“Wonderful. Highly recommend.”

Ranked #3 of 26 Hotels in State College
Tucson, Arizona
“Wonderful. Highly recommend.”
Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

Stayed there during a conference and really enjoyed the hotel and service. They have a shuttle that took me anywhere I wanted. Whiskers, one of the restaurants, served really good food (probably the best I had during my trip sadly). They had free WiFi throughout and free apples at the lobby. Staff were very nice. I have no complaints at all!

• Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Bheide
Reviewed August 17, 2012

This is a really nice hotel, well situated and nicely furnished rooms. The hotel is not to far away from the Penn State College, it's an easily walking distance. The service is very good, and all are very friendly, I can highly recommend it.

Room Tip: so far as I learned, all rooms are good!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Florida
Reviewed August 17, 2012 via mobile

We love this place!

My wife and I have stayed here at least once a year for more than ten years and it has never disappointed us.  The staff does a great job of keeping it looking as if it were new, although the older section dates back to 1931.  We usually stay in the new section, but this time we got a room in the old section.  If you were not familiar with the Inn you wouldn't know the old section from the new.  The rooms in the old section are arranged differently and may be a bit smaller, but our room had a large Jacuzzi which we had never seen in the new section.  One thing about the old section is that you don't get instantly hot water but that is no biggie.  The Inn is on the edge of the campus and it is a easy walk to the main campus locations and downtown.  Remember that the Inn provides free and friendly rides to just about anywhere in town if you don't want to walk, and they will come and pick you up also.  Just ask at the front desk.  A nice touch is the lending library on the third and fourth floor.  If you visit Penn State this is the place to stay.

RGinTally

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 16, 2012

My fiance and I stayed here with two of our friends over the course of Ag Progress Days. When we arrived we realized there was no available parking for his F250 and it was too high for the garage so the bellmen assisted him with parking it in the lane, although they did make him try to fit the truck into the parking garage. We valeted it. The bellman were very helpful, as were the front desk. I was surprised when I had asked to purchase Excedrin for my fiance and the front desk told me I could find it in the gift shop, which was closed - and they would not open it for me to get it. The room was very clean and the bed was extremely comfortable. My friends and I had not asked for adjoining rooms but we did get them and it was very nice to be accommodated without asking! The lobby did have beautiful flowers all over and I also did enjoy the fact that we were right on campus.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
PSHSReservationsMgr, Guest Relations Manager at Nittany Lion Inn, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Thank you so much for giving us such great feedback from your stay with us! I am truly glad that you enjoyed your stay. I am sorry to hear that your fiance was a little under the weather! We do have many complimentary toiletries that we can provide if you forget them; unfortunately, for safety reasons we are not able to provide medication. We are always happy to help with a quick shuttle to a local pharmacy if the need would arise! Thank you again for staying with us - we hope to see you again next year!
Plymouth, Minnesota
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I stayed at the Nittany Lion Inn for a conference I was attending at the hotel.

The rooms were spacious and it is nice to have a refrigerator and microwave in the room. The room also had a nice desk and chair which allowed for ample room for working. The free shuttle service is definitely a plus.

The negatives are few, but very big for me.
-The walls are paper thin, so you can hear everything in the room attached to yours. This
creates some sleepless nights if you have a loud or even active neighbor.

-The wifi in the hotel is absolutely horrible. You can pick it up in some areas, but not others.
This created some difficulties for me.

-The hotel needs a big updating. The decor is dated and needs to be a little more modern.

-The food at the hotel was not the best of quality. I only ate at the buffet and didn't like much
of anything I had. Everything looked great, but didn't taste as good as at looked.

For the price, I believe the hotel should be a bit nicer. The options are limited in the area and I fear they take advantage of that.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank TonyA987
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Inn - we value all feedback we receive!
We are happy to customize your stay with us to accommodate as many of your preferences as possible. Approximately ten days prior to each arrival, you should receive a concierge letter to your email inbox that allows you to select a variety of room features, amenities and special requests for your upcoming stay. Each guest's reason for visit varies so if you would like to have a quieter room with stronger internet access, we can certainly work to get you in the most comfortable location.
Thank you again for your feedback - we hope to see you again!
Newark, Delaware
Reviewed August 10, 2012

It is a nice hotel and rooms are good. Nothing is really spectacular, but it is comfortable. The staff is very friendly. It is a nice exterior and some pretty spaces inside. The hot tub is nice, but for some reason the main powerful jets pretty much shoot up your crotch. Not sure if that design was on purpose. Meeting spaces are nice, we had breakfast buffets arranged for our group and somethings were good (bacon, pastries, banana bread french toast) some were surprisingly bad (especially the bagels...not sure how you screw them up so badly, we get grocery store frozen bagels that are way better). We had a dinner buffet for us as well, and it was a pretty good meal.

One thing, I saw another reviewer complain about was the noise. I did not have a problem at night, but could definitely see that happening. The walls seemed pretty sound-proof, but the doors were definitely on the extreme end of allowing noise through. Walking down the halls, you can here people's quiet conversations very clearly. It stood out to me more than any other hotel I have stayed. It seems strange for an old hotel to have sound-proof walls (because they would be very difficult to improve through renovation) and have such weak doors, which would be comparatively so much easier to upgrade).

I went to their sister hotel to use the pool and it was nice.

It is a nice area, I loved hiking and biking at Rothrock state forest (by Tussey ski mtn.)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Philadelphia
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I remember the food as very good, but what stood out in my mind (and still does) is their FAMOUS Lobster Bisque!! (Now I found the recipe since I don't live in SC anymore). I dream of this soup at night....so good. I have tried many locations' lobster bisque, and this one is still tops.

Service was attentive and staff was courteous.

Can you get that my review states you should try the Lobster Bisque?? :-)

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
PSHSReservationsMgr, Guest Relations Manager at Nittany Lion Inn, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
Alanna, thank you so very much for the vote of approval! We are pretty proud of our lobster bisque and so glad that it was as good as you remembered it. Even though you can now make it at home, you are always welcome to come back at any time so all you have to do is relax and enjoy. Thanks for stopping in!