“Bring some all-purpose cleansor... you're gonna need it.”

Super 8 State College
Ranked #21 of 26 Hotels in State College
Reviewed April 28, 2011

I have very little standards for a hotel room, but this experience was one beyond "standards." I traveled with my colleagues to a science conference at Penn State. We needed convenience so we chose the nearby Super 8. Our stay was all but convenient, however. While the location was great (a Perkin's is right across the parking lot), the hotel itself was a disaster. We arrived at the hotel past our check-in time, but it looked as though the rooms weren't even cleaned during the enormous block of time that the staff had to do so. Our first realization was that the carpets were stained and filthy. There was also dust, dirt, and some sort of "cracker debris" scattered over what they call a coffee table. We pulled back the covers of the bed, only to find 8+ black hairs stationed throughout the sheets, and black marks all over the pillowcases. This catastrophe was all set in a dimly lit, sour milk-smelling room, with a bathroom that had bodily fluid stains on the toilet seat (I won't go into detail). By this point, we were less than thrilled about the cleanliness. We rode the wonderful rickety (and wooden?) elevator down to the lobby, and politely requested a brief cleaning of the room. The lobby attendant was the only worker on duty, and handed us a washcloth and "all purpose cleaning spray." It's safe to say that this "8" is anything but super.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank RLVWS

Reviewed April 5, 2011

My daughter had an interview with the college and had this hotel recommended because it had been recently updated (and because they thought she was coming alone on a student budget.) We paid about $100 for 2 weekday nights plus tax.

Not so sure about the renovation as the hotel is worn around the edges but we found the halls and room and importantly the breakfast room clean. The only comment about the room is that I'm not used to not having a closet door or curtain or something... The room long door track was there but the closet rods and shelf are convenient and accessible but open... Shower pressure was not pounding but ok. Hard water leaves spots not much you can do about that.

The hotel is outside of the downtown and was very nice and quiet both nights. It was an easy right hand turn onto 322 to get downtown and since 322 is the main road very convenient to get back. We saw several other hotels just across the street and next door.

The breakfast room had fresh coffee, hot water for tea, bagels, muffins and fresh fruit. Cereals and milk and toasters and a microwave. The muffins and bagels were NOT those cellaphane wrapped travesties. I had a chocolate chip chocolate fresh muffin both mornings with my juice (orange, apple or cranberry). The lady providing the set up kept checking on the supply and there were even trays to take things up to the room.

A request for a deli location to the front desk (my daughter was ill) and we needed soup, had the front desk lady drawing exactly how to get there on a map. She also provided how long and how to find Wal-mart for medicine later that night. Very helpful.

Only consideration for safety is that other guests kept leaving the end doors down the staircase ajar... I kept closing them for safety since we had an end room away from the middle elevator. Back door can't be easily seen by the front desk and don't know if it is kept locked or at what time...

I would definately stay here again if budget was my main consideration.

Room Tip: Ask for high and away from the elevator.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Lisaonthegoco
Reviewed February 27, 2011

This was my second time staying here... both stays have been excellent. First of all, when I arrived at the airport and called the Super 8 about getting the free airport shuttle, they weren't kidding... apparently their shuttle wasn't running so they instructed me to get a taxi and the motel would cover the cost after I arrived. $17.50 later, the driver went in to the lobby and the person at the desk paid up (I covered the tip)... I was amazed, seeing as my room was just $50/night.

Next, I went to pull up my reservation that I'd booked several months in advance (hence the $50/night rate) and it was nowhere to be found... for whatever reason, it did not get logged in the system. I was pulling my hair out at the front desk, using their "business center" computer (with internet) to frantically search for my reservation... I figured they would have to charge me the full rate since I was basically walking up without proof of my reservation. I finally conceded and asked how much it would be; the woman tapped her keyboard a few times and said she would give me the room (4 nights) for $50/night. Again, I was floored--totally amazed by their level of customer service.

Checked in, grabbed my bus (there are two buses that run at least once an hour, stopping directly in front of the motel and going to campus--$1.50 per ride), and was quite happy to have a clean, warm room to come home to each night. Not to mention the free continental breakfast, fresh free cookies every day in the lobby, free USA Today, and shampoo/soap in the rooms. The location is slightly out of town, but the bus lines make up for it and also it's only a brisk 35-minute walk from the motel to College & Allen (downtown) if you feel up to it.

Naturally, this is a pretty no-frills motel, so anyone expecting 5-star quality will be disappointed. But it is a bargain at this price, and they clean the rooms dutifully every day. The heater/AC is a little bit loud and the decor leaves something to be desired, but again, everything was functional and clean and the service was great. Will definitely stay here again and again.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank AntipodesRVK
Super81663, General Manager at Super 8 State College, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2011

The nice compliments on our customer service were greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Reviewed August 31, 2010

This is the largest Super 8 I have been in so far. It has large room, very nice breakfast and is located in a nice area. Sink area is outside of the bathroom, which is convenient for a larger family. The price was the best for that area. Parking area is well lit, they plant flowers in front of the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank NYC7777777

Thank you for your nice compliments while visiting the Super 8 in State College.

Reviewed August 15, 2010

We have stayed at this Super 8 several times and in general they were pleasant stays. Last time, however, on July 31 we had a problem with service, or should I say lack of.

The front desk was totally unwelcoming upon arrival and indifferent upon checkout the next day.. Don't they teach that at travel school? Or maybe they were just PSU students who really just could not care about what happens to Super 8 and its customers? Wouldn't you expect a little "Welcome to Super 8" upon arrival and "How was your stay? upon checking out. Heck, I was made to attend a phone courtesy class where I work just in case I had to answer the phone and it was someone from the public -- like a paying customer!

But, if you are reading this, you have probably run into this a lot, haven't you? But I still don't understand it. It's supposed to be the HOSPITALITY business! You are supposed to be HOSPITABLE!

The other thing was that we had a coffee maker in the room -- but NO COFFEE! Luckily, they had some brewing in the lobby and I tried some and it was still fresh, even in the evening.

Then there was the small matter of no shampoo and only one bar of soap in the bathroom. Again, luckily, I had some shampoos and soaps from previous hotel stays in my shaving kit. Oh, and no Kleenex and no spare toilet paper. Talk about pressure! We had to worry about running out of toilet paper! Whoever serviced our room really dropped the ball, I would say.

The breakfast was good though (muffins, bagels, pastries, juices, etc) and the breakfast area is really nice and roomy.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Super81663, General Manager at Super 8 State College, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2011

Please accept my sincere apology to you and your family for your unpleasant experience during your last stay in State College. To help correct items that you describe, a Mystery Shopper Program is now in place. The Mystery Shopper will complete a report based on an actual overnight visit. The report is then shared with all managers and staff as part of a learning tool. As a result of this program, our housekeeping supervisor has become more diligent in her daily routine by ensuring all guestroom items such as toilet paper, shampoo, and coffee are stocked before guest check in. This program has also helped to improve our customer service at the front desk. The staff is able to see and hear how they sound when responding to guest needs both in person and on the telephone.
I am happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed our complimentary breakfast. We receive excellent reviews daily on the many breakfast choices!
Again, thank you for sharing your experience. I would like to invite you to try us again for any future lodging needs.

Reviewed July 9, 2010

We booked this hotel for the Arts Festival and due to the fact we have our dog with us the Super 8 was the only pet friendly option. The night check in staff were pleasant and checked us in quickly. Our room located on the 4th floor at first glance looked dusty and had a fusty smell. After checking the beds the sheets and pillow cases were so thread bare you could see your hands through them. The bathroom towels were grey with use and there were hairs around the toilet and sink and overall the room did not appear to be cleaned very well. For the price of $160 a night I would really expect more. At that rate per room I think they could afford to buy new linens. We won't be staying again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
TSilfies, General Manager at Super 8 State College, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2010

Please accept my sincere apologies for the unpleasant experience during your last stay. I have met with the housekeeping supervisor regarding the condition of your room. We immediately had our Laundry staff go through the linen and towels to discard any that were not suitable for guest use. Additionally, we have reviewed the items mentioned with all the housekeepers and room inspectors to improve the service provided by our property daily. Emphasis has been placed on providing clean and comfortable accommodations.

Reviewed June 8, 2010

This is a decent hotel. It looks like it has been updated recently. Front desk staff were nice.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo

Thank you for sharing the nice comments regarding your visit to the Super 8 in State College, PA.