“Great value for what you need, espeically while driving along I-80”

Hampton Inn State College
Ranked #11 of 26 Hotels in State College
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Free internet, breakfast, bottled water, cookies...For a side of the road hotel, this place is perfect. It does seem a little deserted, standing alone, but it's close enough to downtown State College. I stayed there while driving across I-80 from Michigan to NY. The staff was helpful in pointing me to restaurants in the area. If you have to make the trip across I-80 this is one of the better places to stop for sure.

Room Tip: You can by beer at Damon's located in the same parking lot, if you need a pick me up for your ro...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 29, 2012

This location was convenient to my work and the college retail/restaurant area. There is also a popular eatery next door. The hotel was adequate, but nothing special. Parking is easily accomplished in an oversized parking lot. I've been to nicer Hampton Inns, but this one was o.k.

The staff was helpful and attentive. If I were working in the area again, I'd probably consider this hotel as one of my options.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Stefan C, General Manager at Hampton Inn State College, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2013

Thank you for your feedback on your recent business stay with us. We are glad to hear our location was convenient for your activities in the area and we hope you will return. Please let us know when booking again how we can make your stay even better.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

I have to comment on the staff...they were helpful, accommodating and just all around pleasant. We held a meeting in the lobby area and when the manager noticed us sitting for some time, he came over and gave us each a bottle of water. Not really a big deal but it left a great impression. The room was spacious and clean. They even left a post-it (preprinted) to tell me that!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Everything you need, and a very pleasant helpful staff. Booked a room here while in transit across Pennsylvania and needed to ride out the weather (Sandy) for the night. All the facilities one would need are there, it's three minutes, at most, from the center of college-town, and 10 minutes from the big box stores on the business road. If you're bar-hopping in downtown then it might be a bit of a walk but if you want a little quiet, this is perfect.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 31, 2012

This hotel was ok...for a hotel in the Hilton family I was surprised how dingy it was. It could use an update. Room could have been cleaned better...carpet looked as if it hadn't been vacuumed in quite some time. Bathroom was clean and beds were comfortable. Luckily this was just a business trip...I would not bring my family here for a visit. Could hear everything in the hallway at all hours...

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
sceclhx, Manager at Hampton Inn State College, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Thank you for your feedback on your recent business stay with us. I understand you were unhappy with the cleanliness of your room and I am very sorry for this experience. We take a lot of pride in our guests being satisfied and apologize that we were unable to meet that expectation. I have shared your comments our housekeeping staff and we are working to prevent this from being a recurring issue in the future. I am glad to hear you found your bed comfortable and bathroom suitable and I hope that if your travels bring you back to the area, you will consider staying with us again.

Stefan Cherinka

Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed at this Hampton Inn for four days recently while I had a class at Penn State. The hotel is near Penn State campus, and was a mile away from my destination. You can almost walk downtown where the restaurants and shops are located.
Customer service here was fine but the rooms and hallways are in need of upgrades. And the windows don't open. The beds are okay but only having a duvet when it's in the 70s didn't work for me. The rooms have extra outlets and USB ports which is nice. The only close restaurant is Damon's, a chain that is a sports bar with mostly bar food and beer. Go downtown for better ethic food.

Room Tip: Don't get a room behind Damon's or else you're dealing with dumpster noise and smell, pl...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
sceclhx, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn State College, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. We appreciate your feedback and it will certainly help when our next renovation is planned. We are glad to hear our location was convenient for your activities in the area and we hope you will return to see our improvements should your travels bring you back to the area in the future.

Steven Morgan

Reviewed October 25, 2012

I am a hilton honors member. Although i really love hampton inns, this is the worst one i have stayed in. The first room they gave me smelled like stong cleaning fluid. I asked for another room. They gave me one that smells stongly of urine. I didnt want to complain a second time but endured a night of the horrific smell. Obviously it wasnt cleaned.

Room Tip: If you want a clean hotel room dont go here.
1  Thank bonnie y
sceclhx, General Manager at Hampton Inn State College, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Thank you very much for sharing your comments regarding your stay. I do apologize that the rooms were not up to your expectations. We take our cleanliness very seriously as you can see from many previous posts and we will address the problems you mentioned in the two rooms you experienced. Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any further concerns.

Stefan Cherinka