“Quality at "the Aterton"”
Review of The Atherton Hotel

The Atherton Hotel
Ranked #14 of 26 Hotels in State College
Reviewed September 13, 2005

I recently stayed at the Atherton hotel in State college PA, and completey enjoyed the friendly staff, delicious food and clean rooms. A nice place in a cute town

3  Thank Twarkian
TheAthertonHotel, Manager at The Atherton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2015

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. Your review and your time and business are very much appreciated.

Reviewed June 4, 2005

I stayed at the Hotel Atherton in State College, PA fpr 3 nights in early June. It's the best value in the Big 10. The posted rate on the door is $104...and, of course, we paid less, for a king-size bed. It's quirky. Some of the parts of the hotel public space have been renovated more recently than others.
But, I would defintely stay here again

2  Thank jon160

Reviewed April 24, 2005

Stayed one night at the Atherton on a visit to check out Penn State with our daughter. This is a slightly above average hotel. Asked for more towels as there were 4 in our party and they were brought up immediately. Heating/air conditioning unit was a little loud and the make up mirror was torn out of the bathroom wall. Other than that, no complaints.

• Stayed: April 2005
4  Thank mckinfam

Bristol, CO
Reviewed November 21, 2004

I have been staying at the Atherton for about 12 years, but have encountered a continual degradation in service, cleanliness, and overall management of the hotel. The last three stays, rooms have been horribly cleaned and hotel management has systematically given me a "so what" attitude. I actually found someone's used underware in the room and the toilet had not been cleaned at all. Also, I needed to cancel a room but was an hour after the 24 hour deadline and was charged full price. Again, after contacting management, I was treated rudely and made to feel as if I was bothering them. They never bothered responding to e-mail or returning phone messages. I can't imagine what kind of business they think they're in - it's certainly not the "hospitality" business.

I was also the victim of the "bait and switch" routine they seem to pull with rooms. They charged my credit card months in advance for a non-smoking room and then gave me a smelly smoking room and were disinterested in considering a switch. I will never stay at the Atherton Hotel again and warn everyone else about the incompetent and rude management I have encountered.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. Your business is appreciated. Our hotel is under new management at our front desk and we think you will enjoy the staff very much on your next visit. The entire property is non-smoking.

Maryland
Reviewed March 14, 2004

You can't really beat the location -- you can walk almost anywhere you'd want to go, save perhaps the Bryce Jordan Center and Beaver Stadium. The hotel itself could use a little more regular maintenance.
There were water stains on the ceiling and wallpaper was starting to separate itself from the wall. Still, for the price we paid, this hotel was well worth it.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We hope you will stay with us again and enjoy a more pleasant experience.

Reviewed November 22, 2003

Common areas had badly worn, frayed carpet and needed to be cleaned or vacuumed. My non-smoking room smelled like cigarettes, my sheets had stains and crunchy substances on them (I can't adequately describe the state of the mattress pad that was revealed when the sheets were changed), and there was scum and hair in the bathtub. All of the staff were friendly and the location was convenient, but this was a dingy, dirty hotel.

2  Thank Naka97
Management response:Responded October 6, 2005

The Atherton underwent a multi million dollar renovation of all hotel rooms and common areas in the past 12 months. It looks fabulous and I invite you to come and see the wonderful changes we have made.

Akron, Ohio
Reviewed October 26, 2003

I travel quite frequently and I always look forward to my refreshing stop in State College and Penn State University. On my last visit I found the coolest hotel nestled at the end of town. The Atherton Hotel reminds you of one of the boutique hotels' you'd find in San Francisco.
It has a European feel to it and the service is impeccable. The personalized service I received there was comparable to some of the finest hotels in the country. After a week there I truly felt that I was a part of the Atherton family. The restaurant was fabulous. I had the best steak I've ever eaten there. Keep up the good work!!! I highly recommend this great full service hotel in a world full of budget and limited service places that don't give a d--.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. Your compliments are truly appreciated!