“Management engages in bait and switch tactics”
Review of Nittany Lion Inn

Nittany Lion Inn
Ranked #4 of 26 Hotels in State College
“Management engages in bait and switch tactics”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Twice in the 2012 year we have booked standard rooms to visit our children. On both occasions on check-in we were told that only suites were available at a much higher rate. Their answer, "you stay in a suite, you pay for a suite." Due to their mismanagement since these reservations were made months in advance, the traveler gets rude response and inaction. Traveler beware. If this has happened to you, I advise a complaint to the Pennsylvania Attorney Generals office for investigation. Mr. Purdum is the manager of the hotel and the source of this problem.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Millertime4pats
PSHSReservationsMgr, Guest Relations Manager at Nittany Lion Inn, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns with your accommodations. We appreciate having the opportunity to address any disconnect that may exist between our guests and our desire to provide the best service.
After our discussions, we now understand that the selection of the suite in your online bookings was not your preference, and have noted your profile accordingly for a preference of a standard room. While many times we can accommodate a room type change at check-in, during periods of high demand and limited occupancy, we sometimes do not have additional room types available. We sincerely apologize that the room type configuration presented as an alternative was not acceptable, and hope that we now have a better understanding of your needs. In the future, we are always happy to assist you personally with any questions you may have about our room types, room features and amenities by calling our Reservations team directly at 1800-233-7505. We sincerely apologize for any frustration you may have experienced, but do hope that you enjoyed your stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Columbia, MD
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We got a great rate last week at the Nittany Lion Inn, really surprising. Service was excellent as was the room. Very clean, comfortable, great bathroom. Only thing is that the mattress has seen better days and really should be replaced. We enjoyed sitting in the lobby and just watching the passing scene. Unfortunately, we learned of the free shuttle service just before we left....I think they only tell people about it if they ask directions. That is why I rated this great place at 4 stars.

We have stayed at a lot of 5 star hotels over the years. The Nittany Lion Inn aspires to 5 star, but is just a little shy of that goal.

One other thing is that it is so large and spread out, that we had a hard time finding the shortest route to our room....even the shortest route was a long complicated trek. Advance directions at the desk would help but they just told us which direction to go.

We would certainly stay here again if we go back to State College. Location alone right on campus plus the old school atmosphere makes this the place to stay!

Room Tip: Ask for something closer to the lobby!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
PA
Reviewed August 19, 2012

One step off the hotel property and you are on campus. I loved this hotel. An oasis with old world charm. While sitting in one of the courtyards outside of our room on the first floor I thought for a moment I could have been in France. A beautiful wrought iron gazebo and manicured gardens were a perfect setting for a morning coffee or an evening cocktail. My room was quiet, clean, and nicely furnished. The hotel provided free wifi, but there was no frig in my room. I had a delicious meal in Whiskers, one of the restaurants, and the bar was fun and friendly. I happily recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I liked my first floor room in the hallway of the fitness center. Beautiful view and a few steps awa...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

Stayed there during a conference and really enjoyed the hotel and service. They have a shuttle that took me anywhere I wanted. Whiskers, one of the restaurants, served really good food (probably the best I had during my trip sadly). They had free WiFi throughout and free apples at the lobby. Staff were very nice. I have no complaints at all!

• Stayed August 2012
Bheide
Reviewed August 17, 2012

This is a really nice hotel, well situated and nicely furnished rooms. The hotel is not to far away from the Penn State College, it's an easily walking distance. The service is very good, and all are very friendly, I can highly recommend it.

Room Tip: so far as I learned, all rooms are good!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Florida
Reviewed August 17, 2012 via mobile

We love this place!

My wife and I have stayed here at least once a year for more than ten years and it has never disappointed us.  The staff does a great job of keeping it looking as if it were new, although the older section dates back to 1931.  We usually stay in the new section, but this time we got a room in the old section.  If you were not familiar with the Inn you wouldn't know the old section from the new.  The rooms in the old section are arranged differently and may be a bit smaller, but our room had a large Jacuzzi which we had never seen in the new section.  One thing about the old section is that you don't get instantly hot water but that is no biggie.  The Inn is on the edge of the campus and it is a easy walk to the main campus locations and downtown.  Remember that the Inn provides free and friendly rides to just about anywhere in town if you don't want to walk, and they will come and pick you up also.  Just ask at the front desk.  A nice touch is the lending library on the third and fourth floor.  If you visit Penn State this is the place to stay.

RGinTally

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 16, 2012

My fiance and I stayed here with two of our friends over the course of Ag Progress Days. When we arrived we realized there was no available parking for his F250 and it was too high for the garage so the bellmen assisted him with parking it in the lane, although they did make him try to fit the truck into the parking garage. We valeted it. The bellman were very helpful, as were the front desk. I was surprised when I had asked to purchase Excedrin for my fiance and the front desk told me I could find it in the gift shop, which was closed - and they would not open it for me to get it. The room was very clean and the bed was extremely comfortable. My friends and I had not asked for adjoining rooms but we did get them and it was very nice to be accommodated without asking! The lobby did have beautiful flowers all over and I also did enjoy the fact that we were right on campus.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
PSHSReservationsMgr, Guest Relations Manager at Nittany Lion Inn, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Thank you so much for giving us such great feedback from your stay with us! I am truly glad that you enjoyed your stay. I am sorry to hear that your fiance was a little under the weather! We do have many complimentary toiletries that we can provide if you forget them; unfortunately, for safety reasons we are not able to provide medication. We are always happy to help with a quick shuttle to a local pharmacy if the need would arise! Thank you again for staying with us - we hope to see you again next year!