“Great complement to Happy Valley visit.”

Hampton Inn State College
Ranked #11 of 26 Hotels in State College
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Although we only stayed one night, this hotel was nice, clean, and comfortable. Friendly staff, tea, coffee, and hot chocolate always available in the lobby, and a great breakfast. I would definitely book another night if I had the opportunity.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed September 11, 2009

We stayed here for a Penn State Game, its about a 15 minute walk to Beaver Stadium. It was right at the bottom of the entrance. We walked up, a little hilly at first, but then flattened out. It was a nice room, they were able to get us in with an early arrival, which was great. Hotel was clean, it was a good trip, would use this hotel again.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 17, 2009

I love Hampton Inn and hate to give any one of them below a 4 star but this hotel has some issues.
First the sign out front is covered by trees and can not be seen at all coming from downtown State College. It is on a very busy 4 lane highway and it would help if you could see the sign. The front desk staff is awesome and if I wouldn't have called them after I passed it I would have never found it.

I was originally very happy with the room but I stayed 3 nights and my opinion went down. When I walked in the room it was like an ice box. I checked the air conditioner and it was set at 56. What a waste of electricity. I had to turn the heat on just to warm up the room. Well the heat also served the purpose to try to dry out the carpet in front of the air/heat unit. It was wet. After the first night the entire rug was damp. And it didn't stop there. The bedding was damp and even my clothes became damp hanging in the closed. It was very humid and the air system at this hotel did nothing to control it.

Other than that the room was clean and nicely updated. Very few TV channels and not my favorites but ok. Internet was low at times and spotty but free. The cleaning staff was nice but didn't clean the tub each day. Hairs (mine thank goodness) were there the 2nd and 3rd days. Also the bathmat had not been moved off the side of the tub to allow them to clean it. I had folded it kind of weird and noticed it hadn't been moved.

The shampoo and conditioner were not restocked until the last day. I had originally booked for 3 people but my family didn't come. I would have been chasing down shampoo if they had.

The only restaurant within walking distance is Damen's right in the parking lot. The front desk recommended it and it was just ok. I did eat there 3 times because I didn't want to drive anywhere. The french onion soup is really good.

I didn't get to try the outside pool because of the weather so I can not comment on that.

Standard Hampton breakfast which is always good. It's nice to have a free breakfast included.

The hotel was packed because a group from a swimming competition was styaing there and it was close to the beginning of the semister at Penn State but the hotel did not feel crowded. The breakfast was kept stocked and the hot coffee flowing. Tables were cleaned in an instant and I always found a seat.

Overall I would stay here again and probably will next year for the same business function which is held at the Nittany Lion Inn and I choose not to stay there. Not sure what they can do about the rug and the dampness but they need to fix it.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank HOSKI
Reviewed August 10, 2009

This hotel was perfect. The rooms were clean and large. The breakfast in the morning was wonderful. We stayed two nights and both mornings we had a great hot breakfast. My son loved the pool and everyone was very friendly. Location was great to many different things to do and places to eat. We will definetly stay there again and would recommend it!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 13, 2009

Normally dont stay at Hamptons, but everywhere sold out due to the Art Festival and some basketball camp/tournament going on.

Pros: Nice front desk people. Free breakfast and coffee bar. Gotta love free internet. The pool outside looked nice, but I didnt use it.

Cons: Not much really. Nothing special. It is very noisy due to all the kids running around for the camp. No flat screen (I guess Im a little snob).

I would stay here again if I had to.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 12, 2009

My husband and I visited Hampton Inn in July to attend the arts festival at State College. Location of the hotel was good. The room was small and the beds were not very comfortable. Continental breakfast each morning was okay. The worst issue: after walking on the rug barefoot, my feet were black and dirty, and this was just after taking a shower. To add insult to injury, my husband, who is a diamond member of Hilton, mentioned this to the gentleman at the front desk. When he did so, another gentleman guest who was checking out also mentioned the same thing happened to him. The desk clerk seemed very unconcerned about this and stated, "well, we have the rugs shampooed once a week." Unbelievable!!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
sceclhx, Management Representative at Hampton Inn State College, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2009

Thank you very much for posting your comments regarding your stay with us. We do have our carpets cleaned on a regular basis and we just had the entire hotel cleaned during the month of August. Please give us another chance on your next visit to town, as Hampton Inn does offer a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee.

Reviewed November 14, 2008

I stay at a lot of Hampton Inns when travelling on business. This is a very typical, if uninpired Hampton. It looks and feels pretty much like every Hampton Inn...so, no surprises.

The desk people were friendly and helpful. The hotel was clean. The room was comfortable. They gym facilities adequate. The Hampton Inn breakfast, just ok, nothing special.

The desk recommended the resturant next door for dinner. Big mistake. It was a big, not particularly good barbeque/steak place. Otherwise no real complaints and I would stay here again...though I'd eat somewhere else.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)