge@psu.edu and we will be sure to have your room set to your preferences. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us; we look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed March 3, 2013

This was my first time to Penn State with my fiancé, who is a proud PSU alum. He had surprised me with a weekend in State College for a concert (which was unfortunately cancelled). He told me that his first choice of hotel for our stay was the Nittany Lion Inn, which is in a great location on campus and very "traditional Penn State." I was pleasantly surprised when we arrived. We typically stay in new, modern accommodations but this hotel was lovely, with a lot of charm. Our room was very clean, good size, and had a love seat, chair, and mini-fridge and microwave. A beautiful lobby and decent parking were pluses...and you can't beat the beautiful wood burning fireplace!

While the hotel has definitely been modernized nicely, there are a few things I wish were different. I was very unhappy that there were no safes in the room. I am not comfortable with giving the front desk any valuables to keep. In addition, the bed was very uncomfortable and could definitely do with a new, softer mattress.

Overall, I was very happy with my first experience in Penn State and with the Nittany Lion Inn. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to State College.

• Stayed: March 2013

We are thrilled to be associated with your first Penn State visit - what a privilege! As a member of the Historic Hotels of America, we are certainly proud of our historic preservation, while always striving to provide the utmost in comfort for our guests. Many of our guest rooms are undergoing enhancements, and we look forward to continuing to improve the experience for our guests. Thank you so much for spending time with us - we hope to see you again!

Reviewed March 2, 2013

We love the Nittany Lion Inn. It is housed in a spectacular old building on Penn State's campus. The rooms are classy, well-appointed and comfortable. The bar and restaurant are both wonderful, with great food and a relaxed, yet elegant atmoshpere. The service is impeccable, and the location can't be beat for exploring the charming town of State College. Don't even think of staying anywhere else!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

All we can say is...Awesome. Thank you so much for such a wonderful vote of confidence...we are so happy to have guests like you! We hope to see you again soon.