“Nice Hotel, Staff & Location”
Review of The Atherton Hotel

The Atherton Hotel
Ranked #14 of 26 Hotels in State College
Reviewed July 25, 2014

YES the Hotel is a little dated, However it is far better than the rating it has on TA ?
The staff are excellent, willing to help in any way they can, We stayed on the 6th floor and found our room to be quiet, in good condition with a very comfortable bed.
The air conditioning was noisy (no different than others in older hotels), but acted as "white noise". The location is excellent in that you can walk to restaurants and it has it's own car park in downtown State College, additionally has a bar and its own restaurant.
It certainly has it's quirks, but overall a good choice and quite charming.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Ceilings
TheAthertonHotel, General Manager at The Atherton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2014

Thank you for your comments and insight. We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your willingness to share your feedback with other travelers!

Reviewed July 23, 2014

Old school hotel with the expected Penn State charm. Bed was comfy. Bathroom was large but a little dated. A/C worked just fine. Close to everything PSU. Staff were wonderful, pleasant & very helpful. The biggest problem were the slow elevators. And if you consider that a problem ( which I don't really consider a problem), then this was one outstanding hotel!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
TheAthertonHotel, General Manager at The Atherton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2014

Dear Jody,
Thank you so much for your compliments about our hotel. We are so pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay in Downtown State College. Please know that this very week we have had the care of our elevators changed to a new company and we see that this has already made all the difference in their speed. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience. Please feel welcome to contact me personally any time you are returning to the area so that I can provide any assistance you may require with future reservations. Best Regards, Maggie Biddle

Reviewed July 21, 2014

Many other reviewers are quick to highlight the obvious issues with the hotel. I could list them too but I won't because, in the end, what really makes a stay at a hotel enjoyable is the staffs ability to accommodate you.

If you choose to stay here and something is the matter, give the hotel staff the opportunity to make it right. They did for me, and I appreciate it!

Room Tip: Lower floors would likely wait less time for an elevator.

Dear Craig,
Thank you for your complimentary review! I am very pleased to know that our staff was able to make a great impression, handle any requests or issues you experienced. We are really glad to know you enjoyed your time in downtown State College.

Reviewed July 21, 2014

Stayed here during Arts Festival. Acommodations were very adequate. Room was clean and king bed incredible. The a/c was somewhat noisy, but kept room very cool. Liked the fact that I could park the car and walk to everything in the downtown area.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Craig R.,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. It's great to know you enjoyed your stay downtown. We very much appreciate your positive comments and will look forward to having you stay with us again in the future. If I can highlight your guest profile for future stays to have your room set to your preferences for your next stay or provide any assistance during your next visit to State College, I hope you'll always feel welcome to call upon my staff and me.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

I came to Penn State for the Arts Festival with my husband and kids and to visit my other daughter in the area. The hotel was very nicely decorated with an older type feel to it that I enjoyed. The AC albeit a tad noisy cooled the room very quickly and I enjoyed being able to open my windows as well (weather permitting). The bed was very comfortable, but the pillows were a little thin for my taste, then again, I buy extra firm for my home. The front desk staff was excellent as far as making dinner suggestions or asking questions about the arts festival, even knowing which pages to find the maps and schedules for the arts fest booklet they provided. The bar was decent but we didn't spend too much time in there with three under-aged children. The wifi was a tad sketchy from time to time but after calling the front desk they were able to get me connected, I just needed to log in a few times if I didn't use my ipad for awhile.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for your lovely comments and feedback. We appreciate knowing when we have done a good job for our guests. If I can ever be of personal assistance to you during future visits I hope you will not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed July 15, 2014

Room did not have a Frig or microwave. TV volume control did not work right. Shower had poor water flow. Worst of all A/C unit did not work, on a hot July summer day. Not enough parking spaces for all hotel guest's.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
TheAthertonHotel, General Manager at The Atherton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2015

Thank you for choosing The Atherton Hotel and for sharing your insight and review.

I'm very sorry to know that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Please accept my most sincere apology for your disappointment. The hotel has recently replaced most all the heating and air conditioning units for guest rooms. Please know that we do offer refrigerators and microwaves in all of our guest rooms by request with our front desk.

If I can ever be of assistance to you in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at mpb@athertonhotel.net.

Best Regards,

Maggie Biddle

Reviewed July 10, 2014

Mold/Mildew in the shower joints, filthy carpets, nicked/worn paint on a lot of moldings, doorways, etc. TV had so so channels, and then it rained and we had no tv. The bathroom faux marble plasticy counter overlays say, 70's never updated and dingy. I normally am not too picky with beds and pillows but my goodness, this bed was sink in soft but so springy and thin it was terrible. The pillows were so cheap that you couldn't even stack them to give you any support. When putting your head down on them they flatten paper thin and basically vanished. Since being a CHOICE property it has become eh at best. It use to be an elegant, wonderful place, one of the best places in the area to stay. Not so much anymore, I think toftrees would have been a better gamble even with some of their reviews. Don't forget they charge you $7 to park per day and a $2 service fee per day, possibly per person too. Not sure what "service" I was paying for with that, maybe to lose my tv when it rained? Not impressed by anything at all, can't say that I will even look at it for future trips until they maybe one day renovate everything. I mean come on you charge $400+ a night for football weekends, use the years of gouging to make things new and clean.

2  Thank MgiclCastleMemres

I'm very sorry to know that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

Best Regards,